pc for heavy number crunching

Status
Not open for further replies.

geekgod

Journeyman
i'm planning to dump my athlonxp 2000+/a7n266vm/256 ddr266 ram combination for a new one, and my budget is arnd 17k, max 20k.
now the primary purpose of my pc will be large amounts of number crunching, data analysis, mathematical modeling with matlab, neural network programming and simulation etc.

i know that athlon64 machines have established themselves as the best gaming rigs available..but how good are they at handling numbers?or is intel better in that scenerio?

i'd like ur inputs in this matter...and also the best combination of processor, motherboard, ram and graphics card(if needed) to suit my purpose.
my present cabinet is a frontech generic cabinet with a 300 watt power supply and an 80 mm input fan.its more or less roomy.do i need any change in that?

p.s: though i mentioned my primary need, i might add that i like playing games a lot..so please keep that in mind while suggesting me the config..;-).

Last edited:

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
If you try to squeeze 'processor, motherboard, ram and graphics card' in 20K, you'll end up with a PC that's neither good at number crunching nor at games. I would suggest you to either bump the budget up by 10K or give the gaming requirement a miss. :)

shaunak

Tux Fan
heavy number crunching and 'light gaming' i would say intel dual core and a cheap gfx card. onboard would also b fine to play older games.
however for gaming save on the processor and go for a powerfull gfx card. actualy in ~20k you cant mix both. either crunch numbers of crunch graphics.

Last edited:
OP
G

geekgod

Journeyman
well as i said..my primary concern is number crunching..so if u people suggest it, i'll do away with a graphics card and go for an onboard solution with a lot of good quality ram and a slightly high clocked processor..

i had the following two in mind..

athlon64 3500
Gigabyte K8N51GMF-9/Asus A8N-VM
corsair 2*512 mb ddr400 ram

or

athlon64 3200
Asus A8N-E
2*256 mb Hynix/transcend ddr400 ram
xfx geforce 6200

i think both are going to come within 20k

my reason for the second choice is the nforce4 ultra chipset..i hear both offer more or less the the same features, but performance wise,is there a noticeable difference between the nforce4 ultra and the nforce 430/geforce 6100 chipsets?
also, have the geforce 6150 variants yet been released in india?

@shaunak : i have very little idea about the available intel products in india..so could u please elaborate on what u suggest?

shaunak

Tux Fan
you can go in for the intel D 820 or 830 processor with clock speeds of 2.8ghz and 3ghz respectively. higher clock speeds ane available at higher prices of cource. i would the 830 D has support for newer intel priority techs thus i feel it would be better.
Furthur details go here

for the mobo you can go for the intel Intel® 945G Express Chipset board.

contact info:
India

Andhra Pradesh

Secunderabad 1
DBS Business Center, 1/Fl
1-7-43-46 Sardar Patel Road
Secunderabad
Andhra Pradesh 500 003
India

Bangalore Locations

Intel Technology India Pvt. Ltd.
# 136, Airport Road,
Bangalore 560 017
India

Prestige Solitare 1
6 Brunton Road
Bangalore
Karnataka 560 001
India

Salarpuria 1
Salarpuria Chambers
28, Cubbon Road
Bangalore
Karnataka 560 001
India

Sarjapur 1, 2
Devarabisanahalli Village
Sarjapur Ring Road
Bangalore
Karnataka 560 037
India

IDC Salarpuria Supreme
92/5, Munnekolalu Village
Varthur Hobli, Bangalore South
Bangalore
Karnataka 560 037
India

Chandigarh

Chandigarh Building 1
Office 2000 Business Centre
2nd Floor, SCO 19, Sector 17-E
Chandigarh 160017
India

Pune

City Point 1
Unit No 305, City Point
Dhole Patil Road
Pune
Maharashtra 411 001
India

Intel Field Sales Offices

Avenue Center Hotel 4/Fl, #402
Panampilly Nagar
Cochin
Kerala 682 036
India

Devashish 1
Devashish Building, 4th Floor
Off C G Road
Ahmedabad
Gujarat 380009
India

Intel Technology India Pvt. Ltd.
# 136, Airport Road,
Bangalore 560 017
India

DBS Corporate Club 31A
Cathedral Garden Road
Chennai
Tamil Nadu 600 034
India

Intel Asia Electronics
Block A, 8th Fl, Suite 9, 10, 12
15 Park St, Apeejay House
Kolkata
West Bengal 700016
India

3F, B Wing, Pt II Exchange Plz
Block G, Bandra-Kurla Complex
Mumbai
Maharashtra 400051
India

Upper Ground Fl, Block E
Int'l Trade Tower, Nehru Place
New Delhi
Delhi 110 019
India

21 Nehru Place, Suite 311
Paharpur Business Centre
New Delhi
Delhi 110 019
India

OP
G

geekgod

Journeyman
@shanak : can you give me the approx prices of the processors and the mobos? also do u suggest i go for asus or intel?

they are not listed in deltapage btw..

OP
G

geekgod

Journeyman
cmon guys..why is no one replying?
i want ur views on this...
i am willing to extend my budget to 25k..any improvements u might suggest?
i am waiting..

Last edited:
geekgod said:
cmon guys..why is no one replying?
i want ur views on this...
i am willing to extend my budget to 25k..any improvements u might suggest?
i am waiting..
AMD X2 Dual Core 64Bit 3800+ - Rs 16000
Asus A8N-E - Rs 5500
2 x 512MB (1GB) Transcend DDR400Mhz RAM - Rs 4100
Leadtek/XFX Geforce 6200TC 64Mb onboard PCI-X GC - Rs 2500 (Better than onboard 6100)

total 28000

or

AMD X2 Dual Core 64Bit 3800+ - Rs 16000
Gigabyte K8N51PVMT-9 6150 - Rs 4400 (Slightly better chipset than 6100)
2 x 512MB (1GB) Transcend DDR400Mhz RAM - Rs 4100

TOtal 24500

OP
G

geekgod

Journeyman
@chhota rod waala :
thank you for your input..
you see..the first of ur suggestions is a bit above my budget..considering the fact that i would also probably have to buy a new chassis and psu(waiting for views on that)

i was thinking...the A8N-E is a very good board to oc..so if i get an athlon64 3500 on an A8N-E and then oc it..how good will that be?
also performance wise..it is better than the geforce6100 chipset..

waiting for ur replies...

thanx..

go for the second

the nforce430 (6150) chipset offers same performace as the Nforce4

The nforce4 chipset will give much stabiliy for oc while in the nforce430 the performance boost by oc will be less

if u are looking to overclock then go for biostar 6100 or asrock .they are better overclockers than ASUS A8N-E and cost less.But warranty support will be an isssue

u can try for second option *dual core is the way to go

MysticHalo

Your Maker.
Intel is better in assembly operations, and should be in no. crunching as well. But the Intel Dual Core that'll suit ur 20k budget is D 805, which is the *WORST* dual core pocessor out there. dual core is for Multitasking, for ur job, u may try Intel P4 HT 3 ghz. But again, that may stretch the budget.
Second, no need for separate gfx card(unless Simulation component is very high)
If going for Intel, get an Intel chipset Intel mobo rather than asus or gigabyte.

OP
G

geekgod

Journeyman
MysticHalo said:
If going for Intel, get an Intel chipset Intel mobo rather than asus or gigabyte.
why are you saying that?
i was reading somewhere that true multitasking software that fully utilise SMP are not very large in numbers..
so is getting a dual core justified?

forgive my ignorance..
thanx..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom