Opera Mobile 10 beta for S60 available for download now

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Joker

Opera portfolio is definitely a one-stop-shop for finding a proper mobile web browser whether you're on a smartphone or a feature phone. The Opera Mobile browser has reached the beta stage of version 10 and is now available to Symbian S60 devices - both 3rd and 5th edition, so if you have a Symbian device, be it with a touchscreen or not, you'd want to try out this new version.

It brings the revamped interface, which we saw in the latest Opera Mini 5, complete with tabbed browsing and the speed dial interface. Tabs use a thumbnail of the page and seem very snappy. Check out the official demo video bellow to see them in action, along with the adaptive zoom feature.

*pic.gsmarena.com/vv/newsimg/09/11/opera-mobile-10-beta/gsmarena_006.jpg *pic.gsmarena.com/vv/newsimg/09/11/opera-mobile-10-beta/gsmarena_007.jpg *pic.gsmarena.com/vv/newsimg/09/11/opera-mobile-10-beta/gsmarena_001.jpg *pic.gsmarena.com/vv/newsimg/09/11/opera-mobile-10-beta/gsmarena_005.jpg
Opera Mobile 10 touts Speed dial, tabbed browsing and intuitive interface

Under the hood there are quite a few changes as well - Opera Mobile 10 uses the latest Presto engine, the same as in the desktop Opera 10 browser, and Opera advertize it as faster than the previous version in panning and zooming, and it should even opens pages 50% faster.

For an even bigger boost the new Opera Turbo feature is included, which reroutes traffic through Opera's servers where content is crunched and compressed up to 70%. This brings down image quality but also data charges and can speed up browsing on a slow connection.

Opera Mobile 10 supports the latest web tech as well, including CSS 3 support (though not yet enabled in the beta version). The improved web standards support is touted to deliver a browsing experience that matches desktop browsing.

*pic.gsmarena.com/vv/newsimg/09/11/opera-mobile-10-beta/gsmarena_008.jpg *pic.gsmarena.com/vv/newsimg/09/11/opera-mobile-10-beta/gsmarena_009.jpg *pic.gsmarena.com/vv/newsimg/09/11/opera-mobile-10-beta/gsmarena_004.jpg *pic.gsmarena.com/vv/newsimg/09/11/opera-mobile-10-beta/gsmarena_003.jpg
A closer look on tabs • address auto-completion • saving entire webpages • password manager

Helpful features like the password manager an address auto-completion plus image and webpage saving on the device are things we're used to in desktop browsers and go a long way to provide the promised desktop-like experience.

So here's the official demo video to check out:
[youtube]YBUmiDLRcNs[/youtube]

Owners of Nokia and select Samsung and Sony Ericsson S60 smartphones are the first that can try it out. There's no mention of a Windows Mobile version yet but don't despare, Opera Mobile has been running on WinMo devices for quite a while, so one should come up soon.

Head to the Opera web site for more info and screenshots of Opera Mobile 10 beta. You can download your free copy there or you can visit *m.opera.com/mobile/ on your mobile device.

In case you don't have a smartphone, we suggest you take a look at the free Opera Mini 5 that delivers equally impressive browsing on a wide array of supported feature phones.

Source: *www.gsmarena.com/opera_mobile_10_beta_for_s60_available_for_download_now-news-1228.php

lololol it passes the acid3 test and internet explorer 8 doesnt.....:lol: :lol: :lol:

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've tried it on my Nokia 5800. It's basically a very fast version of the Opera mini 5 beta. I'm liking it.

DigitalDude

PhotonAttack
very fast indeed. also the transmission torrent client's web ui is working fine :) I was very sad that it was not working properly in the nokia's stock browser.

_

Indyan

Here Since 2003
I've tried it on my Nokia 5800. It's basically a very fast version of the Opera mini 5 beta. I'm liking it.

That is slightly incorrect. The rendering engine is different. While Opera Mini lets Opera's servers do most of the hard work, here it is done by your mobile phone. Opera Mobile includes the presto engine 2.4 (opera desktop uses presto 2.3). So, ajax and js heavy sites that trouble Opera MIni should work in Opera Mobile.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ agreed. Gmail worked flawlessly over Wifi. Actually, I was talking about the interface.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom