Nvidia's GTX 980M and 970M May Finally Give Us Desktop Performance On a Laptop

udaylunawat

In the zone
Nvidia claims the GTX 980M and GTX 970M offer around 75 percent of the performance of its desktop chips while also significantly boosting battery life.

Now would it be a bad time to buy a gaming laptop under 60k in India ??
My main question is would Nvidia GTX 970M and 980M arrive in 60k laptops soon enough in India ??

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Nvidia claims the GTX 980M and GTX 970M offer around 75 percent of the performance of its desktop chips while also significantly boosting battery life.

My main question is would Nvidia GTX 970M and 980M arrive in 60k laptops soon enough in India ??

:lol: lowest price of a laptop with 860M is 75-80k (lenovo y50).

OEM's in India launch high end laptops at 5-10k rs higher than what previous gen was priced at, even though the international/USA launch is cheaper or similarly priced than previous one. :mad: :banghead:

OP
U

udaylunawat

In the zone
Getting the z50 FHD i7 @ 45k seriously got an unbelievable deal through a friend. Seriously do these retailers and toll taxers earn 15-20k on a laptop ??

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Getting the z50 FHD i7 @ 45k seriously got an unbelievable deal through a friend. Seriously do these retailers and toll taxers earn 15-20k on a laptop ??

They aren't earning much, the Govt. is charging a buttload of customs and other taxes. but OEMs earn by overpricing it here.

OP
U

udaylunawat

In the zone
I am gonna check it out. Any tips to check whether the deal is valid ?? Or any way to find out whether the laptop's new or not ?

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
So then how am I getting a 60k laptop @45k ??

*www.zauba.com/import-59427812-hs-code.html

total price 35,507 per piece.

also take an example of Alienware,

Alienware 14 Gaming Laptop with 4th Gen Core i7,8GB RAM, 1TB HDD
Rs. 111,990

Importing price of same model, *www.zauba.com/import-alienware-14-hs-code.html
Rs. 66,689

see the amount of $$$ dell india is making by blatantly overpricing it.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe second hand. Resealed using cello tape. :lol:

:rofl:

Last edited:
OP
U

udaylunawat

In the zone
Thanks guys....... Buying the z50. BTW which laptops do you guys have and what kind of accessories or add ons have you added ?? Any recommendations for me ?

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Thanks guys....... Buying the z50. BTW which laptops do you guys have and what kind of accessories or add ons have you added ?? Any recommendations for me ?
Lenovo R61 (7 year and still running) with 1 GB ddr2 ram :lol: . tried adding another 1 GB ddr2 ram stick, caused multiple BSODs :rofl:. opened it up to clean the fan assembly and replaced the thermal paste. have some external HDD's too. also bought Soundmagic ES18 and using it for anime, songs and movies. :)

Last edited:

$hadow

Geek in making
Laptop gaming is always costly and desktop is always advised to anyone who is going to stick to one place for a long time.

thegr8anand

Broken In
970m is pretty good for 1080p and there are some sexy lightweight notebooks coming up. Still would have preferred to get a gaming laptop if this had launched a month before because of the mobility.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
970m is pretty good for 1080p and there are some sexy lightweight notebooks coming up. Still would have preferred to get a gaming laptop if this had launched a month before because of the mobility.

I bet GTX 980m will beat your GTX 970.
I so wanna get one(which I'll probably next year).

- - - Updated - - -

Laptop gaming is always costly and desktop is always advised to anyone who is going to stick to one place for a long time.

With the new Nvidia GTX 970m and GTX 980m, this is gonna change. Both cards are expected to give 75% of their desktop counterparts' performance.
I guess by the time Pascal comes, both laptop and desktop cards will give equal performance.

thegr8anand

Broken In

It most def will not. The 970 has 1664 cores compared to 1536 on 980m. Also memory clock is 1750mhz compared to 1250 on 980m, rest specs are the same. Still will be close and for a mobile card its performance will be overkill.

Nvidia launches the GeForce GTX 980M and GTX 970M - NotebookCheck.net News

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
It most def will not. The 970 has 1664 cores compared to 1536 on 980m. Also memory clock is 1750mhz compared to 1250 on 980m, rest specs are the same. Still will be close and for a mobile card its performance will be overkill.

Nvidia launches the GeForce GTX 980M and GTX 970M - NotebookCheck.net News

close enough. :p

$hadow

Geek in making
I so wanna get one(which I'll probably next year).

- - - Updated - - -

With the new Nvidia GTX 970m and GTX 980m, this is gonna change. Both cards are expected to give 75% of their desktop counterparts' performance.
I guess by the time Pascal comes, both laptop and desktop cards will give equal performance.

Performance difference is ok I got that but what about pricing that is also another issue from my point of view.

akshay.lahori

Right off the assembly line

Laptop with 980M in 60k laptop :shock: ... that graphic card alone will cost around $900 - $US1000 (Rs 60,000)

akshay.lahori

Right off the assembly line

I would suggest you to be careful before buying that.My friend got something similar a year ago.After a year the laptop CPU temp were reaching as high as 95C.When he took that machine at service station he realised that it was refubished and not new.

Top Bottom