Need some maintenance software recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

pushkar

Journeyman
I want to know some good disk defragmenters and registry cleaners. I currently use Diskeeper for defragmentation and PC Tools Registry Mechanic for registry cleanup.

I searched the net and found two "good" defragmenters: UltimateDefrag and Auslogics Disk Defrag.

I also found Auslogics Registry Defrag, which defragments the Windows Registry. Is such a tool needed?

Note: I have an old system with PATA HDDs.

dhanusaud

Ambassador of Buzz
wht do you mean?
Is this suggestion or question you are asking?*www.smileygenerator.us/t/temp/PIG/blink.gif

OP
pushkar

pushkar

Journeyman
I am asking. I searched the web and found those two which I have mentioned. Are they good? I want to know from you people about the good ones.

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
For defragmentors, I recommend PerfectDisk 2008 :) I've been using it for some months, and its absolutely great! No problems at all with my disk, and I can safely say that applications like Photoshop, 3DSMAX, and Crysis load faster than they did after the usual windows defragmenter. You can either get it completely free from Here or for $40 from Here.

dhanusaud

Ambassador of Buzz
tuneup utilities also does the great job.:) but it isn't free, oops defraggler does a gud job too but its completely free go to www.defraggler.com for more info as well download.

Doomsday

Broken In
Try Ccleaner for drive cleanups. It's okay. But be careful not to delete useful files.

Go with AVG 8 Free and Spybot S&D for anti-malware. Both highly recommended. Light on resources and good results.

Try Windirstat for checking disk space usage, useful if you want to know what type of files are using up your space. I use it rarely though.

Go with the newer fully automatic defragmenter; it'll save you time and work compared to scheduling defrags the old-fashioned way, especially for multiple drives. Runs in the background using idle system resources and defrags nicely. You can use the computer as usual when it's running.

No need for a registry defragger. IIRC, all good defragger defrag the registry files also. Also, stay away from registry 'optimizers' and 'cleaners'..useless and dangerous things.

PS: BTW, Auslogics is no better than the built-in defragger..it lacks many useful functions and did not do a good job at all when I tried it.

Kl@w-24

Slideshow Bob
This is my list:

[] O&O Defrag
[] CCleaner
[] Revo Uninstaller
[] Page Defrag (rarely use it now)
[] Bootvis (once in a while)
[] Regseeker
[] NT Registry Optimizer
[] Sysinternals Suite (hell load of stuff for diagnosis and maintenance)
[] TweakUI
[] Spybot S&D
[] ESET Smart Security

Some of these are free, some are not!

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
^^ havent anyone tried PerfectDisk? I recommend it for people... why dont you guys check it out? Not free of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom