NEED POWER ADAPTER FOR WESTERN DIGITAL 4TB EXTERNAL HARD DISK DRIVE?

Hello,
to all of you.

I have a 4TB External Hard Disk Drive with Power Adapter, its Adapter is 12V:1.5A, actually it stopped running, I searched in the Local Market, but I found 12V:2A adapter that is also of not very good quality, and its not compatible with HDD. Please advice from where online I can buy Good Quality Adapter to run this Hard Disk? Also please Is it possible to buy Original Western Digital Adapter? Thank You.

Regards,

GEEKCOMPUTER_GEEK

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
what's the incompatibility reason? different connector? Otherwise, 12V-2A won't post any problem.

Original WD Adapter is again your standard "Chinese" adapter btw. I have opened one up and seen.

OP
G

GEEKCOMPUTER_GEEK

In the zone
@whitestar_999
@ico

Hello,

How are you?
Thanks for the reply, Actually, I searched the Western Digital's India Website, there they listed the Adapter and showed that the availability is on leading E-Commerce Websites like Flipkart, Amazon, Paytmmall etc, but nothing found there. As far as the compatibility issue, this is very strange but, this is true, actually I have two Western Digital's External Hard Disks, one is 1TB sometimes old and other one is 4TB 2018 Version, Both use 12V:1.5A adapter, when I connect 1TB HDD's Adapter to 4TB, it starts means light blinks, start spinning but slow, and it showed in the Device Manager, but nothing showed in MY COMPUTER or in Disk Management Console, same thing happens with this "INDIAN" made 12V:2A Adapter. I don't know what? but I think There is sometype of extra chip added in each and every adapter? made by Western Digital, for specific Year's HDD's and when I run this 4TB hdd, with the my friends 4TB or 3TB hdd adapter it runs smooth.Please advice.This is becoming quite strange.Thank You.

Regards,

GEEKCOMPUTER_GEEK

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the reply, Actually, I searched the Western Digital's India Website, there they listed the Adapter and showed that the availability is on leading E-Commerce Websites like Flipkart, Amazon, Paytmmall etc, but nothing found there.
Have you talked/wrote an email to WD support regarding this?

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
@whitestar_999
@ico

Hello,

How are you?
Thanks for the reply, Actually, I searched the Western Digital's India Website, there they listed the Adapter and showed that the availability is on leading E-Commerce Websites like Flipkart, Amazon, Paytmmall etc, but nothing found there. As far as the compatibility issue, this is very strange but, this is true, actually I have two Western Digital's External Hard Disks, one is 1TB sometimes old and other one is 4TB 2018 Version, Both use 12V:1.5A adapter, when I connect 1TB HDD's Adapter to 4TB, it starts means light blinks, start spinning but slow, and it showed in the Device Manager, but nothing showed in MY COMPUTER or in Disk Management Console, same thing happens with this "INDIAN" made 12V:2A Adapter. I don't know what? but I think There is sometype of extra chip added in each and every adapter? made by Western Digital, for specific Year's HDD's and when I run this 4TB hdd, with the my friends 4TB or 3TB hdd adapter it runs smooth.Please advice.This is becoming quite strange.Thank You.

Regards,

GEEKCOMPUTER_GEEK
No special chip in the adapter. The adapter only gives out DC current.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
No special chip in the adapter. The adapter only gives out DC current.
Not related to this but early dell laptops(talking about ~2010 & maybe even now) used to have an identification chip in mobo & charging adapter which used to confirm that a genuine dell adapter is being used to charge the laptop(identification signal was carried over via a small pin in middle of usual adapter charger pin). In absence of that signal due to malfunction or when using a generic adapter, dell laptop will permanently throttle down the processor as long as that identification signal is not restored.

OP
G

GEEKCOMPUTER_GEEK

In the zone
Of course that's understandable as 4TB drives need much more power than 1TB drives.

I also thought about this, but Why the Purchased Adapter? that has 12V:2A output is not able to run the Hdd, neither 4TB nor 1TB, and it throttles like the Dell Laptops, After reading about your reply about the Dell Laptops, I am sure there must be some kind of tech working in the Adapters, anyways, I am going to post in the Western Digital Forum, lets see What reply I get there?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I also thought about this, but Why the Purchased Adapter? that has 12V:2A output is not able to run the Hdd, neither 4TB nor 1TB, and it throttles like the Dell Laptops, After reading about your reply about the Dell Laptops, I am sure there must be some kind of tech working in the Adapters, anyways, I am going to post in the Western Digital Forum, lets see What reply I get there?
Don't just rely on WD forum, email/call them.

Top Bottom