Need to upgrade old pc on a budget

sam970605

Broken In
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Gaming. Primarily, the Elder Scrolls series, especially 6 when it comes out. Fallout, Witcher Series. Assassin's creed, Far Cry 3-5.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 15-20k max

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Nope

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 7 or 10

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: already got 1TB.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: No

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Monitor, Keyboard/Mouse, Speakers, Cabinet, Hard Disk

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Within a month

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Not Really

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: New Delhi. I prefer online but we have Nehru Place here

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: Please read below

I have an old pc:

Stock power supply 450W built into Intex cabinet
I3-2120
4gb 1333mhz nameless ram
A basic motherboard to go with the proxessor whose ports hardly function.
Asus EN210 1gb graphics card

Now, since I have not been able to save for a new rig. The last option left is to upgrade the processor and motherboard here to play the games I've missed so far. My current pc is not working properly, mainly because the motherboard is failing. Kindly suggest an upgrade where I don't have to spend more than 15k-20k and I will be able to play games till 2014-15 at the very least on normal settings.
What I have in mind is get a pentium g4650 and a compatible motherboard + some outdated graphics card. As evident, any basic config today will be better than my old rig.

Please answer with any suggestions or input.

Minion

Conversation Architect
PROCESSOR-AMD RYZEN 3 2200-8000
MOTHERBOARD-ASUS PRIME A320M-K-4000
RAM-ADATA 8GB DDR4 RAM-6000
PSU-ANTEC VP450 WATTS-2600
May I ask what resolution you monitor have?
You don't to spend on GPU as Integrated graphics can really play recent games in low to medium settings also your current power supply is junk so I suggested a good PSU for you

Last edited:

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
G4560 doesn't make sense if you are going to upgrade it in future .. It's a hyper threaded dual core A g4560/+ 1030 will give you better performance at higher price . but it isn't future proof
Go with 2200g as suggested by minion , you can check benchmarks on YouTube, has a nice integrated gpu for price ..
You can add a decent low-mid end discreet gpu in future with 2200g and it won't bottleneck as it's a full quad core , g4560 will in few games..

2 very important things

1) Ram - it is very important that you go with 2 x 4gb sticks atleast 2400/2666 mhz , to run it in dual channel .. Otherwise you can loose as much as 40% performance by going with only 1 stick with 2200g..

2) go with corsair CX 450 @ 3200 , this is higher quality and comes with 5 year warranty, more bang for buck

Do search benchmarks and then decide accordingly

Last edited:

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
Otherwise you can loose as much as 40% performance by going with only 1 stick with 2200g..

hmm , please share some source/bench/info about getting 40% more performance by going dual . My impression was that dual channel RAM made only some difference in specific cases.

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
hmm , please share some source/bench/info about getting 40% more performance by going dual . My impression was that dual channel RAM made only some difference in specific cases.

That is true for discreet gpus since they have their own dedicated higher bandwidth gddr5 or 5x , so dual channel doesn't matter

In apus or igpus they don't have their own dedicated memory ,graphic memory is taken/shared from system memory which is very low on bandwidth.. Hence dual channel makes a big difference here as they are bandwidth bottlenecked

You can search more on YouTube , exact performance difference may vary from game to game

Ryzen CPU + Vega Graphics on a Chip: AMD Ryzen 5 2400G & Ryzen 3 2200G Review

Last edited:
Top Bottom