Over-heating issues with HP Pavilion DV6885SE

UrbanSage

Right off the assembly line
Hi guys,
This is my first post here. I own a HP DV6885SE for the past 4 years. Since some time the laptop has been overheating a lot. And often shuts down due to it.
Now since the past month the laptop overheats, everything freezes and upon restart there is nothing on the screen but white and purple lines.

It is booting properly because I could hear the startup sounds a few times. Attaching an external monitor to the Laptop did not work either.

There was a temporary solution posted on the internet about blocking all the air vents and letting the laptop heat to an extent that the soldering that is broken between the Graphics card and the motherboard melts and reattaches itself.

After that the laptop did start showing display but it was a recurring issue. HP guys are saying just to check the laptop will cost around Rs. 9500 so that option is shut. The configuration is:
Intel C2D T8100, Quanta 30D2, nVidia GeForce 8400M GS 256MB, 3GB RAM

Took a screenshot after just opening a few tabs on chrome on the machine. The max value was at which the laptop was operating at that time. Attachment included.

Attachments

• CPUID HM.jpg
    CPUID HM.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 136

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Time to open the laptop up, clean dusts, reapply TIM.
4 years without reapplying TIM or cleaning up is too much for a laptop.

OP
U

UrbanSage

Time to open the laptop up, clean dusts, reapply TIM.
4 years without reapplying TIM or cleaning up is too much for a laptop.

Thanks!
Any particular type of TIM should I be looking for? Could you suggest a decent company, not too costly...I got confused while looking it up like deepcool z3, z5, z9 etc..

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Any descent TIM would do. Don't buy any costly TIM.
IMO, avoid deepcool. They don't make any quality TIM. Coolermaster thermal fusion or some other cheap ones from coolermaster will do the job pretty easily
If you want 'good ones', then look for Artic Silver MX-2, Noctua NT-H1. I should say that these would be overkill.

OP
U

UrbanSage

Any descent TIM would do. Don't buy any costly TIM.
IMO, avoid deepcool. They don't make any quality TIM. Coolermaster thermal fusion or some other cheap ones from coolermaster will do the job pretty easily
If you want 'good ones', then look for Artic Silver MX-2, Noctua NT-H1. I should say that these would be overkill.

Thanks a lot! Tried to open up the laptop yesterday. Was a nightmare :s
Will buy the TIM today and open it again. Keyboard is screwed though, lost 2 keys while cleaning.. :(

Top Bottom