New Sata drive or New SSD + New Sata drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawx

Broken In
Hey Guys,

So my 6 years old WD blue 500 Gb drive decided to die on me. It just gave up randomly, the copying speed went into kbps, launching any app from the drive took ages and the HDD Sentinel program reported Drive state as critical with 11 % life remaining and 379 bad sectors.

Now I want to buy a new drive. I mostly do development + play games + watch movies on my machine.

I want to buy a new 1 Tb drive but my opinion is that I should buy two identical drive of 500 Gb x 2 = 1 Tb
The reason being I can use one drive for my movies and games and the other only for development (VS Code, Android Studio, Node, NPM and the lot.) Plus if a drive gives up on me I stand to loose only one drive at any given point.

Should I go with my analysis above or should I buy only one 1Tb drive?

Also I am thinking on buying a 240 Gb SSD for OS and core applications only?

The consumer end of SSD are flooded with cheap drives in range of 4-5k. Is it worth the price and money? If yes which one do you recommend.

I am open to buying from online or local stores.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Regards,
hawx

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Best budget ssd ever to launch till date(& seems like it will remain this way for next few years too):
Buy Online SAMSUNG 860 EVO 2.5″ 250GB 3D NAND Internal SATA SSD MZ-76E250BW In India

Only reason not to buy above ssd is if you absolutely can not afford spending more than 3-3.5k on ssd.Buy from above shop only,it is the best shop for buying ssd in India(it is ssd selling division of primeabgb & most of the the ssd brands they sell they are also its official distributors in India).

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
@whitestar_999 and @SaiyanGoku I will get a Samsung 250 GB SSD and 1 Tb Internal drive.
Internal drive Seagate or WD, on reliability terms? Or just buy one that gives best bang for buck?
Don't just get any Samsung 250GB ssd. You will find older models too and those are not worth it. Get 860 Evo.
As for HDD OEM, both have adequate presence and reliability. You should get one which has a service center in your city. AFAIK, WD has door pickup option. I'd pick whichever drive has higher warranty and rpm. Warranty varies from model to model.

mobo

Broken In
For 1 TB WB Blue should be the better choice. Also, Kingston has A400 120/240 GB SSDs that are a bit slower and a bit cheaper than Samsung's 8[56]0 evos.

OP
H

hawx

Broken In
Update guys, as per recommendation I have bought Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB for 8k. Courtesy Black friday deal and a friend from USA is bringing it down to India in first week of December.
Thank you guys for recommendation.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Update guys, as per recommendation I have bought Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB for 8k. Courtesy Black friday deal and a friend from USA is bringing it down to India in first week of December.
Thank you guys for recommendation.
Wow great man, Congrats.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
wow 860 EVO 1TB, that's a crazy deal my bro. your load times will be lightning fast now, in games (if. you play that is)
How does it affects in games? The map loads only once, right? So once the game/match starts, it all comes to GPU and CPU. Not much of improvement in gaming experience,right??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom