New labour laws 2021

K_akash_i

Journeyman
I'm unsure if chit chat is the spot to talk about it.
There is an upcoming labour code which will change work hours as 9hrs to 12 hrs,there are other things said in it but this one seems concerning
If the work is 12hrs a day(which is extremely unhealthy imo) people are given 4 day work week ..as per law .But especially in software based industries(uses softwares for work,or developing) people are given overwork and very tight deadlines and some other shady tactics (basically they have work all week like school kids get homework:}) are used .i dont know if there is a perfect company with perfect people who completes even mammoth workload even if the deadline is fixed.There might be companies who are more compromising.
so wouldnt it increase dissatisfaction with life?Why are policy makers not seeing real time defects of current work life ? why do they make laws thinking that companies are running on a perfect robotic model with no overwork,extratime etc? Shouldnt they see inconsistencies in real time work environment?

note:all these are my perspectives which maybe amateur.I hope u guys can correct me if i'm wrong,

Nerevarine

Incarnate
what the f***, link please ?
This is insane and inhumane. Indians are overworked already as it is, there is no boundary between work and life anymore. This will only make it worse.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
K_akash_i

K_akash_i

Journeyman
ye keep an open mind my interpretation might be wrong:-o
still believe this is bad for human life
also check other news sites for more info

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Is it mandatory for all companies to follow this? Surely companies can have their own work hours policy.

12 hours seems steep but as someone who has worked 12+ hours over several months I don't think it's that bad. Only problem I have had is less time for leisure.

Seems like they are trying to bring a very Japan-like work culture. Personally I think we could benefit from it, but this will also bring physical and mental health issues in certain sectors.

Edit: The salary restructuring however is somewhat concerning.

Last edited:
OP
K_akash_i

K_akash_i

Journeyman
it is passed but it will be valid from october
I'm sure companies will always find excuse for overwork.
ye i've seen some documentaries on that work culture ,Its basically squeezing the juice out of the grape.Extremely unhealthy for people mentally and physically

Last edited:

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Economy going down, anyone have any suggestions

Guy 1 : Tax the mega corps
Guy 2 : Reduce unnecessary spendings
Guy 3 : let's overwork the middle class

Guy 3, you are promoted

OP
K_akash_i

K_akash_i

Journeyman
Everyones job isnt alike a researcher might work alot but his work is purpose oriented mostly , some people work just to make a living
Is it mandatory for all companies to follow this? Surely companies can have their own work hours policy.

12 hours seems steep but as someone who has worked 12+ hours over several months I don't think it's that bad. Only problem I have had is less time for leisure.

Seems like they are trying to bring a very Japan-like work culture. Personally I think we could benefit from it, but this will also bring physical and mental health issues in certain sectors.

Edit: The salary restructuring however is somewhat concerning.

.that some" people is the majority now.Japan's work culture is considered outright toxic.people die due to overwork

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Everyones job isnt alike a researcher might work alot but his work is purpose oriented mostly , some people work just to make a living

.that some" people is the majority now.Japan's work culture is considered outright toxic.people die due to overwork
Not to mention world's rank 1 in suicide related to work related stress

OP
K_akash_i

K_akash_i

Journeyman
If everyone is doing work that has any purpose or motivation other than money for them ,that wont obey any working hours.We have more dissatisfied people doing job than satisfied .satisfaction isnt money.

Last edited:

khalil1210

In the zone
I dont think the working hours will be increased.

If it is 4 day work week then it is 12 hr / day
If it is 5 day work week then it is 9 - 10 hr / day

The official said that the 48-hour weekly limit on working hours will continue. Employers will have the choice to make the employees work for 12 hours per day for four days a week, about 10 hours for five days and eight hours for six

*scroll.in/latest/986395/new-labour-codes-to-allow-4-day-work-week-says-centre

Couldn't find official document on this. so posting from news website.

I think 9hr - 12hr increase is a clickbait title to lure people to click on the articles/videos to increase views

OP
K_akash_i

K_akash_i

Journeyman
u do have a point there,click baits are everywhere .what am saying is I think deadlines and heaviness of work will determine the working duration,which means even if ur company choose 4 days a week it will be a bait in the end ,because if u get heavier works more time is to be invested .
Job security is another issue-due to it being one of the lowest, employees will certainly comply to extra work,so there goes ur third vacation day, Promotion baiting is also another method ,But if it all goes well (I dont think so) no change will occur, 12hrs would still be a very unhealthy working condition

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Only ones who think 3 woman can produce a baby in 3 months can make a 12 hour schedule mandatory.
I think given as a choice it's still ok, but this is something everyone needs to decide for themselves. Whether they want to work more for 4 days to get extra 3 days, or balance the work evenly.
But if they make it a law or something, I can see many dropping out in favor of doing something else. May make me rethink about changing employer or going freelancing full time.

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
For working class, more unpaid overtime.

But it is still a 48 hour work week in the end. It was 48 hour work week before and will be after. Sure companies will try to make people work weekends and overtime but that applied before too. Honestly it is harder to make an employee come to office an extra day than make an employee work overtime after 9 hrs. It would actually be difficult to make an employee work overtime after 12hrs - people will literally snap if they do that.

Edit: Also it's an optional choice. The 5 and 6 day work week (50 and 48 hours per week) is available to choose. The OP news is clickbait.

Last edited:
Top Bottom