PC shuts down after 30-40 mins...

Status
Not open for further replies.

vindance1

Journeyman
Hi friends. I have a PC with asrock H81 m - hds p1.40 motherboard, i3 4130 3.4 GHz processor and 4 GB ddr3 ram. 3 year old PC. Now motherboard is showing problem. PC automatically shuts down after 30 minutes or so and then starts only after giving break of 20 minutes or so. Also most USB ports and audio jack are not working. Please suggest the best new motherboard that I should buy now. Also please suggest if I should do any more upgrade. PC is used for general purpose and not for gaming but I want to keep options open for future RTS games.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Hi friends. I have a PC with asrock H81 m - hds p1.40 motherboard, i3 4130 3.4 GHz processor and 4 GB ddr3 ram. 3 year old PC. Now motherboard is showing problem. PC automatically shuts down after 30 minutes or so and then starts only after giving break of 20 minutes or so. Also most USB ports and audio jack are not working. Please suggest the best new motherboard that I should buy now. Also please suggest if I should do any more upgrade. PC is used for general purpose and not for gaming but I want to keep options open for future RTS games.

Thanks
GIGABYTE MOTHERBOARD GA-B85M-D3V-A (INTEL SOCKET 1150/4TH GENERATION CORE SERIES CPU/MAX 16GB DDR3-1600MHZ MEMORY)

OP
V

vindance1

Journeyman
GIGABYTE MOTHERBOARD GA-B85M-D3V-A (INTEL SOCKET 1150/4TH GENERATION CORE SERIES CPU/MAX 16GB DDR3-1600MHZ MEMORY)
Thanks so much for the response. Actually budget is not an issue, I want to get the best motherboard. Can you please suggest something better. Also could it be the issue of power supply that I am facing. Should I change that as well?

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Thanks so much for the response. Actually budget is not an issue, I want to get the best motherboard. Can you please suggest something better. Also could it be the issue of power supply that I am facing. Should I change that as well?
What is your current power supply?

OP
V

vindance1

Journeyman
Hello Friends,

My PC config is:
Intel I3 4130
MB-ASROCK H81 HDS
Antec power supply 450w

No gaming or graphics card. I am facing a problem that the PC shuts down automatically after 30 - 40 minutes and then it restarts only after 20-30 minutes and then again shuts down, every time the interval of operation reduces.

Can somebody please suggest what could be the issue and what needs to be done.

Thank you.

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
can you post a pic where the label is there on PSU if you think it is local ..

is it an abrupt shutdown as if somebody pulled off power suddenly from PC or an automatic windows shutdown with logging off etc ?

OP
V

vindance1

Journeyman
It is an abrupt shutdown with power loss. Also there is no label on the power related to model no. or anything. Just a small label with Antec 450W.

OP
V

vindance1

Journeyman
can you post a pic where the label is there on PSU if you think it is local ..

is it an abrupt shutdown as if somebody pulled off power suddenly from PC or an automatic windows shutdown with logging off etc ?
It is an abrupt shutdown with power loss. Also there is no label on the power related to model no. or anything. Just a small label with Antec 450W.

Flash

Lost in speed
Did you check the temperature of your PC? It might be because of overheating or your PSU is starting to die.

patkim

Cyborg Agent
the PC shuts down automatically after 30 - 40 minutes and then it restarts only after 20-30 minutes
-what do you mean by it restarts only after 20-30 minutes? Do you mean to say that you press the power button for 20-30 mins but nothing happens?
Likely components that may be causing this is faulty mobo and SMPS (PSU)
Some short of mobo with cabinet metal contact somewhere near screw might even cause this

Also using a suitable app monitor the CPU temperature and let us know if it's in limits

Does it happen randomly or when you are using some CPU intensive tasks like too many apps open, playing some games, ripping DVDs etc or does it happen even during very general purpose computing like just a browser window and may be some office file is open?

One somewhat complex task is to remove cabinet and run a bare PC with just SMPS, Mobo CPU, just one RAM stick and keyboard/mouse and observe the behavior if it repeats, also examine if the behavior repeats when you run a live linux os off USB

If you can get a SMPS from friend or from a local computer shop if you know someone there, try replacing that first and check.

Try connecting the system to another Mains point if possible.

When you press power button, does the system show a momentary life like fan spins for fraction of a sec and shut off?

Try paperclip test on SMPS (Google for more) and check if it runs. If you have a multimeter, measure the voltages. Don't keep it running like that for a long though.

When its basic PC just short the front panel pins where Power Switch connects to mobo to start it. Short it for extended period of 3 - 4 seconds and see if it makes any difference

Last edited:

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz

it appears to be a local PSU , the easiest way to confirm is to grab any other PSU and check with that .. if the issue still persists it is motherboard most likely

Last edited:
OP
V

vindance1

Journeyman
-what do you mean by it restarts only after 20-30 minutes? Do you mean to say that you press the power button for 20-30 mins but nothing happens?
Likely components that may be causing this is faulty mobo and SMPS (PSU)
Some short of mobo with cabinet metal contact somewhere near screw might even cause this

Also using a suitable app monitor the CPU temperature and let us know if it's in limits

Does it happen randomly or when you are using some CPU intensive tasks like too many apps open, playing some games, ripping DVDs etc or does it happen even during very general purpose computing like just a browser window and may be some office file is open?

One somewhat complex task is to remove cabinet and run a bare PC with just SMPS, Mobo CPU, just one RAM stick and keyboard/mouse and observe the behavior if it repeats, also examine if the behavior repeats when you run a live linux os off USB

If you can get a SMPS from friend or from a local computer shop if you know someone there, try replacing that first and check.

Try connecting the system to another Mains point if possible.

When you press power button, does the system show a momentary life like fan spins for fraction of a sec and shut off?

Try paperclip test on SMPS (Google for more) and check if it runs. If you have a multimeter, measure the voltages. Don't keep it running like that for a long though.

When its basic PC just short the front panel pins where Power Switch connects to mobo to start it. Short it for extended period of 3 - 4 seconds and see if it makes any difference

Wow. so many suggestions. Actually I am a novice and cant try so many things.

The PC goes off automatically. I dont have to press the power button. It just dies without windows shutdown. This happens just after using the PC for 30-40 mins and that too for just watching movie or even if the PC is idle. Then again wait for 30 minutes or so before it can restart. Upon immediately pressing the power button after auto kill, nothing happens.

I dont have any graphics card and the RAM stick is also only 1 x 4gb. I dont have access to any spare part and hence whatever I try I will have to purchase it.

Also front 2 x USB ports are not responding and audio jack stops working even if the audio wire of the speaker is just touched. Then it has to be reinserted and tried multiple times before it works.

Should I just go ahead and replace both MB and SMPS ? I which case please suggest the best in class for both. Budget is not an issue...

Thanks.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
I think there might be a grounding issue in your home and/or PC cabinet. Try using the mobo's box as a test bench and run it for one hour.

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
So the PSU doesn't have a proper label? Maybe it's installed in the wrong way with the actual label hidden on the opposite side?

patkim

Cyborg Agent
If you are not familiar with PC assembly then just take it to a nearby computer shop. The person shall may be charge you 100-200 Rs and nail down what component is faulty after a few tests. So that you can then decide what best alternatives to buy.

quicky008

Technomancer
Change the psu first and check if the problem persists-it might be on its last legs and hence providing sub-optimal voltage across all rails to the motherboard,thereby causing it to malfunction.

Even if the psu is ok i'd still suggest changing it as it appears to be a counterfeit unit and so its reliability is questionable.

OP
V

vindance1

Journeyman
Hi. I took the following picture. I have removed the HDD and dvd. Still when I switch on the power the fan of the CPU runs for 10 minutes or so then goes off. Then again I press the power switch and it runs for not more than a minute then again goes off... What do you guys think. Maybe the power supply is gone bust. Worked for 4 years...

If I have to change should I go for corsair rmx 750 or seasonic 550w... Budget not an issue. Just want the most sturdy one. There is power fluctuations in my house. I have a stabiliser but still. Please suggest the best PSU, maybe seasonic snow silent or something...

Also should I replace the MB? Front USB ports and both audio jack is not working.

Also I think I should get 1 more 4 GB ram stick. I have 1x4gb Kingston 1600 ddr3 hyperx blue. Which one should I get...

IMG_20171217_093806.jpg

IMG_20171217_093813.jpg

IMG_20171217_095034.jpg
IMG_20171217_095042.jpg

OP
V

vindance1

Journeyman
  1. Hi. I took the following picture. I have removed the HDD and dvd. Still when I switch on the power the fan of the CPU runs for 10 minutes or so then goes off. Then again I press the power switch and it runs for not more than a minute then again goes off... What do you guys think. Maybe the power supply is gone bust. Worked for 4 years...

If I have to change should I go for corsair rmx 750 or seasonic 550w... Budget not an issue. Just want the most sturdy one. There is power fluctuations in my house. I have a stabiliser but still. Please suggest the best PSU, maybe seasonic snow silent or something...

Also should I replace the MB? Front USB ports and both audio jack is not working.

Also I think I should get 1 more 4 GB ram stick. I have 1x4gb Kingston 1600 ddr3 hyperx blue. Which one should I get...

*geek.digit.in/community/attachments/img_20171217_093806-jpg.17171/
    IMG_20171217_093813.jpg
    IMG_20171217_095042.jpg
    IMG_20171217_095034.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom