Need to buy NVME SSD

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Hi Guys,

I want to buy M.2 SSD for my laptop.

Going for Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 SSD 500GB

Let me know if you have any other better option.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Go for either Samsung SSD 980 500GB or 970 Evo 500GB. Both perform more or less the same and come with top notch quality. Not much difference between Evo and Evo plus and SSD 980.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
I am also thinking to buy NVMe drive but confused between 1TB and 500GB. How is the performance of 500GB after it is filled 50% or more? At what stage, the performance starts to take a hit?

OP
Zangetsu

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
I am also thinking to buy NVMe drive but confused between 1TB and 500GB. How is the performance of 500GB after it is filled 50% or more? At what stage, the performance starts to take a hit?
I think 500GB is enough if you don't plan to use it as a backup drive.
For games & processing NVMe is excellent

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
If you have money to get a 1TB drive, do not even think of 500GB. 1TB drives will come with a larger SLC cache that helps a lot in data transfer.

1TB SSD 980 (non-evo non-pro) has far larger SLC cache (160GB) compared to 42GB of the same on 970 evo plus. Unless you are sending data higher than this SLC cache in one shot, 980 will perform really well (though it does not have DRAM onboard). The performance will degrade once the amount of free space is so low that the drive cannot use SLC cache effectively. Otherwise, for normal usage, you will not even notice any difference.

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
You might also want to check out Crucial P1 1TB. Currently priced 8.9k without discounts on Amazon:

*www.amazon.in/Crucial-1TB-NAND-NVM...1tb&qid=1617780306&sprefix=p1+,aps,333&sr=8-1

I've been using the same from past 2 years and works amazing. It might be inferior when compared to 970 EVO, but the performance difference is actually negligible in real world scenarios.

Top Bottom