Parliamentary Committee to government: Ban VPN services in India

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
Terming Virtual Private Network (VPN) services as a threat to counter cyber threats and other nefarious activities, the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Home Affairs reportedly wants the Indian government to ban VPN services in the country.

*m.timesofindia.com/gadgets-news/pa...-in-india-report/amp_articleshow/85807939.cms

Share your opinion about this...

TheSloth

The Slowest One
They can just asks corporate to register their VPN after which it will be allowed to transfer data.
I don't know why can't they can think of solutions which European countries or Japan like country has. This is just a lazy attempt from them to curb cyber threats if it really is an attempt at that and nothing else. Not talking about their agenda of mass surveillance.

OP
RumbaMon19

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
All these decision in past 2-3 years seems to be made by boomers. And instead of solving the problem, they try to eradicate.

The ban placed on p**n is also a similar example. There are many countries where it is allowed but still very low rape cases. Instead of adding proper s*x education in curriculum of children to teach them about right and wrong, which would have been done if the decision makers were not a bunch of baby boomers. This is the reason why there is requirement of some younger people In decision making bodies. By young I don't mean some 49 year old MP or some 51 year old "youth" leader.

Maybe because they are not sound with technology so they make such decisions?

OP
RumbaMon19

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
Banning VPN cz of criminals? Well, if someone is a criminal, they are gonna continue using a VPN, won't they? This would just give the government a way to term innocent use of VPNs as "criminal behaviour" the way I see it. You should term murdering as criminal behaviour, not using knives

Doesn't that sound similar to what happens in China?? Vpn is banned but people still use it.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
I dont think they understand the implications of what exactly is a VPN. Are they going to ban consumer VPN providers ?
Would it be illegal to rent an EC2 instance and then set up openvpn there ? If not, would it be illegal to advertise and monetize it ? Would they ban companies from using VPNs for work purposes (enterprise?)
If not, do enterprise only have the right to use VPNs, because for some reason "enterprises" cannot use it for nefarious purposes.
Typical boomer politicians, having zero subject knowledge, passing judgements arbitrarily.

Last edited:

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I dont think they understand the implications of what exactly is a VPN. Are they going to ban consumer VPN providers ?
Would it be illegal to rent an EC2 instance and then set up openvpn there ? If not, would it be illegal to advertise and monetize it ? Would they ban companies from using VPNs for work purposes (enterprise?)
If not, do enterprise only have the right to use VPNs, because for some reason "enterprises" cannot use it for nefarious purposes.
Typical boomer politicians, having zero subject knowledge, passing judgements arbitrarily.
Very likely. I mean nothing is stopping me from getting a VPS outside India and hosting openvpn on it. Only outcome of such a ban is that users will get a bit more creative. Though it's likely to dissuade non-technical people from using VPNs.
May be 100 more years to replace the politicians with good knowledgeable ones who can Shape our country better
Unlikely since it requires competent people to enter politics but well educated people tend to not join politics.

D

Deleted member 345628

Very likely. I mean nothing is stopping me from getting a VPS outside India and hosting openvpn on it. Only outcome of such a ban is that users will get a bit more creative. Though it's likely to dissuade non-technical people from using VPNs.
Doesn't it make complex for regular non tech people to use VPN for privacy purposes ? And if such thing happens wouldn't they stop accepting Indian Currency and wouldnt apps disappear from appstores like apple's

Top Bottom