1. Hey Guest Did you know you can win an Honor 10 phone worth ₹33,000 and an additional ₹70,000 in paytm vouchers, just by replying to some threads and taking part in the discussions happening in the Honor Hub?

What are you waiting for? Start commenting and start winning! Remember to read the instructions posted here.

Dismiss Notice

New Sata drive or New SSD + New Sata drive

Discussion in 'Storage' started by hawx, Sep 6, 2018.

1. hawx

hawx Member

Hey Guys,

So my 6 years old WD blue 500 Gb drive decided to die on me. It just gave up randomly, the copying speed went into kbps, launching any app from the drive took ages and the HDD Sentinel program reported Drive state as critical with 11 % life remaining and 379 bad sectors.

Now I want to buy a new drive. I mostly do development + play games + watch movies on my machine.

I want to buy a new 1 Tb drive but my opinion is that I should buy two identical drive of 500 Gb x 2 = 1 Tb
    The reason being I can use one drive for my movies and games and the other only for development (VS Code, Android Studio, Node, NPM and the lot.) Plus if a drive gives up on me I stand to loose only one drive at any given point.

Should I go with my analysis above or should I buy only one 1Tb drive?

Also I am thinking on buying a 240 Gb SSD for OS and core applications only?

The consumer end of SSD are flooded with cheap drives in range of 4-5k. Is it worth the price and money? If yes which one do you recommend.

I am open to buying from online or local stores.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Regards,
    hawx

2. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 Super Moderator

Best budget ssd ever to launch till date(& seems like it will remain this way for next few years too):
    Buy Online SAMSUNG 860 EVO 2.5″ 250GB 3D NAND Internal SATA SSD MZ-76E250BW In India

Only reason not to buy above ssd is if you absolutely can not afford spending more than 3-3.5k on ssd.Buy from above shop only,it is the best shop for buying ssd in India(it is ssd selling division of primeabgb & most of the the ssd brands they sell they are also its official distributors in India).

3. whitestar_999

Price of 500gb vs 1tb is not much,better buy a 500gb/1tb internal & 1tb external portable hdd.

4. OP
    OP
    hawx

hawx Member

@whitestar_999 I already have a 1Tb portable that keeps backup of my photos+movies.
    So should I buy a single 1Tb drive or dual 500Gb drives?

5. SaiyanGoku

SaiyanGoku kamehameha!!

Single 1 TB drive. 500 GB drives make no sense because of low price difference.

6. OP
    OP
    hawx

hawx Member

@whitestar_999 and @SaiyanGoku I will get a Samsung 250 GB SSD and 1 Tb Internal drive.
    Internal drive Seagate or WD, on reliability terms? Or just buy one that gives best bang for buck?

7. SaiyanGoku

SaiyanGoku kamehameha!!

Don't just get any Samsung 250GB ssd. You will find older models too and those are not worth it. Get 860 Evo.
    As for HDD OEM, both have adequate presence and reliability. You should get one which has a service center in your city. AFAIK, WD has door pickup option. I'd pick whichever drive has higher warranty and rpm. Warranty varies from model to model.

8. whitestar_999

WD Blue for laptops seems better option considering its better after-sales support.

9. mobo

mobo Member

For 1 TB WB Blue should be the better choice. Also, Kingston has A400 120/240 GB SSDs that are a bit slower and a bit cheaper than Samsung's 8[56]0 evos.