speculation but it wasn't confirmed until yesterday. The last major version

arrived in late 2003. Microsoft officials have been coy about the next release,

but Gates released some new details including that it will include improvement

in workflow capabilities, rights management, advanced scheduling, document

sharing and business intelligence.
News Source: *www.techworld.com/

sms_solver

In the zone
office 2000 is enough for me, I can do whatever i need with it. Word processing, spredsheet application has reached the saturation. Most of the function required by a general user is there in 2000 version.

for me, word version 6 is enough.

abhinav

Journeyman
hey i use office 2003 and is very impressive............

By the way i am waiting for the beta version to be released......soon........

Anu

Right off the assembly line
Hey thats true office 2003 is really very good. I liked it better than previous versions.

rollcage

AMD user for 9 yrs!!
i too like Office 2003... its gr8. no probs vid it.
But will certainly try Office 2006, hopefully vid longhorn :D

Sourabh

Laptoping
sms_solver said:
office 2000 is enough for me, I can do whatever i need with it. Word processing, spredsheet application has reached the saturation. Most of the function required by a general user is there in 2000 version.

for me, word version 6 is enough.

mebbe you would have said the same with windows 98

nothing is permanent in life

rajas

In the zone
I havent used Office 2003 much and therez another version Release candidate. But I do like OneNote very much gr8. No need of saving. can record audio, can write, draw grpahs.

@abhinav: me too eagerly waiting for the beta so I would get my copy through TechNet and can evaluate it.

damnthenet

Journeyman
The only competitor for MS office is MS office itself. No use buying a new version for the HUMPTY DUMPTY price they offer for the ANT size development they make.
Daniel Moses

G

gxsaurav

I only use Word 2003 & Outlook 2003, & they are near perfect what else can they do to them

well, Save as PDF feature in Word & outlook will be good, but now since metro is coming, I doubt it

devilhead_satish

In the zone
Office XP's quite enough ya know. Office 2003's got an XML editor i suppose. No big deal. I mean how many would want that apart from developers.

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Damnthenet almost hit the nail right on the head. Office's worst enemy is Office itself. There are so many updates pushing forth so many new features that compatibility becomes a real pain at times. Forget about compatibility between various versions of the suite, there are issues even with the current versions and their service packs. How many users felt the searing pain of Outlook's new format PST issue or the compatibility glitch between InfoPath and InfoPath SP1? And God knows how much Office 12 is going to change.

As of now, the roadmap to Office 12 stands thus.
Beta 1: October 2005
Beta 2 (Public): First half of 2006
Beta 3 (Public): Mid-2006
RTM: Late summer 2006
General availability (GA): October 2006

Contrary to what most people think, Microsoft has clearly indicated that Office 12 is not necessarily for Longhorn. The suite will be released in 32- and 64-bit versions and will fully support Windows 2000 and Windows XP, and is not "an Office Suite for Longhorn." Since the Office Suite will be shipping long before Longhorn does, this makes a lot of sense. According to one Microsoft employee, "The Office team is disciplined. They nail down their feature set, set a schedule and usually hit it." Ouch! That's gotta hurt the Longhorn guys somewhere! :D

Industry analysts are of the opinion that Office 12 would be a radical change and won't simply be "Office 2003 Tweaked/Reloaded"; in fact, some are believing that by the time Longhorn ships, two versions of the Office suite, an "Office Classic" version and a special Longhorn version would be shipped. One thing though, as of Office 12, Office 97 is officially out of the picture. No more compatibility with Office 97 once it hits the shelves! Oh, yes, it would also feature secure access to public IM networks including those of AOL and Yahoo! And Excel will now come with a server product with central access to spreadsheets, reports, etc. Paul Thurott has updated his Office 12 Preview site on May 11 with some new feature lists. Check it out here.

ferrarif50

Journeyman
New Microsoft Office Release Coming In 2006

Microsoft next year plans to release a new version of its Office suite,
offering enhancements in areas such as workflow capabilities, rights
management, advanced scheduling, document sharing and business
intelligence.

Microsoft Corp. plans to release a new version of its Office productivity software next year, company Chairman and Chief Software Architect Bill Gates said yesterday.
Although many insiders had speculated that a new version of Office would come in 2006, Microsoft until now had not publicly confirmed when it would deliver the product. A 2006 release is in line with Microsoft's two- to three-year release schedules for Office. The last major version, Office 2003, arrived in late 2003.

Microsoft officials have been coy about the next Office release, which has been referred to as Office 12. Gates, in a speech at a Microsoft event for developers in Las Vegas, said the new release will offer enhancements in areas such as workflow capabilities, rights management, advanced scheduling, document sharing and business intelligence.

"Those are areas where Office has gotten richer and will in the next big release, which is coming sometime next year," Gates said.

Nailing down the date to 2006 is good, said Rob Helm, director of research at Directions on Microsoft Inc. Still, Microsoft could provide more details to the general public on its product plans, he said. Only a few customers who buy upgrade rights ahead of time are getting more information, under nondisclosure agreements, according Helm.

With Office 12, Microsoft is expected to release more server products designed for workgroup collaboration. For example, industry observers and analysts have speculated that a new Excel server might be in the works, but Microsoft has declined to comment. Existing server products in the Office System family include Project Server, Portal Server and Live Communications Server.

Microsoft originally planned to ship Office 12 alongside the next version of Windows, code-named Longhorn. The Office release is now likely to come before the new Windows version, which Microsoft has said will be broadly available in late 2006.

Source: *www.computerworld.com/softwaretopi...801,101651,00.html?source=NLT_ES_B&nid=101651

[flAsh]

In the zone
That's nice I don't want to buy it right now
Moreover OpenOffice has grown much mature
and so is StarOffice

Calcatian

Journeyman
Latest update May 18:
Microsoft offers peek at next Office suite

The new Office edition is slated to come at roughly the same time as Longhorn, the next version of Windows. However, the company has scrapped earlier plans that would have seen the two products tightly coupled together. Office 12 is expected to run on both Longhorn and older versions, with the major changes to Office not dependent on any shifts in Windows.

Microsoft did offer a few specific features it plans to add. As part of its attempt to let workers better make sense of ever-growing amounts of data, the company is adding into Excel the ability to create dashboards and scorecards that offer a quick way to visually keep track of just how a business is doing.

Meanwhile, in PowerPoint, Microsoft said it is working to automate more of the graphics features from within the presentation program so workers can create documents that look good without much design effort. The company is also planning to expand its use of XML as a means of sharing data with other programs.

In addition to sharing only the broad strokes of what features will be added to the Office suite itself, Microsoft is also not ready to discuss any new companion products that will be coming with the Office 12 wave of software. In the last go-round, Microsoft added its InfoPath electronic forms program as well as OneNote, a note-taking application.
More ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom