hrgagan

Broken In
Hi All,

I have a Dell UltraSharp 2312HM Monitor which has a Display Port. I want to connect Tata Sky HD box to watch HD TV on this monitor.
I also have a HDE Display Port Male to HDMI Male cable with me since the monitor does not have a HDMI port, I use this to connect the monitor to my bravia.
I need help figuring out the best possible solution for watching tv on this monitor alone, Since I am planning to shift my TV out.
I also want to know on connecting the Set Top Box directly to the monitor via the cable(Display Port-HDMI cable) will I be able to watch TV.

Regards,
Gagan

OP
H

hrgagan

Broken In
Thanks for your quick reply, but I was wondering on just connecting the monitor directly to set top box. This way I won't be needing a tv tuner card. Your approach seems correct but then again I would need to buy a good tv tuner card and a grap card installed on my system.
Thanks,
Gagan

LGWRSherlock

LG Expert
I am not sure try to connecting your monitor using HDMI cable of STB if it works.

Unfortunately the HDMI transmits both video and audio information, so you may run into some problems since the Display Port is only for video. Does your set top box have a separate audio out aside from the component cable?

Perhaps you can post a picture of all the connectivity options on the back of the set top as well as your monitor.

LG WRman Sherlock, out!

OP
H

hrgagan

Broken In
Hi LGWRSHerlock,

Please find the attachments showing the connectivity options.
I am open to buying a TV tuner card as well. But since I dont have my TV anymore, I wish to watch HD channels using this monitor.
Thanks for your reply.

Tata-Sky-HD-STB-21.jpgDELL_UltraSharp_U2312HM_331.jpg

LGWRSherlock

LG Expert
Unfortunately the HDMI transmits both video and audio information, so you may run into some problems since the Display Port is only for video. Does your set top box have a separate audio out aside from the component cable?

Perhaps you can post a picture of all the connectivity options on the back of the set top as well as your monitor.

LG WRman Sherlock, out!

I just realized that what I said earlier sounds a little misleading. DisplayPort can transmit both audio and video, but the DisplayPort on your particular monitor is only for video since it does not have built in speakers.

In any case, I see only one solution to your problem: HDMI ANALOG AUDIO EXTRACTOR CONVERTER - Separate Stereo Audio from HDMI Signal | eBay.

This will allow you to split the audio from the HDMI to analog (read: 3.5mm stereo). So this is how it would look, the HDMI cable comes out from your set top box and will connect to the audio extractor. Then your HDMI male to DisplayPort cable will go into the audio extractor, and the the DisplayPort into your monitor. Then you will have to get a male to male 3.5mm stereo cable to extract the sound to your desired speakers.

I hope this helps you out!

LG WRman Sherlock, out!

Top Bottom