OnePlus 9 blues, and is Samsung S20FE a better (low-cost) alternative?

vishnov

Journeyman
With the OnePlus 9, I was finally hoping to upgrade my 4 years old Samsung C7 Pro. But apparently, don't see it happening. Honestly, I don't see it worth almost 50k of my money. Pro is good, but again way out of my budget.

So friends, if I want to buy a mobile today, should I go with S20FE? The processor is an issue but I love the overall package. Good camera, IP68 rating, latest hardware etc. Or is there an alternative that I should consider?

Also, are there going to be any good mobile launches in the next one or two months worth waiting for? Please advice.

My preferences:
Budget - 35-45k
Display type and size - Super AMOLED or OLED. Size no bar.
Dual sim - Yes
Preferred connectivity options - Should have support for more 5G bands. Will be using the phone for 3 years at least.
The primary use of handset - Camera, multimedia, casual browsing. No gaming.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
With the OnePlus 9, I was finally hoping to upgrade my 4 years old Samsung C7 Pro. But apparently, don't see it happening. Honestly, I don't see it worth almost 50k of my money. Pro is good, but again way out of my budget.

So friends, if I want to buy a mobile today, should I go with S20FE? The processor is an issue but I love the overall package. Good camera, IP68 rating, latest hardware etc. Or is there an alternative that I should consider?

Also, are there going to be any good mobile launches in the next one or two months worth waiting for? Please advice.

My preferences:
Budget - 35-45k
Dual sim - Yes
Preferred connectivity options - Should have support for more 5G bands. Will be using the phone for 3 years at least.

You can go with S20FE. As you are not going to game, the processor is not an issue for you, as it will last long enough. If you can wait more than 6 months, galaxy S21FE is also coming soon.

Edit:- Just remember that while setting up the phone for first time, follow guide to remove adware etc. and it will be all good.

OP
vishnov

vishnov

Journeyman
You can go with S20FE. As you are not going to game, the processor is not an issue for you, as it will last long enough. If you can wait more than 6 months, galaxy S21FE is also coming soon.

Edit:- Just remember that while setting up the phone for first time, follow guide to remove adware etc. and it will be all good.
I've heard that the heating issue is notorious on this device thanks to the Exynos processor. I mean, how bad is it? Does it really affect day to day tasks and battery life?

Also, where can I find the guide to remove adware? As a Samsung user, it's pretty intrusive and irritating.

Thanks for the reply :)

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
I've heard that the heating issue is notorious on this device thanks to the Exynos processor. I mean, how bad is it? Does it really affect day to day tasks and battery life?

Also, where can I find the guide to remove adware? As a Samsung user, it's pretty intrusive and irritating.

Thanks for the reply :)

As for the heating issue, it should not be there when using for day to day task. It is only while gaming or other cpu extensive task when it heats.

For removing ads, I prefer this tutorial

Although the net is full of them...

Also you may consider OnePlus 8T @42k if that suits your needs.

Samsung has better after sales as compared to OnePlus. Also Samsung's ui is great.

vidhubhushan

Alakh Niranjan

My preferences:
Budget - 35-45k
Dual sim - Yes

S20FE Indian variant is only 4G.

OP
vishnov

vishnov

Journeyman
As for the heating issue, it should not be there when using for day to day task. It is only while gaming or other cpu extensive task when it heats.

For removing ads, I prefer this tutorial

Although the net is full of them...

Also you may consider OnePlus 8T @42k if that suits your needs.

Samsung has better after sales as compared to OnePlus. Also Samsung's ui is great.
I'm assuming OP8T is a better overall phone compared to OP9. Hardware and support might be limited since its officially an old generation phone. I'll think about it.

And thanks for the video. Much help.

OP
vishnov

vishnov

Journeyman
Samsung is launching S20 FE 5G Snapdragon Version next week in India. Guess I got lucky.

*telecom.economictimes.indiatimes.c...-of-galaxy-s20-fe-in-india-next-week/81685350

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Samsung is launching S20 FE 5G Snapdragon Version next week in India. Guess I got lucky.

*telecom.economictimes.indiatimes.c...-of-galaxy-s20-fe-in-india-next-week/81685350
In terms of SoC, it would be 2-3 generations behind (888, 870, 865+, 865) and 6 months late. I won't run behind 5G until 2023 to say the least.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
In terms of SoC, it would be 2-3 generations behind (888, 870, 865+, 865) and 6 months late. I won't run behind 5G until 2023 to say the least.
It is just one gen behind. SD 888 and 870 are same gen, out of which sd 888 is flagship chip.

865 is not that old, He is not even going to game on that phone, so I don't think 865 is a bad choice. It can easily drive next 4-5 years on 865.

As far as 5G is concerned, it is not coming any soon so buying a smartphone specifically for 5G is not at all a good choice.

Even if it rolls out by the end of year, it will take minimum 1.5yr to rollout to each and every tier-1 and tier-2 city.

But still, he should consider S20 Fe 5G as it is still better than 4G variant.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
SD 888 and 870 are same gen, out of which sd 888 is flagship chip.
My bad, got confused. Didn't think Qualcomm would pull a Oneplus and launch two "flagships" simultaneously.
865 is not that old, He is not even going to game on that phone, so I don't think 865 is a bad choice. It can easily drive next 4-5 years on 865.
That he can surely do. My SD820 OP3 is still working okay and I don't plan to change it unless I can find a phone with custom rom support, 3.5mm jack, 1080p OLED screen and main camera with OIS.

Damn, that's nice. My usual recommendation was to go for 8T for performance & gaming vs S20FE for a good exp in general with top class cameras (same as primary & ultrawide S21/S21+).

IF S20 FE 5G is under 50k, I'll recommend it over even S21+ because of Exynos. Also, it will be enough to kill OP9 for most people. OP9 lacks OIS in the main sensor, so won't match S20 FE for cameras.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
Damn, that's nice. My usual recommendation was to go for 8T for performance & gaming vs S20FE for a good exp in general with top class cameras (same as primary & ultrawide S21/S21+).

IF S20 FE 5G is under 50k, I'll recommend it over even S21+ because of Exynos. Also, it will be enough to kill OP9 for most people. OP9 lacks OIS in the main sensor, so won't match S20 FE for cameras.

Yupp. Samsung should have done this before, 5G variant was already a hit in that category.

vidhubhushan

Alakh Niranjan
it appears S20 FE 5G India launch is the reason samsung didn't launch A525G in India and don't have any 5G model of A72.

chetansha

In the zone
S20 fe 23500 on croma
This ia 8/256 variant
Screenshot_20210326-104107_Chrome.jpg

Sent from my SM-M315F using Tapatalk

Top Bottom