Newbie to Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
yes... wine does not simulate most of the games, leave alone modern games....

But CrossOver (Paid App) seems a lot better at running windows programs.... You can try the demo version to see if it works for the game you want to play!

I think for the cost of CrossOver he's better of paying Rs. 3500 incl. of all taxes, one time payment, for a windows xp home edition OEM. He must be using some windows anyway now :D
My advice is:
1. Install one of the flavours of Linux advised above without deleting your windows.
2. Learn to use various productivity apps like open office and other programs and slowly switch. Have a look at this table of equivalents
3. Use Linux for browsing. That way you can install only what software you really need on windows. Throw out the antivirus, firewall and other stuff that slows down your windows. Just remember not to access the internet through windows :D This move will free up more resources for your games in windows

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
I googled for windows gaming shell but did not get anything. What is windows gaming shell?

I believe that Prakash is talking about installing games on a Windows XP install on a Virtual Machine. However that would be interesting. I don't think that will work cause on Virtualbox when I go to the device manager it shows my display as an Intel 82801 onboard display as to the nVidia 8600 GT I have. hence I doubt that graphic intensive games would work.

i want a distro that contains all preinstalled codecs and media players..
plz.. sugest me...

You already installed Ubuntu 7.10 why not just click the link below and install the codecs? If you have a bad internet connection go to an internet cafe and then download the packages you want from the Offline Packages thread.

If you want to try out Linux I would suggest using a Live CD rather than actually installing it first.

ray|raven

Think Zen.
If u want games u could try Cedega.
The CVS version is free.

EDIT: Here's a link on getting cvs cedega working on Ubuntu.
*ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=193814/

Regards,
ray

Last edited:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
It so happens in VMs that GFX and audio are "emulated" to the popular devices. This is the reason why Compiz/Aero etc. are not supported under virtualization.

So hafing Windows in a VM is ok if its only to run some programs and office work; but won't help at all if the primary purpose if gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom