PC for 40k with upgrade options

Status
Not open for further replies.

spm

Journeyman
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Main uses will be Photoshop, Lightroom, Luminar, Online trading, Web browsing (usually around 25 tabs in chrome), Video playback and some spreadsheet.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: overall budget is 40k. Can stretch to 45k.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 10

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: Has a Samsung Evo 860 250GB and bunch of HDDs. Planning to use that. Thought of upgrading to NVMe later (suggestions on this)

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: Want to buy monitor. Somewhere 24" or higher, 1080p atleast. IPS panel or better. Do not care about response time. Colour accuracy and coverage is important.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD. (Given the limited budget should I opt for NVMe drive now itself)

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Within 2 weeks. Parts availability is an issue due to Covid. Can wait a bit longer if needed as I dont want to buy when prices are high.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Will be building it myself.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Kerala. Planning to get it online. If anyone can mention any good places in ernakulam, I can try that too.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: I know the budget is tight. The original plan was for a laptop. Since something decent would cost me upwards of 80k with no upgrade options, I settled for desktop.
I know 40k is very limited budget. I plan to upgrade the system from here as cash flow stabilises. I think AMD provides better upgrade path (correct me if wrong).
Thanks in advance to all the good people in here.

EDIT: Have inverter at home so, UPS wont be necessary.
Dont like RGB lighting so if possible would like to avoid components with RGB. Likes Understated and minimal design. (Only if possible in budget. Can compromise for performance)

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Buy Online AMD Ryzen 3 3200G with Radeon Vega 8 Graphics 3rd Gen Desktop Processor YD3200C5FHBOX - in India OR AMD RYZEN 3 3200G WITH RADEON RX VEGA 8 GRAPHICS PROCESSOR ( upto 4.0 GHz / 6 MB cache) OR Buy Amd Quad Core Ryzen 3 3200G (YD3200C5FHBOX) at Best Price in India - mdcomputers.in ~7800
Buy Online Asrock B450 Pro4 AMD AM4 Socket Motherboard lowest price in india at www.theitdepot.com OR Buy Online ASRock B450 PRO4 AM4 AMD Promontory ATX AMD Motherboard - in India ~7400
Buy Online G.Skill RipjawsV F4-3200C16S-16GVK 16 GB DDR4 RAM Memory - in India 7200
Buy Online CORSAIR CX550 550 Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certification PSU CP-9020121-UK - in India ~4600
Corsair Carbide Series CC-9011050-WW Mid-Tower Steel Gaming Case with Red LED (Black) 3200
Amazon.in: Buy LG 24 inch Gaming Monitor - 1ms, 75Hz, AMD Freesync, Full HD, IPS Panel with VGA, HDMI, Display Port, 24MP59G (Black) Online at Low Prices in India | LG Reviews & Ratings 9900
Logitech Mk 120 Wired Combo 800

Above is without ups assuming you have home inverter but still you can buy some local intex/iball/zebronics 600VA ups for ~1600. You can also compare/negotiate prices for above parts on all 4 sites(mdcomputers,vedantcomputers,primeabgb & theitdepot) to see which one gets you cheapest to your home location.

P.S. Confirm over phone/email that mobo default bios supports ryzen 3200G but 99% chance it will as long as mobo manufacturing date is Sep 2019 or later.

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 2400G - 10k

Mobo - Asrock B450 Pro4 ATX - 7.4k*

RAM - 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz - 7.2k

GPU - None

SSD - Yours

HDD - Yours

PSU - Corsair CX450 - 3.4k

Cabinet - Corsair SPEC 01 - 2.9k

Monitor - BenQ GW2480 24" 1080p IPS - 9.5k

Total - 40.4k

Future Upgrades:
M.2 SSD shouldn't be required as 860 Evo is a top-class SATA SSD. Right now there's no appreciable real-life difference in performance between SATA & NVMe SSD.

Buy more RAM if 16GB feels low, mobo will have 4 slots.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Budget -44.6K (AMD APU Rig)

Processor -AMD Ryzen 5 3400G -13.1K
Motherboard -Asrock B450 Pro4 -7.4k
RAM -ADATA XPG D30 16GB(8GBx2) 3200Mhz -6.3k
SSD -Already Have
HDD -Already Have
GPU -Onboard
PSU -Antec NE550M 550w -4k
Cabinet -Antec GX202 Blue -3.2k
Monitor -BenQ GW2480 24inch FHD LED IPS -9.3k
KB Combo -ANT E-Sports KM540W Gaming Combo -1.3k

Total -44.6k

All above prices are taken from primeabgb.com unless specified otherwise.

OP
S

spm

Journeyman
Buy Online AMD Ryzen 3 3200G with Radeon Vega 8 Graphics 3rd Gen Desktop Processor YD3200C5FHBOX - in India OR AMD RYZEN 3 3200G WITH RADEON RX VEGA 8 GRAPHICS PROCESSOR ( upto 4.0 GHz / 6 MB cache) OR Buy Amd Quad Core Ryzen 3 3200G (YD3200C5FHBOX) at Best Price in India - mdcomputers.in ~7800
Buy Online Asrock B450 Pro4 AMD AM4 Socket Motherboard lowest price in india at www.theitdepot.com OR Buy Online ASRock B450 PRO4 AM4 AMD Promontory ATX AMD Motherboard - in India ~7400
Buy Online G.Skill RipjawsV F4-3200C16S-16GVK 16 GB DDR4 RAM Memory - in India 7200
Buy Online CORSAIR CX550 550 Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certification PSU CP-9020121-UK - in India ~4600
Corsair Carbide Series CC-9011050-WW Mid-Tower Steel Gaming Case with Red LED (Black) 3200
Amazon.in: Buy LG 24 inch Gaming Monitor - 1ms, 75Hz, AMD Freesync, Full HD, IPS Panel with VGA, HDMI, Display Port, 24MP59G (Black) Online at Low Prices in India | LG Reviews & Ratings 9900
Logitech Mk 120 Wired Combo 800

Above is without ups assuming you have home inverter but still you can buy some local intex/iball/zebronics 600VA ups for ~1600. You can also compare/negotiate prices for above parts on all 4 sites(mdcomputers,vedantcomputers,primeabgb & theitdepot) to see which one gets you cheapest to your home location.

P.S. Confirm over phone/email that mobo default bios supports ryzen 3200G but 99% chance it will as long as mobo manufacturing date is Sep 2019 or later.

Thanks for the reply with the links. Helps to avoid the search. I had a few queries.
1. What is Promontory B450? Googled it but couldn't find anything credible. Is it just a marketing term?

2. Should I go for dual channel memory in 2x8 config. Since 2x8 Configs are mainly out of stock can I use two of these (Buy Online Adata XPG Gammix D30 8GB (1 X 8GB) 3000MHz DDR4 Memory - Red (AX4U300038G16A-SR30) lowest price in india at www.theitdepot.com)

3. Is there any other option for cabinet. (Only if possible within the budget) I dont like flashy lights & RGB.

4. How is BenQ GW2480 - mdcomputers.in this monitor compared to the LG one mentioned. concerned with the colour reproduction and reading (spends long hours in front of the computer).

5. Is there a possibility to negotiate price with these online stores?

6. What do you recommend for the future upgrade path?

About the UPS, yes I have inverter at home but I guess will need UPS as the switching time delay is more in my home UPS.

Thanks for the reply with the links. Helps to avoid the search. I had a few queries.
1. What is Promontory B450? Googled it but couldn't find anything credible. Is it just a marketing term?

2. Should I go for dual channel memory in 2x8 config. Since 2x8 Configs are mainly out of stock can I use two of these (Buy Online Adata XPG Gammix D30 8GB (1 X 8GB) 3000MHz DDR4 Memory - Red (AX4U300038G16A-SR30) lowest price in india at www.theitdepot.com)

3. Is there any other option for cabinet. (Only if possible within the budget) I dont like flashy lights & RGB.

4. How is BenQ GW2480 - mdcomputers.in this monitor compared to the LG one mentioned. concerned with the colour reproduction and reading (spends long hours in front of the computer).

About the UPS, yes I have inverter at home but I guess will need UPS as the switching time delay is more in my home UPS.
1. Nothing to worry about, I searched about it once, didn't find anything important

2. Dual-channel is recommended, but since you aren't gaming or doing other high performance tasks, 1x16GB isn't bad. You can buy 2 RAM sticks separately, same model & spec is preferred.

3. For truly stealthy, get Corsair 100R. Corsair SPEC 01 has red LEDs as well, but not much noticeable.

4. LG one with 75Hz has 6 bit + FRC panel vs 8 bit on BenQ

5. I don't think so

6. Nothing much, just add RAM if 16GB feels low

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member

1. It was just a name used by AMD for their chipset series.

2. Dual channel memory is indeed better especially with ryzen integrated graphics but for your usage I think 16gb is minimum for now & in future you may need to add another 16gb hence suggested single 16gb for now.

3. Corsair 100R used to be available on amazon for 3100 just a few days back but currently out of stock & this spec-01 is the next best/only option ~3k for a good cabinet. If you can wait or get it from local market then corsair 100R for ~3100 is perfect for you.

4. I didn't know LG 24MP59G has 6bit colours else would not have suggested it. @omega44-xt you told me that this model is similar to 22MP68 in another thread so I assumed it was also having 8bit colour. In that case isn't it better not to suggest this monitor over smaller but better 22MP68 model.

5. There is a possibility especially regarding mode of payment. When you pay via card/internet banking on their site then there is a commission which they need to pay to payment gateway which is passed on to you/buyer resulting in some extra 100-200 cost. In my experience negotiating payment via neft/imps/upi results in a bit lower prices.

6. Depends on your usage. If the work you do(various filters & processing tools) relies more on processor then you can upgrade to 6/8 core processor in future & if your work relies more on graphics card then you can buy a 10-12k price range graphics card later.

OP
S

spm

Journeyman
Thank you guys.
I was originally planning for this motherboard MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX. Didnt even notice Asrock B450 Pro4. But the asrock is suberb.
So motherboard is fixed.
Ram will check with local vendor too, if dual channel and single channel much difference is not there, then I guess will go for dual channel.
The corsair 100R was perfect but out of stock. Will check with local vendors too.
Monitor Out of the ones suggested I think Benq is the better one.

Confused about the CPU and Case
CPU: AMD 2400G vs 3200G

My exact workload will be
RAW image processing in lightroom,
AI based enhance in Luminar,
Composite imaging with say upto 10 RAW images in photoshop with masks and some filters,
online trading and web browsing (I think that should be fine with both).
spreadsheet (nothing fancy, just some basic formula and all)

So given this workload will the 2400G with SMT bring more performance than the 3200G and what are the other differences. 3200 is the ZEN 2 part so are there any other advantages.

Case: Is this a good choice for case Buy Online Aerocool Aero-300 Mid Tower Case lowest price in india at www.theitdepot.com

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Asrock B450 Pro 4 is the best ryzen mobo under 10k price range except for msi B450M Mortar Max which cost almost 10k but is m-ATX form factor & has 4 sata ports. You can go with 2400G, I forgot that 2400G has 8 threads compared to 4 threads of 3200G even if both are quad core processors. That Aerocool cabinet looks ok but corsair 100R is much better so I suggest to wait for it.

OP
S

spm

Journeyman
k Thank you guys.
Will keep you guys posted on the build.
Keep those suggestions coming. Thank you

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Any suggestions regarding shops in ernakulam/kochi to get this stuff.
Local shops will probably cost more & there is almost no benefit because in case of any warranty claim you will have to take it to same service centre whether bought online or from local shop. In fact getting from above online shops is a bit better because all of these online shops are also the largest physical shops in their cities(Kolkata,Mumbai,Chennai) & are also official distributors of many pc component brands in India.

Any suggestions regarding shops in ernakulam/kochi to get this stuff.
If possible, just go out & try to find what's available. Check just dial for computer shops, Kochi is a big city, so they should have phone numbers of a lot fo them. Maybe Kochi has some place where there are a lot of computer shops, like SP Road, Bengaluru or Chandini, Kolkata or Nehru Place, Delhi.

4. I didn't know LG 24MP59G has 6bit colours else would not have suggested it. @omega44-xt you told me that this model is similar to 22MP68 in another thread so I assumed it was also having 8bit colour. In that case isn't it better not to suggest this monitor over smaller but better 22MP68 model.
I don't know if the 22" one has 8 bit panel as LG website doesn't mention it, whereas for the 24" one, 6bit + FRC is mentioned. I assumed the former has that as well. Anyways that LG 24" is the cheapest monitor with freesync, 75Hz & a DP, so good for gamers.

Thank you guys.
I was originally planning for this motherboard MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX. Didnt even notice Asrock B450 Pro4. But the asrock is suberb.
So motherboard is fixed.
Ram will check with local vendor too, if dual channel and single channel much difference is not there, then I guess will go for dual channel.
The corsair 100R was perfect but out of stock. Will check with local vendors too.
Monitor Out of the ones suggested I think Benq is the better one.

Confused about the CPU and Case
CPU: AMD 2400G vs 3200G

My exact workload will be
RAW image processing in lightroom,
AI based enhance in Luminar,
Composite imaging with say upto 10 RAW images in photoshop with masks and some filters,
online trading and web browsing (I think that should be fine with both).
spreadsheet (nothing fancy, just some basic formula and all)

So given this workload will the 2400G with SMT bring more performance than the 3200G and what are the other differences. 3200 is the ZEN 2 part so are there any other advantages.

Case: Is this a good choice for case Buy Online Aerocool Aero-300 Mid Tower Case lowest price in india at www.theitdepot.com
R5 2400G is better than R3 3200G, as said earlier, 4c/8t vs 4c/4t.

R3 3200G isn't based on Zen2 7nm, so not a real Ryzen 3000 part like non-APU ones.

If you can, Corsair 100R is from a much more reputed company & is likely built better, so get that.

True Zen2 rig:

CPU - AMD Ryzen 3 3100 - 8.6k

Mobo - Asrock B450 Pro4 ATX - 7k*

RAM - 1x16GB DDR4 3000MHz - 6k

GPU - New GT 1030 - 6.5k

SSD - Yours

HDD - Yours

PSU - Corsair CX450 - 3.5k

Cabinet - Corsair SPEC 01 - 2.9k

Monitor - BenQ GW2480 24" 1080p IPS - 9.5k

Total - 44k

* ASUS TUF B450M Pro Gaming - 8k is another good option, both need the latest BIOS to run 3rd gen Ryzen CPUs, but most seller have latest stock with BIOS pre-installed these days.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't know if the 22" one has 8 bit panel as LG website doesn't mention it

*www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/689a110c
1591422689429.png

I should have checked this site as I used to do it earlier.
*www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/95b6b21
1591422788401.png

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I didn't know about that website, thanks. Strange though, why LG put a 6bit+FRC on that 24" vs 8bit on 22". Not sure how much cost a DP adds as well.
Obviously cost cutting & trying to cash on popularity of earlier models, unfortunately many other companies try this tactic too & that's why I suggest to not just rely on brand name/series history when pc components/electronics products are concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom