OnePlus 9 blues, and is Samsung S20FE a better (low-cost) alternative?

OP
vishnov

vishnov

Journeyman
In terms of SoC, it would be 2-3 generations behind (888, 870, 865+, 865) and 6 months late. I won't run behind 5G until 2023 to say the least.
I am not crazy about 5G (yet) but the S865 chipset. Either way 5G a good addition considering the price tag.

Another thing I noticed, OP9 supports only 2 bands of 5G in India. Such a shame.

OP
vishnov

vishnov

Journeyman
It is just one gen behind. SD 888 and 870 are same gen, out of which sd 888 is flagship chip.

865 is not that old, He is not even going to game on that phone, so I don't think 865 is a bad choice. It can easily drive next 4-5 years on 865.

As far as 5G is concerned, it is not coming any soon so buying a smartphone specifically for 5G is not at all a good choice.

Even if it rolls out by the end of year, it will take minimum 1.5yr to rollout to each and every tier-1 and tier-2 city.

But still, he should consider S20 Fe 5G as it is still better than 4G variant.
I'm going for the 5G variant mostly because of the chipset. Exynos variant ends up being a hot potato.

OP
vishnov

vishnov

Journeyman
Damn, that's nice. My usual recommendation was to go for 8T for performance & gaming vs S20FE for a good exp in general with top class cameras (same as primary & ultrawide S21/S21+).

IF S20 FE 5G is under 50k, I'll recommend it over even S21+ because of Exynos. Also, it will be enough to kill OP9 for most people. OP9 lacks OIS in the main sensor, so won't match S20 FE for cameras.
OP9 even lacks IP68 rating, supports only 2 bands of 5G in India (which is pathetic), and gimmicky camera. Moreover, Samsung has promised 3 years of android upgrade. So it'll certainly receive Android 13. Good move imo.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
considering the price, it is insanely overpriced and offers only 2 bands. looks like op people feel us Indian customers are super idiots.

That brand is soon going to be doomed. Its no longer what it used to be. It has now joined the trail of oppo vivo. In future, op devices might ship with color OS as it is already doing in china. its no longer stock, Has got a lot of display, software issues. Even the founder has left the country. He has left china and gone to sweden, also got a citiznship there. Maybe because of the fear of CCP. (You know what I mean...)

OP9 even lacks IP68 rating, supports only 2 bands of 5G in India (which is pathetic), and gimmicky camera. Moreover, Samsung has promised 3 years of android upgrade. So it'll certainly receive Android 13. Good move imo.
OP was doing 3 years of updates before Samsung. Considering 8T & 9 series launched with 11, they will go till 14, most likely.

OP
vishnov

vishnov

Journeyman
That brand is soon going to be doomed. Its no longer what it used to be. It has now joined the trail of oppo vivo. In future, op devices might ship with color OS as it is already doing in china. its no longer stock, Has got a lot of display, software issues. Even the founder has left the country. He has left china and gone to sweden, also got a citiznship there. Maybe because of the fear of CCP. (You know what I mean...)
Started off as a flagship killer, ended up becoming one. That too overpriced one. OP is not going to be the same again.

OP
vishnov

vishnov

Journeyman
OP was doing 3 years of updates before Samsung. Considering 8T & 9 series launched with 11, they will go till 14, most likely.
Another reason to go with Samsung. OnePlus had its own fan base, now they have killed it. And Samsung is stepping up. In the end, an average consumer is getting everything he's looking for in a mid-range flagship.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
In which city?

No, not in that way. It does have a service centre within 20KM. To me. But this happened with my friend.

He gave his phone for screen replacement, as there was a crack on screen. The mobo and battery were all ok. OnePlus took his device for 1 week, didn't do anything. Later when he contacted them, they said the device will be repaired in another week's time.

After 5 days he receives a call from OnePlus that his phone also needs a change in motherboard, he asked what was the problem with mobo,. To which the guy knew nothing. He told him that he will contact later regarding mobo.

They forced him to get its mobo also changed. He after trying several times, decided to cancel repair. Instead got the screen repaired by third party, for cheaper. And like before there was no issue in mobo.

It happened with op 6

If you see r/OnePlus and r/android, you will find many such cases, India and abroad, where people are forced in this trap.

Samsung has rather a much faster and better service. They have higher number of service centres.

Top Bottom