PC Configuration for Data Analytics (WorkStation Powerhorse). Budget around 1Lakh

PrasOnWeb

Broken In
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans:
Mainly for Programming & Data Analytics(Very important) . Data Analytics to be done using MSSQL (DB size more than 100GB) as I am developing some algorithm. Later on, I do plan to make use of deep learning. Hence, I will add better Graphics card at a later stage(Need bare minimum to start with). There will be a lot of read and write operations (May be 50-60GB Write per day on some days. )

Please do suggest a good motherboard which will help me in adding additional components later (may be 2 graphics card). The max RAM supported should be high.

It is very important that there are no bottlenecks between CPU, Memory/Ram & HDD/& SSD (File IO Operations). Hence would prefer a good cpu (preferably AMD), RAM (High frequency & compatible )

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 1 Lakh. Can be extended, if really needed.

Price of Monitor can be excluded from the budget. However, please do suggest a good monitor(large size).

Graphics card price can also be excluded from the budget as I am planning to have better gpus later when the price drop happens. Will start with minimum.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Absolutely Yes.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 10. May be Ubuntu as well. Multiple Partitions.

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: Maybe 1/2 TB of 7200/10000/?higher rpm drive. (Enterprise class.) Should be very robust. Data loss would be a nightmare.
& SSD

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: Equivalnet or Higher than 1920*1080. Size 24 linch /27 inch(preferred)/higher?

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: except monitor.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Within 1-2 weeks.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Yes. I can do the assembling. Not sure about the Liquid cooling though. However, should be able to do it.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Live in Delhi.

I can buy locally if you can suggest the right place to buy. What would you suggest about Nehru Place ? Have heard good/bad stories about cost to cost /smc international/ Computer Empre.

I am open to buy some/all components online.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans:

It is very important that there are no bottlenecks between CPU, Memory/Ram & HDD/& SSD (File IO Operations). Hence would prefer a good cpu (preferably AMD), RAM (High frequency & compatible ).

Please do suggest good GPUs for my planned future purchase.

The Cabinet should option to add extra fans. Please do suffest some good fans as well.

Last edited:

nac

Aspiring Novelist
This may overshoot your budget depends on the choice of components you pick.

Ryzen 7 2700X
- Wraith Prism is quite good (some claim it's as good or close to CM Hyper 212), use it and see if it's good enough or you need AIO liquid cooling.
ASUS Prime X470 Pro
Adata XPG Spectrix D40 3200mhz 2x8GB DDR4
- Though cpu/mb combo could do 3600mhz, I don't think it's worth the premium you pay.

GPU

Bare minimum means just to get display out - GT 710 1GB
Bare minimum for deep learning - used GTX 950 in warranty if possible.
Since you're gonna buy a better GPU later, it's better to go for used now.

Antec High Current 850w Gold Modular or Corsair TX850M Gold Semi modular
- I don't know how serious you're about overclocking and crossfire/sli. If you think you would go crazy with that, you may even need ~1200w PSU
- If you don't crossfire/sli some beefy GPUs and won't go crazy with OC, then ~ 550w should suffice.

Cabinet of your choice. Just make sure its good enough for all your components.
Samsung 860 Pro 256GB and WD Gold 7200rpm 2TB
Logitech KB and Mouse

OP
P

PrasOnWeb

Broken In
This may overshoot your budget depends on the choice of components you pick.

Ryzen 7 2700X
- Wraith Prism is quite good (some claim it's as good or close to CM Hyper 212), use it and see if it's good enough or you need AIO liquid cooling.
ASUS Prime X470 Pro
Adata XPG Spectrix D40 3200mhz 2x8GB DDR4
- Though cpu/mb combo could do 3600mhz, I don't think it's worth the premium you pay.

GPU

Bare minimum means just to get display out - GT 710 1GB
Bare minimum for deep learning - used GTX 950 in warranty if possible.
Since you're gonna buy a better GPU later, it's better to go for used now.

Antec High Current 850w Gold Modular or Corsair TX850M Gold Semi modular
- I don't know how serious you're about overclocking and crossfire/sli. If you think you would go crazy with that, you may even need ~1200w PSU
- If you don't crossfire/sli some beefy GPUs and won't go crazy with OC, then ~ 550w should suffice.

Cabinet of your choice. Just make sure its good enough for all your components.
Samsung 860 Pro 256GB and WD Gold 7200rpm 2TB
Logitech KB and Mouse

Thanks "nac" for your very good suggestions.

I am fine if the budget overshoots 100k. I was also leaning towards Ryzen 7 2700x & 470 Motherboard. I really appreciate your suggestions regarding other components such as HDD viz. WD Gold which seems to be enterprise class and hence, more reliable.

Thank you billubakra for bringing this post to forum seniors attention. I really appreciate it.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
@nac Don't take it otherwise but what is it with adata ram that everybody is recommending them here even for builds like these.Am I missing some great discount offer or similar?As far as I know TridentZ is considered as the leader in ram on global sites/boards especially for Ryzen system.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
@PrasOnWeb If you want real good data loss security then just buy MS Office 365 5 users pack that costs ~4100(on prime day deal it was available for 2999,one of the best deal in my opinion on that day though not many took it) per year & comes with 5TB of one drive space(1TB per user) instead of spending money on costly enterprise drives. No amount of consumer efforts regarding data security will match the resources of MS,google or Amazon & out of these 3,MS one drive is the cheapest.

Minion

Conversation Architect
AMD RYZEN 7 2700x Desktop Processor-27000
Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING-14,000
ADATA 8GB DDR4 RGB AX4U300038G16-SRSx2-14000
WESTERN DIGITAL DESKTOP HARD DRIVE 2TB BLUE (WD20EZRZ)-4,600
SAMSUNG 860 EVO 250GB M.2-6,400
ZOTAC GT 710 1GB DDR3 Zone-2,700
CORSAIR RM650X-8,300
FRACTAL DESIGN MESHIFY C BLACK CASE FD-CA-MESH-C-BKO-TGL-7,300(Best cooling computer case)
LG 24MP88HV-14,600

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^Please don't use all bold text in posts,it is meant for highlighting something.Furthermore keep text size standard because making it all large gives impression that your post has something special that others are missing(in their regular font size posts).

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
No suggestion for NVME drive till now,M2 drives comes in two formats: sata & NVMe. Using a sata m2 drive disables 1 sata port on mobo as it is just like a sata drive(hence performance wise same as sata) while using NVMe drive(pcie x4,these are the real performance drives assuming from brands like samsung) usually disable 2 sata ports on AMD mobos because of fewer pcie lanes on these mobos.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Using the M.2. NVME labelled drive on a Asrock B350 Pro4 disables the second PCI E x16 slot, on my motherboard. Havent tested on my system, but thats what official documentation says.
Unsure about X470 spec, but I think it can accomodate 1 NVME M.2. drive + dual GPUs as is OP's requirement.
Still, running GPUs at x4 speed seems like a terrible waste of performance. (Although if Deep Learning is anything like mining) it shouldnt matter very much.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
@nac Don't take it otherwise but what is it with adata ram that everybody is recommending them here even for builds like these.Am I missing some great discount offer or similar?As far as I know TridentZ is considered as the leader in ram on global sites/boards especially for Ryzen system.
No, you aren't missing anything. Just that slightly better pricing and lifetime warranty.
Tridentz is good, and yeah rated one among the top by the reviewers.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
No, you aren't missing anything. Just that slightly better pricing and lifetime warranty.
Tridentz is good, and yeah rated one among the top by the reviewers.
Lifetime? Hain. How much does a 8 gigs of the same cost? My friend is building a pc, will suggest this to him.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
^ Not just this model, all ADATA ram sticks have lifetime warranty.
Not everyone, in fact most of the people don't keep the same system for over a decade. So pretty much all the brands being suggested here have 10yrs warranty, that should be good enough.
BTW, price would be about 8k for this model's 8GB variant - single stick.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
ADATA AX4U320038G16-SRS Desktop Ram XPG SPECTRIX D40 Series - 8GB (8GBx1) DDR4 3200MHz RGB

OP
P

PrasOnWeb

Broken In
@PrasOnWeb If you want real good data loss security then just buy MS Office 365 5 users pack that costs ~4100(on prime day deal it was available for 2999,one of the best deal in my opinion on that day though not many took it) per year & comes with 5TB of one drive space(1TB per user) instead of spending money on costly enterprise drives. No amount of consumer efforts regarding data security will match the resources of MS,google or Amazon & out of these 3,MS one drive is the cheapest.
Whitestar_999 : Thank you for your valuable suggestion. I will also purchase the license apart from Going for enterprise level hdd. It's ok to pay a few thousands more for the peace of mind.

OP
P

PrasOnWeb

Broken In
AMD RYZEN 7 2700x Desktop Processor-27000
Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING-14,000
ADATA 8GB DDR4 RGB AX4U300038G16-SRSx2-14000

WESTERN DIGITAL DESKTOP HARD DRIVE 2TB BLUE (WD20EZRZ)-4,600
SAMSUNG 860 EVO 250GB M.2-6,400
ZOTAC GT 710 1GB DDR3 Zone-2,700

CORSAIR RM650X-8,300
FRACTAL DESIGN MESHIFY C BLACK CASE FD-CA-MESH-C-BKO-TGL-7,300(Best cooling computer case)
LG 24MP88HV-14,600

Minion: Thank you for your suggestion.

Top Bottom