PC for Software Development

icefrog

Broken In
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Developing software applications based on Android, Java, Python, etc.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 50K (Can extend if it would help)

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows and Linux

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 1 TB

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: Yes 20" or 21" Full HD

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Keyboard, Mouse, UPS and Speaker

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: In a day or two

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Assembler

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: I do need to run Photoshop and other heavy applications too, so not sure which graphics card to chose.
I will need another 2 or 3 systems in a few months for the same purpose for my friends who will also join me.
Looking for a config that would last for a few years.

Thanks !

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Budget -58.2K

AMD Ryzen 3 2200G -8700,
MSI B350M-Pro VDH -6300,
Crucial Ballistix Elite 8GB DDR4 3000MHz -6200,
Zotac GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Mini -14800,
Corsair CX 550 -4500,
Antec GX200 -3000,
WD Caviar Blue 1TB -3500,
LG 22MP68VQ-P 22” LED IPS -8500, (paytm mall)
Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD -6200.

Total -58,200.
All prices are taken from mdcomputers.in

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since you are looking for config that would last for years it is better to get AMD system.Intel changes their socket type quite often so if you need a new mobo after 3-4 years you would be stuck with used or cheap oem mobo.AMD socket type stays same/supported for years so getting replacement mobo is not an issue.Just get a good B350 mobo from Asus/gigabyte as they have better after sales support.

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
If you'll be doing software dev, Linux support is highly desirable. Right now, the AMD Raven Ridge APUs aren't working well in Linux (boot failure, frequent hangs, no display at all, etc.). The situation will hopefully improve in the future, but it's pretty bad in Linux 4.15 (Ubuntu 18.04 will ship with this). So, I'd pick an Intel system.

AMD's Raven Ridge Botchy Linux Support Appears Worse With Some Motherboards/BIOS - Phoronix

Core i3 8100 - 9k
Intel h310 mobo - 4k (should be out in the first/second week of April if it's not already in stores).
8 GB DDR4 2400 - 6.5k
Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD - 6.5k
Corsair CX 450 - 3.2k
CM 311 cabinet - 2.5k (any cabinet you fancy)
22' display - 9k

I don't know if you need a graphics card for your workload. If you do, GTX 1050Ti is a decent budget pick. If you're not sure whether a graphics card will help, build the system without one and try it for a few days, and add a graphics card later if you feel you need one. FYI: GPU prices are sky high right now because of crypto mining, and nVidia Pascal cards are about 2 years old. The new nVidia GPUs (Turing?) are expected to arrive in Q3 2017.

Is the Intel 760p SSD available in India? If it is, the NVMe SSD would be better than the 860 EVO SATA SSD if it is about the same price.

Last edited:

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
PS

If you're mostly into mobile app dev / webdev, consider a macbook air. You can do iOS dev work in addition to Android, and it's portable. A lot of people use macbooks as desktops (closed-clamshell mode). But if you're looking for raw power, desktops are the way to go.

Last edited:

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
PS

If you're mostly into mobile app dev / webdev, consider a macbook air. You can do iOS dev work in addition to Android, and it's portable. A lot of people use macbooks as desktops (closed-clamshell mode). But if you're looking for raw power, desktops are the way to go.
Hackintosh would be better than underpowered overpriced macbook air.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Hackintosh would be better than underpowered overpriced macbook air.
For running pirated Logic X or Final Cut Pro X, yes but for app development, no.
Apple requires genuine team and developer certificates to publish to app store. If those certs are proved to be invalid, because of using Hackintosh, then the apps will be pulled from the store.
For general UI based apps, a macbook air is sufficient. You'd be surprised how well XCode runs on High Sierra running macbook air.
But for games and apps utilizing 3D, air is inadequate.
Regardless, if Op's target isnt apple ecosystem, then go with a windows or linux laptop, you will get much better hardware.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
I agree with @spikygv .I would also go with an intel system here. How ever i would go with i5 8400.
I am not sure about the need of a dedicated gpu here !
@op you have to be clear on the uses. 'Developing software applications' is not the only expected answer for first question. Be specific about the applications that will be used. In some cases a gpu will help in the case of photoshop, but then again it will depend up on the usage of filters embedded within it!
i would suggest the following config.
i5 8400 - 13.4k
msi z370a pro - 10.5k -Cheaper motherboards are not yet available I guess, but should launch sooner.
Gskill/corsair 8 GB DDR4 RAM - 6.7k
Corsair CX 450 -3.3k
corsair spec4-3k
WD Blue 1TB -3k
LG 22MP68VQ-P IPS -9.4k
Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD -6k
If storage space isn't an issue , get higher capacity ssd that will definitely help you for your uses.

OP
icefrog

icefrog

Broken In
hello all, can you suggest any i7 based config's , budget around 60K , graphics card can be left out if not required ...

few folks said better to go with i7, so thinking about it ...

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
hello all, can you suggest any i7 based config's , budget around 60K , graphics card can be left out if not required ...

few folks said better to go with i7, so thinking about it ...
Budget -59.7K

Intel Core i7 8700 -22800,
MSI H370 Gaming Plus -11900,
Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB 2400MHz DDR4 -6500,
Corsair CX 450 -4500,
Antec GX200 -3000,
WD Caviar Blue 1TB -3500,
LG 22MP68VQ-P 22” LED IPS -8500. (paytm mall)

Total -59,700.
All prices are taken from mdcomputers.in

Last edited:

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
OMFG stop suggesting ZXXX with non K, its triggering.
mdcomputers has H series in stock.

that is really a poor thinking!
Going with z370 board with a non-k does not make anything worse. Most probably z370 boards will be the only one with multi GPU(SLI) support(There is Q370, haven't seen anything out in the market though). Although not very common,not unseen either. Secondly expensive boards will have better components built in it, better voltage regulators and more power phases makes it a viable option for those who would like keep the setup for a little longer time. It goes to individual preference although does not make a reason to 'trigger'.

Last edited:
OP
icefrog

icefrog

Broken In
Hello,

I have arrived at the below configuration based on your valuable inputs.

Please do let me know if any changes would help, or the below config. is good to go.

i5-7400
Gigabyte B250M-DS3H
Corsair Vengeance 8GB
WD 1TB HDD
LG 22MP68VQ-P Full HD IPS LED Monitor
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 250GB
Antec Cabinet
Corsair 550W SMPS

I will be adding a mid-level graphics card if required in future.

Thanks ...

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Hello,

Please do let me know if any changes would help, or the below config. is good to go.

i5-7400
Gigabyte B250M-DS3H
Corsair Vengeance 8GB
WD 1TB HDD
LG 22MP68VQ-P Full HD IPS LED Monitor
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 250GB
Antec Cabinet
Corsair 550W SMPS

I will be adding a mid-level graphics card if required in future.

Thanks ...
Not good enough. Wait for ryzen gen 2.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Hello,

i5-7400
Gigabyte B250M-DS3H

Thanks ...

i5 7400 is a 4 core 4 thread cpu where as i5 8400 is a 6 core 6 thread cpu and may be even available at a cheaper rate. there is no point in going with 7th gen when 8th CPUs are readily available.

Top Bottom