Need to upgrade, budget <20K, low usage, No gaming

yogiboy

Right off the assembly line
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Generic answers will not work. Be exact and avoid the word 'et cetera.')

Ans: I ll install Oracle Enterprise Linux and windows xp. I ll use computer for email,browsing, watching movies..NO GAMING...I ll run Oracle RAC database on 3 virtual machines

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.

Ans: I want to strain my budget below 20K

3. Planning to overclock?

Ans: I doubt I ll overclock, ever..unless I run some script with Linux for some testing, which going to be very occasional.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?

Ans: Windows XP and Oracle Enterprise Linux with Oracle Virtual box installed on it, to make 3 virtual linux machines.

5. How much hard drive space is needed?

Ans: 500GB

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.

Ans:No, I have a 17" monitor and occasionally, I connect it to TV for watching movies.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?

Ans:

Already have:-
Cabinet
SMPS 440W
CD writer/DVD reader
Monitor
Keyboard/Mouse

8. When are you planning to buy the system?

Ans:

Delhi

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?

Ans:

I think I can assemble it by myself, though I know a few people who can.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?

Ans:

Delhi..I can buy online too

11. Anything else which you would like to say?

Ans:

I want 8GB Ram, wireless keyboard/mouse.

Current config..P4 3.0Ghz 80G 512MB

I am confused between intel i's and AMD phenoms

A friend suggested, i5-2400 with intel DH67CL motherboard, Seagate 500GB, 2X 4GB corsair, Microsoft wireless keyboard/mouse

I also searched on net and found one more config..please advise on this one too

AMD Phenom II X4 955BE on AMD 785G chipset

AMD 785G chipset review - ECS A785GM-M test

I ll appreciate your help.

-Yogi

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
SMPS 440W
well, I told you to fill up the questionnaire in the previous thread doesn't mean you will skip whatever was mentioned above. I had posted a link about Power Supplies Blacklist in the questionnaire thread - *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/power-sup...89-power-supply-blacklist-thread-newbies.html <-- read this too.

Coming to your query, Running 3 virtual machines?

You should rather buy Phenom II X6 1055T in this case. 6 cores, it will be better than i5-2400 for THIS purpose. i5-2400 is costing in excess of Rs. 11,000 these days and wouldn't even justify the performance for your purpose.

Phenom II X6 1055T > Intel i5-2400 > Phenom II X4 955 BE for your purpose.

Phenom II X6 1055T @ 7,500.
Gigabyte GA-880GM-USB3 @ 4500.
2*4 GB Gskill RipjawsX 1600 Mhz @ 3300.
WD Blue 500 GB @ 5000.
Corsair CX430v2 Power Supply @ 2500.
Logitech MK320 wireless keyboard and mouse @ 1400.

Total = 24200. And it is worth it.

I have i5-2500k and I'm already choking its 4 cores by running VMs. My priority was gaming, so I had gone for this. Phenom II X6 1055T is better for you.

Top Bottom