New phone around 30k

sakumar79

Technomancer
Hi,
I am looking to buy a new phone around 30k. Please give your suggestions based on below points

1. Budget? 30k
2. Display type and size? Around 6" preferred
3. Dual sim? Not essential
4. Preferred choice of brand? Other than Chinese brands like OnePlus or Mi, etc and local brands like Intex, etc, any good brand with decent After Sales Service is ok
5. What camera option you want (flash, front facing camera)? Good main camera. Video and Selfie not very important
6. Preferred operating system? (Android, iOS, Windows Phone, etc). Android only.
7. Preferred connectivity options (3G, 4G ready). 4G ready
8. Primary use of handset (multimedia, camera, internet, gaming etc)? Internet. Music. Bit of Camera. Bit of Gaming.
9. Any specific mobile phones in consideration? Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge & A8+, Asus Zenfone 5Z, Nokia 7 Plus and 8.
10. Any other info that you want to share

As far as I can see, among the above phones,
S7 edge is 2 year old flagship phone, main concern is life of support
A8+ is relatively less powered I think compared to other phones but Samsung phones typically have good availability of accessories and support.
5Z appears great in specs but available only in FK. I prefer purchase at a shop.
7 plus is looking good. Processor is informed to be decent. How is availability of accessories and support for Nokia phones?
Nokia 8 is one year old but specs look good. Again, I am not sure how is availability of accessories and support for Nokia phones

Thanks in advance
Arunkumar

Minion

Conversation Architect
S7 edge poor battery life
A8+ weak SOC
5Z is very feature rich and have a SD845
Nokia 7 plus is a good phone with good camera

I will suggest 5Z

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Get either Zenfone 5Z or Xiaomi Poco F1. Buy online unless you want shopkeepers to brainwash you into buying crap. S7 is too old now. A8+ isn't even worth considering.

OP
S

sakumar79

Technomancer
A8+ weak SOC

I will suggest 5Z
S7 edge is noted to have a battery endurance rating of 92 hours by GSM Arena. Please confirm if battery life is poor...
5Z looks attractive but I prefer retail stores where I can feel the product before purchasing it.

Will take more comments...

Thanks anyway
Arun

Minion

Conversation Architect
S7 edge is noted to have a battery endurance rating of 92 hours by GSM Arena. Please confirm if battery life is poor...
5Z looks attractive but I prefer retail stores where I can feel the product before purchasing it.

Thanks anyway
Arun
Yes,Battery life is poor I know someone who is getting 3 hrs of SOT with samsung galaxy S7

Gsmarena gave endurance rating of 76hrs to one plus 6 and 78 hrs to Samsung S9 but my one plus 6 has awesome battery life getting 12-13 hrs of SOT with 3 days of usage while my cousin with Samsung S9 is getting 5-6 hrs of SOT with 18hrs usage
Samsung Galaxy S9 review
OnePlus 6 review

Asus phones feels very premium I have a zenfone 3 and it feels much more premium than One plus 6
There are asus stores.

Last edited:
OP
S

sakumar79

Technomancer
Yes,Battery life is poor I know someone who is getting 3 hrs of SOT with samsung galaxy S7

Gsmarena gave endurance rating of 76hrs to one plus 6 and 78 hrs to Samsung S9 but my one plus 6 has awesome battery life getting 12-13 hrs of SOT with 3 days of usage while my cousin with Samsung S9 is getting 5-6 hrs of SOT with 18hrs usage
Samsung Galaxy S9 review
OnePlus 6 review

Asus phones feels very premium I have a zenfone 3 and it feels much more premium than One plus 6
There are asus stores.
Thank you for your reply. I will keep that in mind. BTW, what is SOT? A game?

Arun

Samsung Galaxy S9 review
OnePlus 6 review

There are asus stores.
I still don't believe those battery figures of OP6

But S7 Edge has a decent battery life, easily 4-5 hrs SOT for my friend for a day of usage. It has a higher capacity battery than S7.

Although S7 Edge ain't worth it at 30k now for sure.

Thanks anyway
Arun
You get better phones online as getting a phone to all offline retailers across India with demo units increases the cost of phone a lot, which you would have to bear as a consumer.

Check youtube videos, check the dimensions of the phone with a phone you own or someone you know owns.

Asus 5Z at 30k & Poco F1 at 21/24k are great choices for you. By paying extra for Asus 5Z, you get a better camera due to OIS (optical image stabilizer) which helps a lot in low light, like indoor shots, night shots, etc. 5Z also has a useful secondary camera, which is a wide angle lens (check youtube reviews). 5Z is lighter but Poco has a higher capacity battery. Also, 5Z has premium looking glass back whereas Poco has a plastic back which is more practical. Asus can be considered a better brand but I think after sales might be a similar experience for both.

Other than there isn't a big difference between the two, same SoC, similar displays, stereo speakers, etc.

Minion

Conversation Architect
I still don't believe those battery figures of OP6

But S7 Edge has a decent battery life, easily 4-5 hrs SOT for my friend for a day of usage. It has a higher capacity battery than S7.

Although S7 Edge ain't worth it at 30k now for sure.

LOL, No I am not lying why would I do that.I don't use social media app on my phone maybe that is the reason why I am getting this kind of battery life I will post screenshots on our whatsapp group
Take a look at this thead
*forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-6/review/screen-time-t3772657/page3

Some of these people are getting 9-10hrs SOT

billubakra

Conversation Architect
A8+ weak SOC

I will suggest 5Z

Wait, WHAT? No bro battery life of the S7/Edge is awesome. SE's new update has made it smooth like a butter in every aspect.

Thanks anyway
Arun

Battery life is good, but go for S8/S8+ in that range. The former was around 31k and the latter around 38k before Note 9's launch.

OP
S

sakumar79

Technomancer
Thanks to all for your advice. Unable to see S8 at 31k anywhere... After taking all the inputs, I got Nokia 7 plus. I am not keen on buying online which is the only reason I decided against Zenfone 5Z.

Thanks again
Arun

Thanks to all for your advice. Unable to see S8 at 31k anywhere... After taking all the inputs, I got Nokia 7 plus. I am not keen on buying online which is the only reason I decided against Zenfone 5Z.

Thanks again
Arun
Nokia 7 Plus is a good phone, but why no online purchase?? Because of hesitance to buy phone online Samsung is able to sell their shitty mid-range phones a lot. I bought my laptop(Y500 for ~63k) back in 2013 online from Flipkart & everyone around me were raising eyebrows but I had the last laugh as my laptop was much better than what others bought for the same price. The same laptop was selling for about 7k more in local shops.

Top Bottom