Need suggestion for Gaming/coding use Laptop with good display.

rapusa

Journeyman
1) What is your budget?
~ 90k

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?
15" - 16" screen

3) What are the primary tasks you will be performing with this notebook?

Casual Gaming ( planing to play The Witcher 3, Middle Earth Shadow of war, LOL and few RTS games ),
Movies/TV shows ,
Coding (will need to run android emulator also, and multiple IDEs at the same time ).
basic photo editing. ( looking for display with good color output if available in my budget )

5) Any typical configuration in your mind you're eying for ?
none

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like: Dell/HP (Ok with any brand with good after sale service in India)

6) Anything else you would like to say?

Screen resolution/Display = 1080p (Full HD) , best I can get in my budget. Color output and refresh rate must be good.
Battery back up = normal (3-4hrs)
Purchase place = Online Amazon/flipkart. Amazon is preferred choice as I am planning to buy in next HDFC bank offer available in amazon :)
Storage = 256 - 500 GB SSD (don't need more as I already have external disk)
Processor = best I can get in my budget. ( minimum i5 intel level ?)
RAM = 16 GB
OS = Windows 10 +
GPU = not sure / no idea of current GPUs in laptops. Should be able to run most games in 1080p (HD) at high settings.
Weight = up to 3kg is fine. ( don't care about weight )
keyboard/mouse/webcam = Any basic level available in laptops (will use external keyboard and mouse most of time)
Should support latest wifi bands, atleast one USB 3.0 or better port, HDMI port and LAN port.

I already have my desktop for gamming so if laptop with good GPU not available in my budget then I am ok to go for laptop without gamming capability. But should have good display and basic GPU to run HD media.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Since you already have a gaming desktop, why don't you consider a Macbook 14"? You will get storage like 256GB but for normal tasks and coding, Macbook is preferred by many.

K_akash_i

Journeyman
*www.amazon.in/HP-15-6-inch-5-4600H-Windows-15-en0002AX/dp/B08CGGRHLH- 1 overall good laptop for gaming,good enough cooling

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Since you already have a gaming desktop, why don't you consider a Macbook 14"? You will get storage like 256GB but for normal tasks and coding, Macbook is preferred by many.
I don't think 256GB would be enough for multiple IDEs and Android emulator (from SDK I presume). Plus macbooks are crap for gaming.

OP
R

rapusa

Journeyman
Don't like MAC OS limitations. With windows I can use almost any application available and also gaming !

*www.amazon.in/HP-15-6-inch-5-4600H-Windows-15-en0002AX/dp/B08CGGRHLH- 1 overall good laptop for gaming,good enough cooling
Thanks, this look good but only 8 gb RAM, at 80-90k laptop I am expecting at least 16 gb RAM.

I don't think 256GB would be enough for multiple IDEs and Android emulator (from SDK I presume). Plus macbooks are crap for gaming.
Yes, more is always better. 256 GB is bare minimum requirement.
My current office laptop have 256 GB SSD and after installing multiple IDEs (including android SDK) there is still 60 GB free space left. I can get more free space if I remove my project files and clean downloads folder :) I am not heavy user of android studio, so basic setup is all I mostly use.

While searching I found these laptops:

ASUS ROG Strix G15 Core i7 10th Gen - (16 GB/512 GB SSD/Windows 10 Home/4 GB Graphics/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Ti/144 Hz) - 80k (seems like its good enough for all my needs)

MSI GF65 Thin, Intel i7-10750H, 15.6" FHD (39.6 cm) IPS-Level 144Hz Panel Laptop (16GB/512GB NVMe SSD/Windows 10 Home/Nvidia GTX1660 Ti 6GB GDDR6/Black/1.86Kg) - 82k (Looks good on paper but worried about MSI After Sale Service as I have seen many bad reviews while checking on random websites.)

Victus by HP Ryzen 7 5800H 16.1-inch(40.9 cm) FHD Gaming Laptop (16GB RAM/512GB SSD/4GB RTX 3050Ti Graphics/Flicker Free Display/144Hz/Win 10/MS Office/Mica Silver/2.48 Kg) - 93k (Best display quality out of three, but not sure if this extra price worth it )

Checked GPU of these 3 laptops in below website and seems all 3 can handle most games at 1080p -
www.notebookcheck.net/GeForce-RTX-3050-Ti-Laptop-GPU-vs-GeForce-GTX-1660-Ti-Mobile-vs-GeForce-GTX-1650-Ti-Mobile

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Could you tell what applications are limited in Apple?
256GB is enough for normal coding unless you are keeping massive datasets.
I suggested Macbook since you mentioned that you already own a gaming desktop.

Avoid MSI. Victus seem to have high temp issue, you can consider if you will use it in AC room.

D

Deleted member 345628

Thanks, this look good but only 8 gb RAM, at 80-90k laptop I am expecting at least 16 gb RAM.

You will always miss out on some feature one or the other anyways , why don't you consider adding a ram stick after you've received the laptop?

OP
R

rapusa

Journeyman
Could you tell what applications are limited in Apple?
256GB is enough for normal coding unless you are keeping massive datasets.
I suggested Macbook since you mentioned that you already own a gaming desktop.

Avoid MSI. Victus seem to have high temp issue, you can consider if you will use it in AC room.
Well seems like limitation of games and price are the only major reasons that can actually stop you from going for MAC system nowadays, may be some specific application still not available in Mac but not that really matters to normal users.

Mostly in AC room, at least while playing games. Does victus has heating issue during normal usage also ?

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Dont buy a 256 GB macbook for coding, I used to have one and macbooks generally outlive their equivalent lifetime of windows laptop in terms of performance for tasks like coding but storage becomes a huge issue after a couple of years.
IF you are going with mac, 512 gb is the min you should get, or get a windows machine with nvme slots. If coding, watching movies, and browsing is the only thing you plan to perform, then the new m1x macs would be just unbeatable, considering how good the m1 was. The battery life, screen and weight for the performance they deliver is very good, but know the limitations of ARM, not all apps are fully compatible yet.

For windows, I dont have a good recommendation, but you may go for 5800U/5600U if you favor lightweight laptops, that still have enough cpu power for coding. It would be cheaper + modular so you can upgrade SSD when you need. (make sure you buy a laptop with 2 nvme slots)

PS: good to see you again rapusa on the forums

OP
R

rapusa

Journeyman
In that case, why not go for much better linux or chromebooks (for general "consumer" usage)?
Because I want gaming also and feel more comfortable in Windows for my daily usage. My desktop is dual boot linux (ubuntu) + windows, so I use linux for most of development/coding stuff and windows for all other matters including games. I will also add linux in my laptop for dual boot latter. (may be after expiry of warranty period. )

At the time of first post I thought GPUs in laptops will not be good enough for HD gaming or will be too expensive, that is the only reason I request for non gaming laptop suggestion also. But in terms of OS, I am sure that I need Windows only.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Whatever application you use, just check on the official website if they have support for Mac. If no then no use of buying macbook. Macbooks are not for gaming but few games does run, like CSGO. Choice is upto you. Linux is another good option for dev work. Windows will be always be last option in this category as of now.
During normal usage Victus doesn't heat up. Refer this post and other posts from OP to get more info on Victus.

-------
Editing after above post.
If you are already planning on dual booting with Linux and considering gaming laptop then better to go Windows laptop.

OP
R

rapusa

Journeyman
For windows, I dont have a good recommendation, but you may go for 5800U/5600U if you favor lightweight laptops, that still have enough cpu power for coding. It would be cheaper + modular so you can upgrade SSD when you need. (make sure you buy a laptop with 2 nvme slots)

PS: good to see you again rapusa on the forums
5800H in victus laptop, is it better or should I look for U version ? BTW I am also observing M1 chip reviews, maybe I will buy mac mini when M1.2 or M2 comes up if they keep similar pricing.
During normal usage Victus doesn't heat up. Refer this post and other posts from OP to get more info on Victus.
Thanks, I will check that post also.

Any review on ASUS ROG Strix G15 ?

So, if you want a good display, HP Victus with 3050Ti seems good as it has a 144Hz IPS panel with 100% sRGB coverage. The Asus G15/G17 have a 70% sRGB panel + higher price.
*www.amazon.in/HP-16-1-inch-Graphics-Flicker-16-e0078AX/dp/B098QB5VW3/

RTX 3050Ti hits its 4GB VRAM limitation in some games at ultra settings, but lowering the graphics removes the VRAM bottleneck. Nvidia should have put 6GB VRAM but likely they wanted people to jump to 3060 instead. 3050Ti performs similar to 80W 1660Ti/2060 where its not VRAM limited, so a good GPU indeed.

HP Victus does run hot at full CPU load though (like ramps up to 100C then throttles), so you might have to invest in a cooling pad like Deepcool Multicore X6 (i use it for my m15). R7 5800H is the most powerful CPU under 1 lakh on Win10 laptops. Buy an extended warranty if you can.

Look into putting CPU power limit using Throttlestop maybe to keep CPU power draw in check. Like my laptop can cross 95C easily on cooling pad with 35W CPU draw, will then throttle down. So I keep it at 30W to begin with, hence no thermal throttling as it rarely hits 90C+ on games.

OP
R

rapusa

Journeyman
R7 5800H is the most powerful CPU under 1 lakh on Win10 laptops. Buy an extended warranty if you can.
just curious, is there laptops available with linux or DOS with better hardware ? I can install windows / linux on my own so no point of paying extra for window os.

I am not planing to play games in ultra settings, as long as this GPU can handle 1080p at high settings smoothly then no issue for me. But for victus, heating issue reported in another post and screen quality issues is real concern.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Some vendors give you the option to buy with DOS, but these options are fast dissapearing. The laptop I bought recently had this option, but a few weeks onwards, that option just dissapeared.

I think for casual gaming victus is more than fine. Not sure if there are any better options at this price, perhaps the omen laptops are better.

just curious, is there laptops available with linux or DOS with better hardware ? I can install windows / linux on my own so no point of paying extra for window os.

I am not planing to play games in ultra settings, as long as this GPU can handle 1080p at high settings smoothly then no issue for me. But for victus, heating issue reported in another post and screen quality issues is real concern.
Not much DOS options on gaming laptops.

I don't think Victus has screen quality issues, its a good panel, but has screen wobble issue. Some say the issue is overblown. Victus' build quality isn't as good as Omen, nor are the thermals. IMO they should have reduced the price a bit & put R5 5600H, as R5 is enough for gamers.

Look more into controlling the CPU, basically AMD mobile CPU's power & freq limits. For Intel laptop CPUs, I know how, but not for AMD.

K_akash_i

Journeyman
U can buy omen with 1660ti and 4600h ,it will come around 85 to 90k ,performs same as 3050, really good thermals.

Top Bottom