Pc powers on but no display and hdd activity light

quicky008

Technomancer
Today in the afternoon i used my pc and shut it down. Later in the evening when i attempted to switch it back on, it turned on but didn't display anything and the hdd activity light was also completely inactive.

It was not switching off when i tried to turn it off using the power button on the case, so i had to power it down via the psu's power switch.

I tried to turn it on a few times after that but the results were still the same ie no display and hdd activity light.

What suddenly went wrong? The pc had been working fine thus far and had shown no symptoms of any possible malfunction earlier. Please advice how i should go about troubleshooting this issue.

Pc config.... I5 9400f, asus b365g mother board, 8*2 3000 mhz corsair ram, zotac 3060 ti, corsair txm 750.

120g pny ssd, 3 7200 rpm hdds

Do a CMOS reset - remove battery > press power button for 10s w/o power > turn it on w/o CMOS & check, later reinsert CMOS irrespective of if PC is working or not.

If still not working, test PSU:
landing.coolermaster.com/faq/how-to-test-a-power-supply/

Do check with single RAM, recheck all cables & stuff like that

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
After several attempts to start the pc,it suddenly booted up and displayed a message that the mobo is running "in safe mode" due to failed booting attempts earlier.

Thereafter i switched it on and off a couple of times and it posted fine on all occasions.

Idk whats going on.Quite strangely today itself i came across a post by another user in a FB group who mentioned that his mobo has suddenly died after working fine for 3 years,and weirdly enough he is having the exact same board as mine ie rog strix b365g gaming-one day it turned off abruptly while he was doing routine tasks like browsing and didn't turn on again.

My mobo is around 3 years old.About a month or 2 ago,it suddenly turned off after booting into windows,but worked fine on subsequent attempts to use the pc and didn't exhibit any symptoms of any impending malfunction.

Maybe this board is a finicky one and has a propensity to fail after a few years of use.

@omega44-xt if it fails to boot again i will test it in the manner you have suggested.I will remove the gpu and try to boot it up with just the bare minimum peripherals ie cpu,1 ram module and a low end spare gpu like gt 210.

if my mobo dies,then what will be a good replacement for it within a budget of 24-25k (just cpu and mobo)? Can i get decent performance if i pair a 12400f with a Budget h610 board?

For 25k, an i5 12400F + B660 is an option, but maybe R5 5600 + B550 will be a better choice because B550 is cheaper & upgradability of AM4 CPUs (you can get B550 mobo with decent VRM for 11k that can handle even 5800X3D, but not Intel side).

Nerevarine

Incarnate
there is no point to even consider upgradability of AM4 now, go with whats best bang for the buck. you will switch generations when you actually upgrade.

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
today in the morning when i started my pc it started to power cycle.Then i switched it off and restarted the system,when it booted up correctly.

tonight again the same symptoms ie power cycling at startup,but on restarting it didn't post.Even though its on,there is no display and the hdd activity light is non functional.

could it be a psu issue?

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
Even though i had not made any recent changes to the bios, do you think the bios settings may get corrupted/changed unexpectedly on its own?

I will try clearing the cmos today and see if it solves the issue. If not, then i will have to test the components individually.

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
I cleared the cmos, then proceeded to check the cmos battery. On testing it with a multimeter it gave a reading of 3 volts.

I think a reading of 3v without load is pretty low. Its quite possible that the battery is about to be depleted. I have replaced it with a new one.

As of now i am running the system with a gt 210 and so far there has been no further issues.

If a psu is bad, can it result in a system not POST ing when a gpu is installed that requires a 6/8 pin power connector to work?

I cleared the cmos, then proceeded to check the cmos battery. On testing it with a multimeter it gave a reading of 3 volts.

I think a reading of 3v without load is pretty low. Its quite possible that the battery is about to be depleted. I have replaced it with a new one.

As of now i am running the system with a gt 210 and so far there has been no further issues.

If a psu is bad, can it result in a system not POST ing when a gpu is installed that requires a 6/8 pin power connector to work?
IF PSU has issues, there should be booting issues, but what kind of issue will manifest, not sure.

Top Bottom