need new 1 TB External Hard disk Suggestion ?

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Looks like WD Ultra got a price drop!!
*www.amazon.in/WD-Passport-Ultra-Po...=UTF8&qid=1431083885&sr=8-1&keywords=wd+ultra
until recently it was for 4.8k

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
dont get Toshiba,I bought one a while ago
ran into issues,ASS is very poor even worse than Seagate

I got my Toshiba USB 2.0 500 GB drive replaced with a new USB 3.0 one in RMA. Seagate gave me a refurbished drive in RMA which failed in 6 months.

So for me, Toshiba is better than Seagate.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
I got my Toshiba USB 2.0 500 GB drive replaced with a new USB 3.0 one in RMA. Seagate gave me a refurbished drive in RMA which failed in 6 months.

So for me, Toshiba is better than Seagate.

I guess its situational then
still Im not buying any non-WD drives anymore personally,have had too many experiences(not that any of my WDs were flawless,but after sales and RMA has been very good for me before)

OP
Skyh3ck

Skyh3ck

Cyborg Agent
the deal is gone, but keep watching many times on amazon.in prices is reduced for some time, you can buy then, i am still waiting for my hdd to arrive

OP
Skyh3ck

Skyh3ck

Cyborg Agent
ok guys, i have got my WD 1 TB hdd delivered today by Amazon. it has 3 year warranty

now, there are some softwares saved on the wd hdd, can you please tell me what should i do with it, can i delete it and format the hard disk, are those software available on western digital site,

also how can i protect folders on my drive, so when i give the hdd to friends, they cant access the confidential data ?

$hadow

Geek in making
Use the bundled software to protect your data. And beside avoid giving your confidential data to anyone because locks are for the good people not for those who know how to break those locks. And also do register the drive.

OP
Skyh3ck

Skyh3ck

Cyborg Agent
can i make this hard disk bootable, to install windws 7, linux etc, or can i install windows 7 directly on this drive? is there any harm in it?

Also is it possible to make multiple partition in external drive, like one partition each for Movies, Music, Data, Software etc, is there any harm in doing it.

Also is it necessary to use those bundled software, or i can just re format as i wish?

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Yes you can but its not recommended as its not good for the drive in long run.

Its also possible to make partitions on the drive.

As for the bundled softwares, I never cared enough to use them.

OP
Skyh3ck

Skyh3ck

Cyborg Agent
how can i parition my wd external hard disk, and do i need to make primary, logical and extended parition just like the internal hard drive,

what is the procedure to do that, also is there any harm in doing it ?

DK_WD

WD Official
Hi [MENTION=72751]Skyh3ck[/MENTION],

can i make this hard disk bootable, to install windows 7, linux etc, or can i install windows 7 directly on this drive? is there any harm in it?

There is no issue if you are going to make the external drive as bootable drive. For bootable OS Installation, I’d suggest you to use the thumb drive for booting and formatting of the laptops and PCs.

To create a bootable drive, you can use a Windows USB/DVD Download Tool. For more information regarding the software, you may refer to the link below

*www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool

Also is it possible to make multiple partition in external drive, like one partition each for Movies, Music, Data, Software etc, is there any harm in doing it.

As per [MENTION=145143]SaiyanGoku[/MENTION], I agree with him. The external hard drives can be partitioned to small drives so that there will be more drive in your external hard drive. Based on my knowledge, I’d not advise you to create the partition for the external drive because if any power failure occur, then PC will ask you to format the drive, and it's the first stage of losing the data or corrupt the drive.

For alternatives, I advise you to create the folder inside the drive rather than the partition.

Also is it necessary to use those bundled software, or i can just re format as i wish?

I agree with [MENTION=159164]$hadow[/MENTION]. WD softwares provides you the encryption and security for data. It’s recommended to use the software for protection.

For your future references, I will provide you the link that can help you to download the WD softwares

Support Answers

Hope it helps.

OP
Skyh3ck

Skyh3ck

Cyborg Agent
ok what about the bundled cable, what happens if WD usb cable gets lost or malfunction, what are the alternatives, can we use mini usb cable from mobile charger, ot does it require wd cable only, the pin is very unique ?

Lenny

Journeyman
I just bought WD 1 terra a month ago. I've always used WD. So far it's pretty well does the job for me.

Top Bottom