Need Wifi Dongle/PCIe Adapter for PC

TheSloth

The Slowest One
I want to connect my PC to TV and play multiplayer games online. The problem is I cannot get the Ethernet cable to next room. So I will carry the PC and connect to TV through HDMI cable.

I am looking to buy a Wifi Adapter or Dongle for this use case. The distance between current PC location and new location is about 20 feet or 6 meters.
Will I be able to connect to modem from the new location without any connection drops or any other issues?
Posting a layout pic of the house to give a general idea. I am not sure what should be the budget for this but I am fine with spending a bit of money.

Specs:
Motherboard: AsRock B450 Steel Legend
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
Modem: TP Link AC1200

House-Layout.JPG

Thanks in advance!

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
TP-LINK Archer T5E AC1200 Wi-Fi Bluetooth 4.2 PCI Express Adapter with Two Antennas, PCIe Network 2-in-1 Interface Card, Dual Band Wi-Fi Wireless, Low-Profile Bracket Included *www.amazon.in/dp/B084GT36WQ/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_MAP7Z50J8P1YG1RT7Q9M?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Am using it. Works in both 5ghz /2.4ghz speeds.

Sent from my SM-M317F using Tapatalk

OP
TheSloth

TheSloth

The Slowest One
TP-LINK Archer T5E AC1200 Wi-Fi Bluetooth 4.2 PCI Express Adapter with Two Antennas, PCIe Network 2-in-1 Interface Card, Dual Band Wi-Fi Wireless, Low-Profile Bracket Included *www.amazon.in/dp/B084GT36WQ/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_MAP7Z50J8P1YG1RT7Q9M?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Am using it. Works in both 5ghz /2.4ghz speeds.

How far is your PC from the modem? Have you ever faced any connection drops or ping spikes during online gaming?? And If you had to suggest something better, what would you suggest?

Also, I see some of the PCIe adapters have antenna with extended wire which helps in keeping the antenna at the top of the cabinet. Does that really help or just a gimmick?
something like :Asus PCI-E wifi6 Adapter - Amazon

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
How far is your PC from the modem? Have you ever faced any connection drops or ping spikes during online gaming?? And If you had to suggest something better, what would you suggest?

Also, I see some of the PCIe adapters have antenna with extended wire which helps in keeping the antenna at the top of the cabinet. Does that really help or just a gimmick?
something like :Asus PCI-E wifi6 Adapter - Amazon
Wifi standard 6 is costly right when the same speeds can be gotten from cheaper versions.
If your budget allows then go with the costlier options.

Even from 10feet away my PC works admirably. It all depends upon the main wifi router not on these pcie wifi devices as all work the same and also have the same range.

OP
TheSloth

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Wifi standard 6 is costly right when the same speeds can be gotten from cheaper versions.
If your budget allows then go with the costlier options.

Even from 10feet away my PC works admirably. It all depends upon the main wifi router not on these pcie wifi devices as all work the same and also have the same range.

Understood. The problem is there is a wall between the PC and Modem. I use the TV through wifi and sometimes the youtube videos just drop their quality from 4k to 1440p or 1080p. This also happens with Netflix and Hotstar videos. I don't want to face anything similar while playing games online.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Games do not require bandwidth as much as a 4k stream does.

But jitter and ping issues due to bad network can cause rubberbanding in games. You should test jitter to your router. But honestly, modern routers and adapters are good enough. Especially if its made by intel. Never buy mediatek wifi cards. They are trash (My legion 5 pro has it :()

Nerevarine

Incarnate
*www.amazon.in/Intel-Network-AX200-...8ffb5&pd_rd_wg=gwRa0&pd_rd_i=B07ZVYKRW9&psc=1

This is one of the best ones available. But need to double check for desktop compatibility.

Better link -> *www.mouser.in/ProductDetail/Intel/AX200D2WGL?qs=rkhjVJ6/3ELsYfiq%2BD09Uw==

You need something like this
*www.amazon.in/Fenvi-Express-pcie-Wireless-Adapter/dp/B07H5JJZ88

read this Wi-Fi 6/E Upgrade: Speeds Can Be Fun | Dong Knows Tech

Last edited:
OP
TheSloth

TheSloth

The Slowest One
*www.amazon.in/Intel-Network-AX200-...8ffb5&pd_rd_wg=gwRa0&pd_rd_i=B07ZVYKRW9&psc=1

This is one of the best ones available. But need to double check for desktop compatibility.

Better link -> *www.mouser.in/ProductDetail/Intel/AX200D2WGL?qs=rkhjVJ6/3ELsYfiq%2BD09Uw==

You need something like this
*www.amazon.in/Fenvi-Express-pcie-Wireless-Adapter/dp/B07H5JJZ88

read this Wi-Fi 6/E Upgrade: Speeds Can Be Fun | Dong Knows Tech
You mean to say I need to buy the Fenvi adapter and fix the Intel Wifi card on it? The combined cost is quite high.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
You mean to say I need to buy the Fenvi adapter and fix the Intel Wifi card on it? The combined cost is quite high.
No don't buy cheap Chinese knockoffs like fenvi go with reputed companies. Even tplink Asus is better right.
I tried this same slapping a nvmewifi card on the pcie card thing but could not gather all essential items needed so ordered the above thing and now I am happy with what speed I am getting. It's enough to run for us Gamers also.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Intel sells its desktop kit as well. You can buy the same if required, or you can get a regular TP link kit. But ensure it doesnt have mediatek chip.
I think ASUS is a better option.

Here -> *www.amazon.in/ASUS-PCE-AX3000-802-...ics&sprefix=asus+ax+20,electronics,265&sr=1-1

This comes with same intel AX200 as i linked above.

OP
TheSloth

TheSloth

The Slowest One
No don't buy cheap Chinese knockoffs like fenvi go with reputed companies. Even tplink Asus is better right.
I tried this same slapping a nvmewifi card on the pcie card thing but could not gather all essential items needed so ordered the above thing and now I am happy with what speed I am getting. It's enough to run for us Gamers also.

Yeah I will go for something TPLink or Asus only. Easier to get drivers and troubleshoot.

Intel sells its desktop kit as well. You can buy the same if required, or you can get a regular TP link kit. But ensure it doesnt have mediatek chip.
I think ASUS is a better option.

Here -> *www.amazon.in/ASUS-PCE-AX3000-802-11ax-Supporting-Bluetooth/dp/B087X3KLRG/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1OZODBNUJOU7V&keywords=asus+ax200&qid=1645798161&s=electronics&sprefix=asus+ax+20,electronics,265&sr=1-1

This comes with same intel AX200 as i linked above.
Got it, avoid anything other than Intel chip!
How is this one? This one's antenna can be kept at the top of cabinet.
*www.amazon.in/Asus-PCE-AX58BT-Dual...f68a9&pd_rd_wg=WtVSV&pd_rd_i=B07Y2BNRHZ&psc=1
Only 1 person in Questions has confirmed it has Intel chipset.

OP
TheSloth

TheSloth

The Slowest One
I guess its the same with external antenna
Then I will go with external antenna. I have plans to move PC around so a flexible antenna may help get better connection.

Or can you use a long ethernet cable

*www.amazon.in/Quantum-Ethernet-Patch-Straight-Category/dp/B00GZLB57U/
This was my first thought. But it's not possible without drilling through walls or near door. Since I am living in a rented house, drilling or even nails on walls isn't possible. I have already exhausted that quota for this house.

OP
TheSloth

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I went with Asus AX58BT. The installation was quite simple. Got it from PrimeABGB for 4.4K.

I have been using with for past 1 week and almost satisfied with it. Got above 100Mbps speed while downloading game from Steam. No lags in games like Rocket League. Only PES has severe lags and it took some time to find the best angle for antennas of both PCIe Adapter and Modem. If I continue to face problems then I will update the thread further.

vidhubhushan

Alakh Niranjan
Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I went with Asus AX58BT. The installation was quite simple. Got it from PrimeABGB for 4.4K.

I have been using with for past 1 week and almost satisfied with it. Got above 100Mbps speed while downloading game from Steam. No lags in games like Rocket League. Only PES has severe lags and it took some time to find the best angle for antennas of both PCIe Adapter and Modem. If I continue to face problems then I will update the thread further.

thats good. but 4.4? primeabgb shows 5099. you used some coupon or price increased?

OP
TheSloth

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Just an update. Not much impressed with the performance of the adapter. The distance between router and PC is about 15 feet I guess. They are almost in direct line of sight with a door between them. The connection was poor, which I didn't realize since I was getting 100Mbps speed on Steam downloads. I made small change in arrangements and found a way to keep PC in direct line of sight to router. Now I don't get lags in PES and also get 200Mbps speed on Steam downloads. Just for reference, I moved the PC 1 meter away from its old location to get this good connection. Not impressed because I preferred the old location and so much difference between performance from such a minor change in location.

Or may be the issue is in the modem/router that its unable to send wifi signals with enough strength through thin walls itself. I do not have enough knowledge on the networking and all.

Can any one explain why a direct line of sight was needed for my setup?
Modem: TP Link AC1200
Adapter: Asus AX58BT

Top Bottom