Broken In
1) What is your budget?
- 35-45k
Can be extend by 4-5k if necessary

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer
  • Thin and Light; 12" - 14" screen
Or
  • Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

3) What are the primary tasks you will be performing with this notebook?

- light/medium gaming
( War thunder, World of Warships/Tanks,Company of Heroes, GTA,AC are a few franchises I'm currently interested in)
many more but these are the ones i can think of right now.
Not too keen on the latest greatest AAA's

- Emulating old handhelds and consoles (GB/C, GBA, PSP, PS1, NES, SNES etc..) and DOS games.

- heavy browsing (50+ tabs on chrome) I'm lazy.

- programming ( I'm not sure about my needs in this department as i haven't decided but will get into mobile game / web development down the line )

5) Any typical configuration in your mind you're eying for ?

- 8th gen i5 / 8gb ram / 1 TB / Win10
- open to ryzen too

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like: none
b. Dislike: none

6) Anything else you would like to say?
  • Screen resolution ( 1080p (Full HD) )
  • Battery back up ( normal (3-4hrs) ) higher the better
  • Purchase place ( Online (flipkart, Amazon)/ Local - Hyderabad )

- I've been using a desktop for the past 5 years which is powered by a i3-3220 / 4GB ram / 1 TB / HD3000 graphics

I've been playing games on the lowest possible settings (very frustrating:banghead:) so was thinking of an MX150 or higher graphics chip

In an earlier thread a user with similar recquirements was suggested an " Acer Aspire 5 " with an MX150 which i went looking for but is OOS.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
A laptop with MX150 is your best bet at your budget but it isn't futureproof at all. It just barely runs latest games at 30+ fps at lowest settings.

Even I'm unable to find a laptop with MX150 at 45k. It seems Acer swapped out MX150 for MX130 which is equivalent to old GT940MX.

The value for money choice would be a GTX 1050Ti powered that goes for 62-65k during sales, check Flipkart's sales or Flipkart fridays or Amazon (rarely but sometimes there are good deals there too).

I found some good deals on paytm with cashback though:
Asus TUF FX504GD-E4021T (15.6 Inch (39.62)FHD IPS/i5-8300H(8th Gen.)/8GB DDR4 2666 Mhz. /1TB SSH8G /NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 4GB DDR5/WIN10/802.11ac/BT 4.0/Black Metal/1Y) Online at 13% off. |Paytm Mall
With 10k paytm cashback in paytm wallet, effective price is 55k which is great for a gaming laptop with i5 8300H + GTX 1050 4GB (1050 is 2x better than MX150).

MX150 at 47k with cashback:
Acer Aspire 5 (Core i5 - 8th Gen / 8 GB / 1 TB / 39.62 cm (15.6 Inch) / Windows 10 / 2 GB Graphics) Aspire A515-51G UN.GT1SI.004 (Black, 2.2 kg) Online at 13% off. |Paytm Mall

I bought my current laptop from paytm 2+ years ago & I was able to transfer the cashback I got to my bank account for a small fee (i think 2% of the amount).

OP
K

killzone555

Broken In
A laptop with MX150 is your best bet at your budget but it isn't futureproof at all. It just barely runs latest games at 30+ fps at lowest settings.

Even I'm unable to find a laptop with MX150 at 45k. It seems Acer swapped out MX150 for MX130 which is equivalent to old GT940MX.

The value for money choice would be a GTX 1050Ti powered that goes for 62-65k during sales, check Flipkart's sales or Flipkart fridays or Amazon (rarely but sometimes there are good deals there too).

I found some good deals on paytm with cashback though:
Asus TUF FX504GD-E4021T (15.6 Inch (39.62)FHD IPS/i5-8300H(8th Gen.)/8GB DDR4 2666 Mhz. /1TB SSH8G /NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 4GB DDR5/WIN10/802.11ac/BT 4.0/Black Metal/1Y) Online at 13% off. |Paytm Mall
With 10k paytm cashback in paytm wallet, effective price is 55k which is great for a gaming laptop with i5 8300H + GTX 1050 4GB (1050 is 2x better than MX150).

MX150 at 47k with cashback:
Acer Aspire 5 (Core i5 - 8th Gen / 8 GB / 1 TB / 39.62 cm (15.6 Inch) / Windows 10 / 2 GB Graphics) Aspire A515-51G UN.GT1SI.004 (Black, 2.2 kg) Online at 13% off. |Paytm Mall

I bought my current laptop from paytm 2+ years ago & I was able to transfer the cashback I got to my bank account for a small fee (i think 2% of the amount).

Thanks @anupam_pb i went ahead and orderd the Asus FX504 from Paytm. Had to stretch my budget quite a bit but i5/Gtx1050 at 55k is a steal IMO.

I've never ordered anything on Paytm and this being my first laptop purchase I was a little sceptical but the product description said it is being sold by an authorised seller(had no rating). Fingers crossed:doublethumb:

I watched this video right after placing the order and the reviewer says something about throttling, AFAIK throttling here means the CPU or GPU will underperform right?
The model in the video has an 8th Gen. i7 and the one I'm getting has an i5, should i be bothered?

Here's the link to the video,

I used to read a lot about computer related tech earlier but was out of the loop for the past 3-4 years and i know nothing right now so please bear with me.

And can you please direct me to some tips and tricks for a new Windows 10/Laptop user. Only thing i know is that i should be clearing all the bloatware.

Thank you.

Thanks @anupam_pb i went ahead and orderd the Asus FX504 from Paytm. Had to stretch my budget quite a bit but i5/Gtx1050 at 55k is a steal IMO.

I've never ordered anything on Paytm and this being my first laptop purchase I was a little sceptical but the product description said it is being sold by an authorised seller(had no rating). Fingers crossed:doublethumb:

I watched this video right after placing the order and the reviewer says something about throttling, AFAIK throttling here means the CPU or GPU will underperform right?
The model in the video has an 8th Gen. i7 and the one I'm getting has an i5, should i be bothered?

Here's the link to the video,

I used to read a lot about computer related tech earlier but was out of the loop for the past 3-4 years and i know nothing right now so please bear with me.

And can you please direct me to some tips and tricks for a new Windows 10/Laptop user. Only thing i know is that i should be clearing all the bloatware.

Thank you.
Detailed review for model with i5 & 1050:
Asus TUF FX504GD (Core i5-8300H, GTX 1050) Laptop Review

According to that, it has great thermals but it is underperforming sometimes even though there is thermal headroom (in CPU stress test). No problems while gaming though.

I would say, its not an issue as its not throttling due to thermals. You can undervolt & overclock the CPU if you want as there is sufficient thermal headroom.

You don't have to clear all bloatwares but do delete McAfee or Norton for sure, along with other softwares which aren't necessary, don't delete the audio tuner or control center or similar things.

Last edited:
OP
K

killzone555

Broken In
Thanks a lot @anupam_pb. Was busy so couldn't post, got the laptop last week.
Screenshot_20180901-215853.png Screenshot_20180901-220021.png
Love the the design choices ASUS has taken.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I have decided to buy same model but the SSD version for my friend. This surely is a good laptop.
Of course, not getting as good of a deal right now since there is only 5% cashback now.

Any idea if this laptop is going to be any cheaper over next month? On Paytm or elsewhere!?

I have decided to buy same model but the SSD version for my friend. This surely is a good laptop.
Of course, not getting as good of a deal right now since there is only 5% cashback now.

Any idea if this laptop is going to be any cheaper over next month? On Paytm or elsewhere!?
The GTX 1050Ti variant has been on sale for 64k or so a few times. Paytm might offer a good cashback but can't be certain. There will surely be good deals during Diwali. Companies would like to sell off as much Pascal GPUs as possible.

Top Bottom