OS Migration help

Status
Not open for further replies.

lionheart133

Broken In
Guyz,
i am shifting from Vista business with office 2007 to XP with office 2003.
i have not partitioned my drive.

would i lose any of the data i stored(docs,mp3 and movies)????
or shuld i bak dem up

would docs saved in 2007 open in 2003???

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
No, you won't if you make sure you don't.

Just make sure you copy them all properly. Why should any complications arise in such a simple thing?

BTW, I am very curious to know why you want to tread the road few people do and actually want to go back to poorer technology?

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
take a backup .... ur not upgrading but downgrading so take a backup if u were upgrading then there was no need but downgrading dont know

OP
lionheart133

lionheart133

Broken In
aryayush said:
No, you won't if you make sure you don't.

Just make sure you copy them all properly. Why should any complications arise in such a simple thing?

BTW, I am very curious to know why you want to tread the road few people do and actually want to go back to poorer technology?

come on dawg, i have a 512 MB ram with vista biz and office 07,my biz depends on speed and with vista takin abt 5 mins to load up and office takin another 2 mins, i aint eaxtly fast now,am i????:D

hmmm wat do u mean by copy dem properly???

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Burn everything to a DVD or two, a pen drive or an external hard disk drive. Make sure you haven't left out anything. Then install XP and copy all the data back to it. I don't think there should be any problem. :)

OP
lionheart133

lionheart133

Broken In
aryayush said:
Burn everything to a DVD or two, a pen drive or an external hard disk drive. Make sure you haven't left out anything. Then install XP and copy all the data back to it. I don't think there should be any problem. :)

hmmm.damn.was hoping of leaving it in the comp,now gotta plod all da way to a comp shop :mad:

anyhoo thanks for da info:smile:

shindesushilkumar

Right off the assembly line
During the installation of Win XP, select the option "Do not format the Drive"
so that it installs files in Windows folder without formatting your partitions.

sakumar79

Technomancer
Whether you are upgrading or downgrading or even if you are just using the same OS, it is always advisable to take a backup regularly of the important data files... Your OS could crash irrecoverably or worse your HDD could suddenly die... It happens rarely, but it is always better to be prepared...

For Office 2007 to 2003, I am not sure, but I think it is better if you convert them to older version...

Arun

navjotjsingh

Wise Old Owl
Just make sure before you switch to office 2003, convert any files created in native 2007 format to be resaved as in 2003 format. For example, convert all .docx files to .doc

Also backup complete my documents folder, desktop and any files which you need to preserve. After backing the current files, you can safely reformat. Don't install winxp on existing folder of windows, it will add more to the junk as suggested by shindesushilkumar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom