New Laptop for Graphics Work

edurgesh

Journeyman

Hello fiends, we need to buy a laptop quickly for graphics related work.

1) What is your budget?
(INR or USD)

Rs. 100,000 (USD 1,300) approx.

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?
  • Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
  • Light weight will be better, but without compromising performance.

3) What are the primary tasks you will be performing with this notebook?

Mainly Adobe Photoshop and other rendering software.

5) Any typical configuration in your mind you're eying for ?

Minimum 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD (more better) paired with a powerful CPU/GPU.

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like: Dell/Asus/Lenevo or any other good brand.
b. Dislike: Avoid brands without proper Indian warranty and support.

6) Anything else you would like to say?
  • Screen resolution ( 1080p (Full HD) )
  • Battery back up ( minimum (4-5hrs) )
  • Purchase place ( Online (eg - flipkart, amazon) / Local / Abroad (USA) )
One of my relative is coming from USA, so he can buy during the Black Friday sale and carry with him.

Thanks a lot!

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Gigabyte has Aero 15 with optional 4K pantone certified screen, perfect for your usage but could overshoot the budget and have no warranty in India. I can't think of any other OEM having this good config. Even the "creator" laptops these days are just higher priced gaming ones. MSI India doesn't honors International warranty so no point in going for them either.

*www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-AERO-15-OLED-SA-7US5020SH/dp/B07SFR748X

OP
E

edurgesh

Journeyman
Gigabyte has Aero 15 with optional 4K pantone certified screen, perfect for your usage but could overshoot the budget and have no warranty in India. I can't think of any other OEM having this good config. Even the "creator" laptops these days are just higher priced gaming ones. MSI India doesn't honors International warranty so no point in going for them either.

*www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-AERO-15-OLED-SA-7US5020SH/dp/B07SFR748X

Thanks for the quick reply!

I think India warranty will be important because this will be retained for a minimum of 3-4 years.
Also what about going for a regular gaming laptop from Asus or any other company? I think those will be cheaper, at the cost of little more bulk.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
I think India warranty will be important because this will be retained for a minimum of 3-4 years.
Laptops can last 7-8 years easily if proper care is taken (not blocking vents, not dropping liquids on it, etc).
Also what about going for a regular gaming laptop from Asus or any other company? I think those will be cheaper, at the cost of little more bulk.
You want it for graphics work so don't compromise on the screen. There is Eluktronics Mag-15 which is powerful and light but I'm not sure about the screen options.

There is another option though. Assemble a desktop with a good professional 4k monitor. It would cost more but if it can save at least 20-30% of your rendering time, you can do more work and earn more.

Dell has warranty transfer which works well, but their top the line laptops are shit, Dell G series & Alienware m15/m17. Asus also has international warranty & you can grab this one on sale now:
*www.walmart.com/ip/NVIDIA-G-Strix-...ladius-Mouse-Ti-GL531GU-WB53-B-Gami/359426903

Better choice is this one as it has a better quality display, about 100% sRGB vs 70% on that Asus:
*www.walmart.com/ip/RAM-GTX-PCIe-In...-c86-16eac8efa7c03a&athancid=null&athena=true
Not sure how Lenovo handles international warranty, maybe ask in their community forum. Usually chat agents blatantly lie about it, had experience with Dell & HP.

OP
E

edurgesh

Journeyman
Thanks SaiyanGoku & Anupam!

Actually this will be used by my nephew and he needs to carry this to clients; so desktop is not possible.
Also for graphics related work, good screen is really important. That Lenovo laptop looks good and well within budget; need to find out the India warranty part.

Thanks a lot again!

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do remember that in case similar config model is not sold in India(usually the case) then in case of any rma you may have to wait weeks/month for spare parts arrival from abroad.

OP
E

edurgesh

Journeyman
Do remember that in case similar config model is not sold in India(usually the case) then in case of any rma you may have to wait weeks/month for spare parts arrival from abroad.

Oh ok, thanks for the tip!

I think Lenovo has several model under Legion brand in India, so service should be a problem, provided warranty is honored in India.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
No, inferior actually as it lacks side exhaust vents, so runs hotter. Don't go with the naming scheme.
It has a MUX switch to run games directly on dGPU, bypassing iGPU and whatever bottlenecks it could be responsible for. Didn't know about the side exhaust vents.

vito scalleta

In the zone
It has a MUX switch to run games directly on dGPU, bypassing iGPU and whatever bottlenecks it could be responsible for. Didn't know about the side exhaust vents.
Y540 by default only runs on the dGPU. Thats y it has really bad battery life out of the box. less than 2.5 hrs.
You can also switch to Nvidia Optimus. This pushes the battery life to 4 hrs.

OP
E

edurgesh

Journeyman
Y540 by default only runs on the dGPU. Thats y it has really bad battery life out of the box. less than 2.5 hrs.
You can also switch to Nvidia Optimus. This pushes the battery life to 4 hrs.

Oh ok, I think battery life of 2.5 hours will be too less. Is there an easy user friendly way to switch to iGPU to increase battery life?
Thanks!

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Oh ok, I think battery life of 2.5 hours will be too less. Is there an easy user friendly way to switch to iGPU to increase battery life?
Thanks!
When dGPU isn't being used, laptops with optimus should switch over to iGPU automatically. If not, make sure no tasks which use/monitor GPU every second (like Afterburner, etc) are running.

OP
E

edurgesh

Journeyman
When dGPU isn't being used, laptops with optimus should switch over to iGPU automatically. If not, make sure no tasks which use/monitor GPU every second (like Afterburner, etc) are running.

Ok great! I think this should be fine, and provide a battery life of around 4 hours.
Thanks!

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Oh OK, but I think undervolting will be time consuming and risky process?
Nope. Not risky. Worst you'd get is a BSOD. Check undervolting guide from Bob Of All Trades youtube channel.
-100 mV on both core and cache using throttlestop should be easy. How much more it can do depends on your luck.

Top Bottom