New iPhone purchase new or refurbished?

powerstarprince

In the zone
Hi, I have had used an iPhone 6 and then iPhone SE (1st generation) before and both were purchased new. Sadly, my luck with phones was always bad that both these phones died quickly. My iPhone 6 had a battery connector failure to the PCB after having it on Jailbreak and sold the phone. My next phone was iPhone SE which was all great until I noticed it's strange behaviour with phone calls and data over network. Even thought I have it now and it works perfectly well except for this part I'm starting to believe it's a hardware issue developed somewhere in between or must be out of the box itself which I missed. I really would like to buy another iPhone again so I'm open to buying refurbished phones now due to these issues I have faced. Will it be worth to buy refurbished models or would it be better to get a new phone again? My choice would be iPhone XR and I do have budget constraints. I do not want to spend more than 30k. Apart from iPhone I'm also open to moving back to Android with my current favourite being Google Pixel 4a. I'm also open to not spending too much money on phones like around 15k if there's a good Android phone coming at that price.

What should I do? Should I look for refurbished iPhone XR or cheaper iPhone models or buy a new iPhone XR if it comes for 30k or the Google Pixel 4a or a cheaper Android phone at 15k price?

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
IMO, You should go for Android this time, At 30k, you will get iPhone SE 2020, that has a major con of less battery capacity. And as you use, it will lose some of it. At 15K, android has got great offerings, with high capacity RAM as well. Refurbished phones aint that good in india.

Here are a few budget android offerings

Samsung A32 (Launched just now, Wait for sale) @ 21999
This is good if you want a phone with good cam, a good screen, and good UI, Goood Battery. But remeber to uncheck all the Advert. options on first setup and there will be no ads.
*www.samsung.com/in/smartphones/galaxy-a/galaxy-a32-awesome-violet-128gb-sm-a325flvhins/

Mi 10i @20999
Good for its chipset, has a good camera. But has ads. you may flash custom rom to fix that Does have 5G support, but more of a gimmick, as we dont know whether those bands will be supported or not,
*www.mi.com/in/mi-10i/

Google pixel 4a
Has a great camera, good UI, overall compact phone. But not that good battery life. compared to other brands (3140Mah vs 4000-5000Mah)
*www.flipkart.com/google-pixel-4a-j...ram1=desktop_mapped_table&affExtParam2=top_10

These are pretty much balanced.
also wait for @omega44-xt 's suggestion.

Apple & budget don't go well together. If you want Apple, get one, end of discussion. I personally won't buy one, that's where I stand.

Pixel 4a is a decent compact phone which doesn't cost 40k+.

You can just get something like Redmi Note 10 Pro & have almost everything you want from a phone. Just spend time to disable its ads & removing useless apps via ADB. Otherwise seems good, GSMArena has reviewed the 108MP cam variant, battery life ain't bad.

pkkumarcool

Game & anime Lover
I didnt got it whats wrong with your SE?
Moreover if you want to buy iphone rn then surely get atleast XR or iphone 11 Dont have a budget for iphone thats not how it goes around these devices.Get an android and it will lag like hell in within 2 yrs.I also have SE and other more pricy phones but they lag like hell and have worst ram management.So i would recommend try to get iphone 11 now which is very future proof with apple updates also big screen.Only con of iphones i have seen is battery life but its worth it we can change it after 2 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
powerstarprince

powerstarprince

In the zone
The Google Pixel 4a seems to be my most favoured interest if I need to purchase a phone in India. If I can get the iPhone XR at a similar price I would prefer the XR. My iPhone is in a good condition it works perfect, iOS 14 is snappy and still feels new I usually don't let any scratches form on the surface. I don't know the issue seems weird and rare, some form of a problem with the network antenna and it's connected power supply to the main board. The real life problem is that it shows the battery percentage draining lightening quick when using the network through phone calls or 3G data. It also feels hot on the surface while holding the phone close to the ear around 3-5 minutes past the phone call. Under 3G data use I can essentially feel it and now it slows the phone too much. Must be something gone wrong with the 3G band. I haven't been able to figure out whether it is the network or a bad battery or a hardware problem. I have ruled out it's due to the network as I have swapped SIMs and didn't see this issue on their phones. Could be a bad battery and if that's the reason then it's much easier for me a purchase a new battery and even cheaper. But I cannot say for sure cause the phone works normal, there is no battery drain over Wi-Fi or when not using apps. I can do nothing if it's a hardware problem and the costs of repairing it could be huge.

Few of my choices are iPhone XR and iPhone XS refurbished for 250-350 pounds in good condition. Is this a safe option to purchase from U.K. as I'm living here for another month and would these phones last me another 4-5 years if purchased now. I feel XR should be purchased new right now as it's still in the iPhone line up on the Apple website and the refurbished phone doesn't cost too less than the original price of 500 pounds. So, I can't be sure if I don't want to purchase these high end models refurbished phones, then I would prefer a Android device between 15,000 and 20,000 if it meets my requirements. Else, I would go for the Pixel 4a paying a little higher and finally, if the XR is available as new in India for a good price (30,000 or less) then get the iPhone XR. I think the above 20,000 Rupees models from Samsung and Mi have a too big display size for me.

pkkumarcool

Game & anime Lover
How is the pricing of iphones in the uk Is it as bad as india? How is refurbished iphones pricing?

Sent from my RMX2185 using Tapatalk

OP
powerstarprince

powerstarprince

In the zone
Yeah the pricing is the same as in India. No difference but refurbished phones are available especially iPhone XR, XS are cheaper. iPhone 8 64GB also costs 150-160 pounds which is 16,000 to 17,000 Rupees. Honestly, the refurbished phones seem cheaper but most phones might have been overly used. There are 4 various grades available to choose from and the excellent condition phones are priced a lot higher.

OP
powerstarprince

powerstarprince

In the zone
I'm sticking to Google Pixel 4a for now if I'm getting the Android. Also open to SE (2nd generation) and XR if buying the iPhone as new. If budget is really a problem then I would prefer other options that are cheaper.

OP
powerstarprince

powerstarprince

In the zone
Yeah it's one of my choices over SE since it's also priced cheap and has twice the storage. I have checked on Flipkart the Pixel 4a is priced 32k and SE is 30k will these prices get cheaper after a month? I also saw that OnePlus Nord is in the competition at 26k. But most preferred Pixel over Nord. SE is the best for long term updates.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
Yeah it's one of my choices over SE since it's also priced cheap and has twice the storage. I have checked on Flipkart the Pixel 4a is priced 32k and SE is 30k will these prices get cheaper after a month? I also saw that OnePlus Nord is in the competition at 26k. But most preferred Pixel over Nord. SE is the best for long term updates.

Very less chance. Max you will see will be 30k. But during sales it will be more cheap.

Nord is a gimmicky phone. Mainly for OnePlus fans. As now it is neither compact, and OnePlus os is looks shit tbh.

pkkumarcool

Game & anime Lover

Actually for me i never tried one plus so cant say why one plus lovers love it Nord is a decent budget one plus phone.Also i am trying to switch from ios to android so considering this phone.

OP
powerstarprince

powerstarprince

In the zone
I think the competition in budget flagships was between iPhone SE vs Pixel 4a vs Nord and there is no clear winner really but the more balanced contender is the Pixel phone. All three are good phones for their price. Would’ve been nice if there was a Samsung phone in this list too.

I think the competition in budget flagships was between iPhone SE vs Pixel 4a vs Nord and there is no clear winner really but the more balanced contender is the Pixel phone. All three are good phones for their price. Would’ve been nice if there was a Samsung phone in this list too.
Sadly there isn't. 25-40k space in android needs better VFM phones IMO. Nord's cam is artificially gimped by OP apparently to make 8/8T look better. Good enough software though considering stock android lacks some features. SE's battery life is just horrible by today's standards.

pkkumarcool

Game & anime Lover
Like I haven't used the newer pixel phones but my opinion is if you're getting Android, it can't get better than a pixel, sure it's a slightly weaker SoC but it more than makes up for it with its design language and software.

Another option for OP is to get a used OnePlus 8

Old Pixels have bad motherboard( dont know about new ones) as experienced by @ithehappy He bought pixel and few months later it gave him many problems like random shutdown turns out motherboard failure.And getting replacement and repair is headache in india atleast.

Top Bottom