openSUSE 10.3 Beta 2 Released

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
*www.imgx.org/files/3411_rezia/800px-SuSE-logo.svg.pngThe openSUSE team is working hard on the new version of their free Linux operating system, scheduled for release somewhere in October, very close to the Ubuntu 7.10 release. They are proud to announce today the second beta version of openSUSE 10.3. This beta comes with the latest and greatest Linux kernel 2.6.22.3, GLibc 2.6.1 and an improved YaST infrastructure. Let's have a quick look at the changes compared to the first beta:

• Linux kernel 2.6.22.3
  • glibc 2.6.1
  • libzypp 3.18.2
  • Amarok 1.4.7
  • Banshee 0.13.1
  • Compiz 0.5.4
  • Qt 4.3.1
  • Thunderbird 2.0.0.5
  • Wine 0.9.43
  • more documentation and applications on the one CD installation media
  • YaST infrastructure was improved to allow writing complete YaST modules
  • Bootloader-related improvements: openSUSE 10.3 will use "chainloader" if it detects additional installations' bootloader code in other partitions, otherwise "configfile" sections will be used (see Call for Testing below!)
  • improved package lists of 1-CD GNOME and KDE
  • countless bug fixes in every component

As usual, the openSUSE team urges users to test this beta release and report back through the openSUSE's bugzilla. The areas that require attention are:

• HAL
  • compare lshal output with lshal output from <= Beta1
  • check if you get an info on the desktop when you insert a USB-disk/stick, DVD/CDs etc. and if the volumes get mounted correctly
  • test if you are able to umount/eject the media from the desktop
  • try to mount LUKS (encrypted filesystem) media
  • check if suspend is working correctly (via KPowersave or g-p-m)
  • test if you can change the brightness of your laptop panel on <= Beta1, are you able to do the same with the new HAL version?
  • libzypp / Package Management / Update
  • before you report a bug, make sure to check for duplicates
  • perl-Bootloader/Yast-Bootloader
  • As we switched to using chainloader or configfile sections for other installations, instead of just using the default entry as image section, please check if all other installed operating systems are still bootable.
openSUSE 10.3 release schedule:
  • Thu, Sep 6: openSUSE 10.3 Beta 3
  • Thu, Sep 20: openSUSE 10.3 Release Candidate 1
  • Thu, Sep 27: openSUSE 10.3 Goldmaster release (internal)
  • Thu, Oct 4: openSUSE 10.3 public release

Download : Mirror 1 DVD i386 ISO [Torrents] | Mirror 1 DVD x64 ISO [Torrents]

praka123

left this forum longback
I shud hv shifted to suse if -they change package management to apt+dpkg and make distro lean with only needed software by default.i have heard they got some build service which means .deb packages too.no time to research :?

vish786

"The Gentleman"
praka123 said:
I shud hv shifted to suse if -they change package management to apt+dpkg and make distro lean with only needed software by default.i have heard they got some build service which means .deb packages too.no time to research :?

no deb packages cannot be installed on suse. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom