Need to upgrade my gaming rig

ishan2309

Broken In
My current PC configuration is:
Processor: Intel i5 760 @ 2.80GHz.
RAM: 4GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz.(Forgot the manufacturer name.)
Motherboard: Gigabyte P55 USB3.
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 5670.
Cabinet: Cooler Master.(Again, forgot the model.)
Power Supply: CoolerMaster eXtreme Power Plus 600W.

I am having serious issue playing new heavy games. I installed Assassin's Creed Unity and the lag it is suffering on my PC is intolerable. Even on the lowest setting, I'm facing FPS drops.
I am not sure if this is because of my 4gb RAM(The game requires 6gb, but then again I played COD Ghosts, which also requires 6gb, smoothly) or if it is because of my graphics card.
I want to know if I should upgrade my RAM, or just my graphics card or both. I really need to upgrade my rig, as I am looking forward to playing games like COD Black Ops III, Syndicate and other latest games that are on their way.
Please tell me what I should do, and please recommend some products.
My budget is below 20k.
Thank You. :D

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Buddy seriously you need to increase your budget to accommodate a mid-end GPU.

Intel Core i3 6100 (HT) -9000,
Gigabyte B150M-D3H -7000,
Corsair Vengeance 8GB 2133Mhz DDR4 -3500,
Zotac GTX750Ti 2GB -9500.
TOTAL -29,000.

OP
I

ishan2309

Broken In
Buddy seriously you need to increase your budget to accommodate a mid-end GPU.

Intel Core i3 6100 (HT) -9000,
Gigabyte B150M-D3H -7000,
Corsair Vengeance 8GB 2133Mhz DDR4 -3500,
Zotac GTX750Ti 2GB -9500.
TOTAL -29,000.

Can't I just buy the graphics card and RAM? I guess my motherboard and processor is good enough.

hitesh

In the zone
[MENTION=125321]nac[/MENTION]
No. Apart from preventing memory bottleneck, there will not be any noticeable difference

Kaltrops

In the zone
[MENTION=125321]nac[/MENTION]
No. Apart from preventing memory bottleneck, there will not be any noticeable difference

Incorrect. RAM can make a big difference in gaming. Going from 1600mhz DDR3 to 2400mhz DDR4 can give you anywhere from 5 to 15 frames per second boost.

That can make all the difference in making sure you never go below 60fps.

[MENTION=125321]nac[/MENTION] [MENTION=6638]Ishan[/MENTION]

ZTR

Cyborg Agent
Incorrect. RAM can make a big difference in gaming. Going from 1600mhz DDR3 to 2400mhz DDR4 can give you anywhere from 5 to 15 frames per second boost.

That can make all the difference in making sure you never go below 60fps.

[MENTION=125321]nac[/MENTION] [MENTION=6638]Ishan[/MENTION]
BS

RAM doesn't give much difference above 1600MHz

They only time RAM matter is when you are gaming on a APU

[YouTube]dWgzA2C61z4[/YouTube]

Kaltrops

In the zone
BS

RAM doesn't give much difference above 1600MHz

They only time RAM matter is when you are gaming on a APU

[YouTube]dWgzA2C61z4[/YouTube]
Lol, you are kidding right? That video is almost 3 years old. That video is DDR3 to DDR3. Could you post recent info comparing DDR3 to DDR4 please?

There is definitely a noticeable difference in certain games.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Incorrect. RAM can make a big difference in gaming. Going from 1600mhz DDR3 to 2400mhz DDR4 can give you anywhere from 5 to 15 frames per second boost
Thanks for the comment. But,
He's talking about getting DDR3 1600 and he already has DDR3 1333. So the comparison is between these two, not with DDR4.

Kaltrops

In the zone
Thanks for the comment. But,
He's talking about getting DDR3 1600 and he already has DDR3 1333. So the comparison is between these two, not with DDR4.

Apologies. The OP said he was considering upgrading his rig and Bssunil recommended DDR4 so I thought the comparison was for that. DDR3 to DDR3, you will notice a small difference. But there is a big difference going from DDR3 to DDR4, though.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
That video is almost 3 years old. That video is DDR3 to DDR3. Could you post recent info comparing DDR3 to DDR4 please? There is definitely a noticeable difference in certain games.
I was hoping to see some significant advantage of DDR4 over DDR3, but to my surprise it's not much and in some cases, DDR3 have an upper hand. At least for now DDR4 doesn't show any significant performance boost overall. This may change in future, will see...

Kaltrops

In the zone
I was hoping to see some significant advantage of DDR4 over DDR3, but to my surprise it's not much and in some cases, DDR3 have an upper hand. At least for now DDR4 doesn't show any significant performance boost overall. This may change in future, will see...

You shouldn't rely on these kinds of benchmarks to make an informed decision. They can be misleading. You'd be better off simply making purchases blindly.

I would much rather prefer more real world testing to get a better understanding of things. Digital Foundry are professionals with stress testing on various rigs in different scenarios. I trust their opinions --

Owners of older i5s - particularly those paired with slower DDR3 RAM - will almost certainly have issues sustaining 60fps throughout the run of play. Check out the sidebar concerning the impact of faster RAM: if you're running 1333MHz or 1666MHz DDR3, swapping that for 2400MHz RAM can make a substantial difference and definitely helps with your lowest frame-rates. We even saw substantial gains in CPU-bound areas with a Core i5 4690K.

What does it take to run Fallout 4 at 1080p60? • Eurogamer.net

What we're seeing here is not just an immensely compelling scenario for overclocking your 2500K, but also for swapping in faster RAM.

Intel often gets a lot of criticism for its iterative year-on-year improvements to CPU power, but the reality is that they do stack up over time and Skylake's migration to DDR4 with a wider range of memory bandwidth options also clearly counts for something.

Is it finally time to upgrade your Core i5 2500K? • Eurogamer.net

I'm so impressed with these numbers, I'm thinking of selling my 9 month old i5 4690 + 16GB RAM to upgrade to Skylake, if only for the DDR4 benefits.

That is why I thought Bssunil's advice to ishan to upgrade his Rig to Skylake was a very sound one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom