NOKIA 9500- review

Status
Not open for further replies.

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
On dec. 31, at our family get together, i had the opurtunity to see the NOKIA 9500 -communicator.
My cousin's 9500 is powered by HUTCH, costed a cool 40K.

* More about 9500

Nokia 9500 is a series 80 with symbian operating system 7. It was dubbed as "communicator" because of its office application and PDa functions.
The Nokia 9500 Communicator offers high-capacity built-in memory – 80 MB, plus a MultiMedia Card (MMC) slot for even more storage space.

*img83.exs.cx/img83/3331/nokia95000ec.jpg

* First impression

First after seeing 9500, i cant help thinking about my school pencilbox! It is a almost perfect bar shape (15cm/6cm/2.5cm), and i measured this using a ruler!
It has 2 LCD displays, a bigger one inside its flap side and an usual one outside. The display is very good,i can tell it is better than SE K700i.
And now, the sound is a stereo quality and not like 6600, where it is diifficult to hear when we keep the phone in pockets...Voice Recorder as well.
It weighs a quite heavy compared our usual phones.
In my opinion, looks wise and feature wise, the communicator impressed me.

* main features

The key features of 9500:

# User Interface: Symbian operating system version 7.0S, Series 80 platform.
# Weight : 225 grams
# Dimensions : 15cm/6cm/2.5cm (my brother's ruler came handy here!)
# Battery / talktime : 1300 mAh / Up to 4-10 hours.
# Camera : video capture {RealVideo, MPEG4 formats supported},640 x 480 pixel resolution.
# Memory : 80mb(!) internal and in addition we can add MMC (available upto 1gb in chennai)
# Connectivity : IRDa, bluetooth, EDGe, USB 2.0 connectivity (Nokia Cable DKU-2),Wireless lan, Gprs ,HSCSD.
# Tri-band : EGSM 900, GSM 1800/1900.
# Display: 16 bit/65k TFT dispay, Full keyboard and two 65k-color displays in 128 x 128 pixels.
# Messaging: SMS {pix message as well}, MMS, EMAIL {supports SMTP, POP3}, and interesting FAX application as well.
# Ringtones: MIDI,WAV,MP3 formats.
# Business Applications: Document, Sheet , Presentation viewer and editor, Adobe Reader,MICROSOFT office compactible {the first phone where we can compose a powerpoint document}.
# Processor: ARM-9 based TI OMAP 1510 dual-core RISC processor

Now i shall tell abt abt it other things and my using experience...

* Keypads

The first thing i noticed is it is not like the SE phones, which is hard and stocky. The keypad is soft and a feather touch is enough to make it go. This is usefull especially when we are SMS junky or more in this case when we are use to send emails or use MS Word.
Arrow keys have been replaced with five-way rocker key.The 9500 is equipped with eight application keys: Desk, Telephone, Messaging, Web, Contacts, Documents, Calendar and My Own which provide quick access to the most important built-in applications. My Own key can be configured to launch any system or an application of your choice.
Keys now work much more reliable and with firm resistance.
the keyboard also offers traditional arrow keys and the Enter key.

* Connectivity

There is nothing that people can complain of..., has whatever that can be put into mobs!From irda to bluetooth to serial local lan!
# 9500 Communicator supports Bluetooth. Supported Bluetooth profiles include: Generic Access Profile (GAP), Service Discovery Profile (SDP), Fax Profile (GW), Dial-up Networking Profile (DUN), Handsfree Profile (HFP), Serial Port Profile (SPP), File Transfer Protocol (FTP).
# USB 2.0 cable connection (PopPort).
# supports Infrared connectivity
# EDGe, all the hutch TV, airtel live can be accesed.
# Usual GPRS,HSCSD.
# The best part is can be configured to serial LAN also.

* sounds

We all give importance to sound and speaker volume and this 9500 is better than the usually nokia phones.
It supports stereo sounds, MP3 ringtones. The speaker volume is really high, and unlike the 6600 where we almost cant hear the sound when kept in pockets and we will have to use the vibrator for call alerts.
We can buy seperated jack for FM radio.
WE can also record voice using the voice recorder.Overall in my opinion, the sounds and rigntones is good.

* Camera

The 9500 is also the first Communicator to have a built-in digital camera. The resolution is VGA (640x480 pixels) only.
There is zoom feature also but i did not check that out...the phone screen works as a viewfinder with pretty good refresh rate.
Both still pictures and video recording with audio are supported.

* Data transmission

The 9500 is the first Communicator to support GPRS (53,6 kbps). It supports EGPRS (EDGE), providing download speeds of up to 236.8 kbps. Of course, it still also supports CSD and HSCSD GSM data calls (up to 43,2 kbps).
We can also use the IP passthrough function which allows using desktop PC's broadband connection via USB cable.

* Dispays

9500 is equipped with two screens - large PDA screen inside and small phone screen outside.It is of high quality and its white background makes it very clear even without backlight!The screen is covered by an anti-reflective layer - one can hardly notice any difference in quality even in direct sunlight.
The PDA screen is of 640x200 resolution, but now it is 16-bit (65,536 colors).Colors are vivid and the contrast is very high. Both contrast and brightness can be adjusted in Control Panel.there is also a keyboard shortcut for quick brightness adjustment.
Overall, it has a very good dispay and while watching video files, it looks as though we are watching it in TV. it is so alive...

* Office applications

# Document, Sheet , Presentation viewer and editor, Adobe Reader (.pdf).
# Compatibility with MS Office programs (MS Office 97 onwards).The only phone as i had mentioned before, where we can compose MS powerpoint File.
# PDA features
# i also saw the usual converter, calculator, etc...

* Looks and built quality

This is another area where we all give a lot of importance to. I need not tell u TA members, it is the sexiest phone ever by nokia.It also comes with a stand. It looks like a pencilbox.
The best way to test any phone is by droping it down! But i dint want to talk risk, just in case if it is not that strong enought to absorb any such shock...
The keypads, as i have mentioned, is good and operates to a feather touch. It does not have a touch screen as many of the PDA phones.
The earpiece has been moved from the back of the device to its front, so we need not open up the keypad to talk.
9500 has two long rubber stripes at the back of the phone for grip purpose.

MY opinion:
So i think 9500 is a very good buy, if u dont mind it's hefty price tag.

The other thing is most of its features are network dependent, so if u use BSNL then i am afraid, we cant put it to use and play with this much
HUTCH provides the EDGE and other support features for rs.600 pm, so in addition to paying for the phone, we need to pay extra to use all the features. It's like airtel BLACKBERRY, where u will have to pay 1200 rs. and also u will get ur phone bill!

In spite of having 64mb RAM, it is slow, like what i noticed in 3660.I cant tell how much much it will drag if we install more softwares and programs.

All the Functions like 65K Colors;intergreated camera; PdA functions;Bluetooth & Edge Makes it the Worlds most advanced phone Till Date.The greatest and sexiest Phone I Had ever seen.In fact it will give o2 PDA phone a good run for its money!

-----

Doctor Grudge

theraven

Technomancer
FINALLY u posted it here :twisted:
lemme be the first to tell u "a very good review"
very professional like and divided into subparts :shock:
well done
but like in other forums ...
a few more pics ..a nd pics FROM the phone would be helpful
(i know u cant get ur hands on the pics from the phone but a few more pics of the phone .. maybe one with it open ... would help)

apart from this im not sure how much i can agree with ur last comment ..
i havent actually seen or worked on either of the phones .. so i cant really say
but the O2 is very sweet ...
will compare later ..

OP
drgrudge

drgrudge

drgrudge said:
NOKUA 9500- review
Hmm, i goofed up with NOKIA spelling. I typed in hurry.

Anyways it sounds nice --> "NOO-ku-oah" . This three syllable also sounds good. Ppl how do like nokua :?:

theraven said:
FINALLY u posted it here :twisted:
Tnx, raven dude. :p
Sorry i reviewed this a week ago and could not post her as Digit doesn't has a review section. Anyways i will review more phones (like moto E398, nokia 6260, etc..)

theraven said:
apart from this im not sure how much i can agree with ur last comment ..
i havent actually seen or worked on either of the phones .. so i cant really say
but the O2 is very sweet ...
will compare later ..
Ok, i have not used the o2 mini, but i have seen it at a shop and know Abt it.

Both o2 and 9500 almost same features and o2 does not have EDGe. Anyways it is not mature to compare without actually using or experiencing with o2.

Some more pixs of nokia 9500:

*www.nokia.com/press/photo/phones/jpeg/9500_open_lores.jpg

*mobile.softpedia.com/images/phones/244_6.jpg

p.s: Images are sourced.

G

gxsaurav

Nice review, a bit biased in my opinion

neyway, I have never used a communicator or O2, but i have used an Palm Tungston T5, & P9010i, they are also dam cool, productivity wise T5 beats P910i, while as a Phone P910i beats T5

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
he he We all know drgrudge to be a Nokia fan so its obviously be Biased.
And ofcourse gxgaurav like me is Sonysericsson fan ( Both having k500i )so understand both the aspects of the story.
But seriously this quote of mine doesn't take anything away from drgrudge's excellent review. Well done Mate .

...really a nice stroy and Review.

:lol:*www.4ukphones.com/sony-ericsson/sony-ericsson-p900-large.gif

Hmm mind getting review on SonyEricssion P900 For a Change ....

rohanbee

Padawan
A good friend of mine owns both these phones and i have used them first hand. Style wise the sony beats the nokia hands down. But with india (mainly north) being such a dusty country the screen of the P900 has to be adjusted at times because of miniscule dust dust particles getting behind the screen. Also i feel the nokia is not a very cheerful phone..........the interface though very clean (Nokia trademark) feels quite drab and boring. The screen on the top should have been slightly larger too..........
Of course on the other hand build quality and rugdeness in the nokia is excellent, compatibilty with the Pc is very seamless too..........

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
gr8 review grudge...although it is a bit biased....i dont know how u can call this phone the sexiest ever....i guess u havent seen the SE S700/710....

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
Hey Nemisis nice mention there . I completly forgot S700
Here are the images for those who missed : :p

*www.inside-handy.de/img/handies/410_g.jpg

*www.handy.ru/image/1046916319.jpg

Isn't it DAMN seXy....least to say . 8)

And morever this phone has the same lenses which Sony Uses for its CyberShot Digital Camera
Talk about Pic Clarity there !!!!

OP
drgrudge

drgrudge

Nemesis said:
gr8 review grudge...although it is a bit biased....
freshseasons said:
he he We all know drgrudge to be a Nokia fan so its obviously be Biased.
gxsaurav said:
Nice review, a bit biased in my opinion
YO ppl, wht is there to be biased in that? I am not trying to argue but want to know what was biasing in the review...

@freshseasons, Hey again dont make me tell the shortcomings of SE.
One main disadvantage of S700i (i presume that u are talking abt that), the swinging thing of the keypad is not good and the built quality and it is stocky and not for SMS junkies like me.

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
drgrudge said:
One main disadvantage of S700i (i presume that u are talking abt that), the swinging thing of the keypad is not good and the built quality and it is stocky and not for SMS junkies like me.

now u say that the S700 is bulky as compared 2 the 9500 communicator??? come on!!! the communicator weighs a whopping 237g....and as 4 the keypad....that is a subjective issue...u might like the keypad of some phone so dont go around telling people that SE keypads r not good....im using a SE T630 and i like the keys....the problem with ur review was that u were mostly praising the 9500 in a way that seemed like u were forcing the phone down our throats instead of being an objective review....

and coming back 2 the S700, do u realize that the swinging design actually helps prevent keys being pressed accidentally and also helps SE put a massive screen on the S700...yes the screen of the 9500 is bigger....but c the display ratio 640x200=>16:5...so lop-sided

now 2 the camera....only 640x480???? on a phone has such a gr8 feature set otherwise? nokia also needs 2 do something abt their displays: they r still stuck at 65k while others r offering 262k

finally, i like the 9500...no doubt abt it...its the most complete phone...but it does have drawbacks....

montsa007

~Bulletproof Monk~
freshseasons said:
Hey Nemisis nice mention there . I completly forgot S700
Here are the images for those who missed : :p

*www.inside-handy.de/img/handies/410_g.jpg

*www.handy.ru/image/1046916319.jpg

Isn't it DAMN seXy....least to say . 8)

And morever this phone has the same lenses which Sony Uses for its CyberShot Digital Camera
Talk about Pic Clarity there !!!!

the phone is a bull**** only good thing is camers and sound quality i used it for some weeks and found that memory is limited to :evil: 128 mb :evil: which doesnt satisfy a music lover like me upon that limited applications so sony ***** :twisted:

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
wtf!! Reporting this thread ... ur bumping this thread after 10 months ??? sheesh! :roll: Remem when the review was done and when ur posting ur views....man...

shivaranjan.b

In the zone
In my opinion Sony Ericsson p990i beats nokia communicator...

As nemesis said i think the keypad comfort varies from individual to individual.

And S700 has got good looks but it is not a smartphone.

i feel in smartphones category nokia is the leader.

SE phones are better if you are having budget of 4k to 10k. Above 10k a nokia s60 phone always rocks.

i feel we should not tell drgrudge is biased in his review he has just reviewed the phone and he has not compared it with SE. So why call this review biased????

Good Review grudgy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom