PC upgrade - CPU only - choice

maheshn

Journeyman
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Apps - MS Office (2007 or later), Audacity, Exact Audio Copy, XRecode II and other sound editing/conversion software
Games - Not the latest. Torchlight I/II, Diablo II, NFS HP, Shift, various old games from GOG

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans:20k approximate (stretchable to about max 25)

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans:NO.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans:Windows 7 or 8.1

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans:Already have 120GB SSD and 1TB HDD, will reuse.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans:No. Have LG 21" IPS LED.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans:Have entire system. Upgrading only CPU

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans:Within 2-3 weeks.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans:Have built (& serviced) before. Will be doing myself.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans:Kerala. Open to buying locally or online. Online seems to have a lot more choices & the local dealers tend to be way overpriced.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: Have 2 machines - Older one not being mentioned for now. Newer one is having Intel Pentium G-3220, Gigabyte Motherboard, GT960 (2GB), and 16GB G.Skill DDR3 RAM

Online options seen for CPU were i5-4460 for 14500/- or i5-4570 for 17600/-

Upgrading the CPU first. On searching, CPUBOSS site gives the following remarks favouring the faster CPU - i5-4570:

Higher turbo clock speed 3.6 GHz vs 3.4 GHz
Much better performance per dollar 5.57 pt/$ vs 4.34 pt/$
Significantly better PassMark score 7,068 vs 6,676
Better CompuBench 1.5 bitcoin mining score 12.56 mHash/s vs 4.55 mHash/s
Better performance per watt 10.61 pt/W vs 9.81 pt/W

However, when it comes to feature set, the i5 4460 seems to have more. Specifically, the following instruction sets are present in the i5-4460 but not in the 4570:

F16C
EM64T
FMA3

Otherwise they are identical.

Will this make any difference in real life use? Which one should I go for?

(P.S. upgrading board, cpu & RAM all at once to DDR4/LGA1151/Skylake considered, is out of budget for now).

jodo_c

Broken In
Those prices are very high. For 17k you can get I5 4690.( Which I think is better As far as my knowledge goes)
Buy Online Intel Core i5-4690 Haswell Quad-Core 3.5GHz LGA 1150 Desktop Processor ( BX80646I54690 ) price in India 17,000.00 - www.TheITWares.co

You should probally look locally. As the above site is may charge you shipping charges which I don't know how much will be to Kerala. You can check.
Before that please Give your Mobo and PSU model No.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
What mobo do you have? If its a Z series, buying a 4690k and OC'ing it later would make sense. Otherwise i5 4440 would do just fine for 12-13k.

Last edited:
OP
maheshn

maheshn

Journeyman
PSU - Corsair TX750v2 (Seasonic OEM)
Mobo - Gigabyte B85. Not going to OC, so don't need the K series.
[MENTION=289819]jodo_c[/MENTION] : where I'm staying, most of the shops are asking 2500 or more above the online price for *any* CPU. Some claim shortage, some are blaming octroi. Seems to be a sad situation.
[MENTION=145143]SaiyanGoku[/MENTION] - Thanks for the suggestion!

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Budget -25K

Intel Core i5 6500 -15000,
Gigabyte GA -150M-D3H -7500,
Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB 2400Mhz DDR4 -2500.
Total -25,000.

Sent from my ASUS_T00K using Tapatalk

OP
maheshn

maheshn

Journeyman
What mobo do you have? If its a Z series, buying a 4690k and OC'ing it later would make sense. Otherwise i5 4440 would do just fine for 12-13k.

Finally upgraded to an i5-4460 for 13k on Amazon lightning deal. (Thanks Goku & Sunil for your advice!)

Makes a nice difference in the daily use case :)

Top Bottom