Non-Gaming 50k PC build

srinidhi_k_bhat

Broken In
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.' Vague answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work.)
Ans:
Purpose: Upgrading my existing 8yo PC with a new one. Gaming is not a priority (but maybe in the future). The build should be capable enough for dual-boot, fast and lag-free browsing.
Applications: MSOffice, Programming, Heavy Browsing
Games: CSGO

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then please mention.
Ans: 50k (can be extended till 55k)

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Dual boot Windows 10/Ubuntu 20

5. How much hard drive / solid-state drive space is needed?
Ans: SSD - 240/500GB (not clear yet). HDD - Not needed (Already have a 500GB HDD)

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention the screen size and resolution you prefer. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, then do mention the screen size and resolution of the monitor you have.
Ans: No. (Already have a Dell(TM) IN1930 18.5" Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor)

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy? i.e. which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Already have Monitor, HDD, Mouse, Keyboard, Speakers

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Within 1-2 months

9. Have you ever built a desktop before? Or, will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: No. Will be done by assembler

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Bengaluru. Planning to buy locally. Willing to buy online.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: My preferences:
- For some reason, I'm obsessed with Ryzen 5 3600 (even though it might be an overkill for my current usage, I feel it would be worthy in the long run). But currently the price of 3600 is a bit high so please suggest me if there's a better deal (or wait for the price to go down).
- I'm planning to go with Gigabyte B450M DS3H WiFi Motherboard and DDR4 3000MHz 8GBx2 RAM
- I'm confused with Graphics card. I don't want to go with Integrated graphics, so please suggest me a cheap graphics card for my requirements.
- Regarding PSU, I'm thinking to go with Corsair CX450. Please let me know if 450W is enough or should I go for CX550

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
For some reason, I'm obsessed with Ryzen 5 3600 (even though it might be an overkill for my current usage, I feel it would be worthy in the long run). But currently the price of 3600 is a bit high so please suggest me if there's a better deal (or wait for the price to go down).
Perhaps you should try to get the new 5600 processor for future proofing purposes. After the launch of the 5000 series it makes little sense to buy the 3600, especially at the current prices.

Tumbledoor

Broken In
Here's my research on Ryzen CPUs, hope it helps
  • 5600x costs 27-28k, checked with some offline stores in Bangalore (checked on 9th Nov).
  • 3600 costs around 22k in the offline stores (checked in early October).
If you're looking to future proof, then it makes sense to increase your budget and go for 5600x. While the 3600 used to have amazing price/performance, the recent price hikes makes it difficult to recommend over the 5600x.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
i3 10100F / i5 10400F or
Ryzen 3100 / Ryzen 3500X

With B series board, 1650S, 16GB memory, 250GB SSD, 450w PSU and cabinet will fit your budget.

OP
srinidhi_k_bhat

srinidhi_k_bhat

Broken In
@Tumbledoor Thanks for price comparison. Makes sense. But if I go for 5600x I may have to go with a dirt cheap Graphics card (or just a video card) and wait for sometime to upgrade the graphics.

@nac Thanks for processor recommendations. However, given my gaming and not so graphic intensive software requirements, I think I'll go with something lower than 1650S.

I'm trying to think of a good trade-off between Processor-Graphics. Ryzen 5 3600 around 16k would have been perfect I guess.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
IMO, 10400F is a decent one in your budget.
If you wanna accommodate 3600 in your budget, it's little tough. I don't see a point of going anything less than 1650 when you wanna get dGPU.
With 3600+1650, you will have to shell out couple of thousands more than your extended budget.

Tumbledoor

Broken In
Found this on reddit. 3600 available for 18k, the lowest i've seen it this year.

Link: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Desktop Processor 6 Cores up to 4.2 GHz 35MB Cache AM4 Socket

Never heard about this seller though, so buy at your own risk

OP
srinidhi_k_bhat

srinidhi_k_bhat

Broken In
@nac I'm a noob when it comes to Graphics cards, so please help me out here. You suggest anything less than 1650 is just equivalent to integrated graphics (say 3400G)?
3600 + 1650 was my initial plan, but I assumed1650 was too much for my requirements.

@Tumbledoor Thanks for the link. I checked with a local buyer and he quoted Rs.20500 for the same. Lets see..

nac

Aspiring Novelist
1030 is not for gaming, the next stop is 1050Ti and price difference between 1650 is not much.

For your use case, you wouldn't notice much difference (probably no difference at all) between 10400f and 3600. And the price premium is not worth it.

For this use case, I would even settle for i3.

CPU - Intel i5 10400 - 15.5k

Mobo - MSI B460M Pro VDH WiFi - 10k

RAM - 2x8GB DDR4 2666+MHz - 5.5k

GPU - Used GTX 1060 - 6-7k

M.2 SSD - Kingston A400 240GB - 3k

HDD - Old one

PSU - Corsair CX550 - 4.5k

Cabinet - MSI MAG Forge 100M or other mid tower ATX - 4.7k **

Monitor - Old

Total - 50.2k

That i5 is a bit inferior to R5 3600, so 3600 isn't worth it for its 20k price it is going for these days. New GT1030/RX550 costs 6k or so but is much weaker than 1060/RX480.

OP
srinidhi_k_bhat

srinidhi_k_bhat

Broken In
One query though: What are the differences between 10400F and 10400? I see that 10400 has Integrated graphics but apart from that I couldn't find much.

One query though: What are the differences between 10400F and 10400? I see that 10400 has Integrated graphics but apart from that I couldn't find much.
The iGPU is the only difference. If the price difference is under 1k, get 10400. You can take time looking for a used GPU that way as with 10400F you would need a GPU to boot the system.

OP
srinidhi_k_bhat

srinidhi_k_bhat

Broken In
I checked with a local shop for the components. He says the B460M Pro VDH WiFi Mobo doesn't work with iGPU (i.e. display doesn't work). Is that true?
In that case I have to buy the graphics card now itself..

nac

Aspiring Novelist
GPU is integrated with CPU, not motherboard. All B460 boards have one or more display out port (vga, hdmi, dp, dvi).
If you're buying Intel F cpu, you have to buy dGPU. If you're buying non F Intel CPU, you can use one of the motherboard's display out.
Seller is confused and confusing you.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
I checked with a local shop for the components. He says the B460M Pro VDH WiFi Mobo doesn't work with iGPU (i.e. display doesn't work). Is that true?
In that case I have to buy the graphics card now itself..
*www.msi.com/Motherboard/B460M-PRO-VDH-WIFI

It has HDMI, DVI-D and VGA ports. Check the photographs and specifications.

If you put in an Intel processor that has integrated graphics, these ports will work.

OP
srinidhi_k_bhat

srinidhi_k_bhat

Broken In
Thanks everyone for helping me out..
This is my final build:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
CPU - Intel i5 10400 (15k)
Mobo - MSI B460M Pro VDH WiFi (10.5k)
RAM - HyperX Fury 8GBx2 2666MHz DDR4 CL16 DIMM (5.5k)
SSD: Kingston 500GB A2000 M.2 2280 Nvme (5k)
PSU - Corsair CX550 (4.5k)
Cabinet - Corsair 110R Mid-Tower ATX (3.5k)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total: 43.5k

GPU - GTX 1650 (Maybe after couple of months )

I stretched my budget a bit for larger SSD. Please let me know if there's any issues in this build (especially RAM and SSD choices).

Top Bottom