Need help with Windows Defender....

Status
Not open for further replies.

ECE0105

In the zone
I have just downloaded and Installed Windows Defender Beta 2 from rapidshare, since the Microsoft Site said that My version of Windows was Pirated. When I tried to install it, even the Defender installation said that the OS was not activated and stopped installation.

I then reinstalled the OS and used the Same original Key and was able to install the Defender software....

The issue is that, defender shows that the definition updates are 55 days old and shows a grey icon on the Taksbar with an Exclamation. It never prompted me for an update. When I try to click the update button on the Defender Interface, It greys out for a second and comes back to the normal state without any updates happening. Please help me with this.........

Another question is, Why does my copy of Windows not clear the Validation check the first time, when the OS is Original??????

I think I was better off with a Pirated version, cause I atleast had the option of downloading and using Cracks to bypass the Validation check.......................

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Go to C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\ folder

Right-click on AS_Sigs.MSI and choose Uninstall from the context menu

Then try to update again..

Did u install any crack/hack that messed with your previous installation.. So that it was not getting validated..

OP
ECE0105

ECE0105

In the zone
Thanks for the reply. I will try out your suggestion.

No, I when I have an Original Version, why will I go for a crack????

Tried out the steps, it asks wether to uninstall the product and when I click on Yes, it gives an Error....

"This action is valid only for products that are currently installed"

Please let me know what can be done....

OP
ECE0105

ECE0105

In the zone
That might be a solution...

But please check my first post.

I am worried that if I reinstall it, it might again give that Validation error and I cannot install the Software...

Let me anyways try out the suggestion and hope for the best...

kalpik

I really dont think that validation thing should crop up again.. So did you try it? Did it work?

OP
ECE0105

ECE0105

In the zone
No Buddy.........

When I am trying to uninstall it, it agin gives the Validation error message and Does not uninstall.....

I tried "Magic Utilities" to uninstall it but even that did not work..... Since then I cannot see the "Remove" button in the Add/Remove Programs list................

This is getting Crazy....................
Could you please let me know how to manually uninstall it???
Deleting the Folders and files and clear the Registry might work....

kalpik

Hmm... There is something seriously wrong with your PC! Validation error during un-install? Well deleting files and registry data *might* work, but since i dont have that installed right now, i cant tell you the exact registry keys! And yeah, be *very* cautious while dealing with the registry.. And just a suggestion, since windows defender is causing you so much trouble, why dont you try something else?

OP
ECE0105

ECE0105

In the zone
Came to the same conclusion....

Another Option would be to format the C:\ and then Re-install the OS.

But, I am worried wether doing so Might cause the validation check to fail even when Activating Windows.......

Thanks for your Replies Bro...............

kalpik

Hmm you could try re-installing windows.. But believe me, windows defender is not worth all that trouble! Hehe.. Get other free AS like Ad-Aware or SpyBot.. And replying is no problem! My pleasure Bro!

OP
ECE0105

ECE0105

In the zone
Got Both Mentioned by you...............

Had the Admins at my office Swearing by MS Anti-Spyware. That's the reason I tried installing it. When I tried installing it from a DIgit DVD, but the installation said that it was valid till only 31st December'05.....

This Anti- Piracy Policy of MS really sucks. And I hope it removes that by the time Vista Releases.......

kalpik

Exactly! MS Antispyware was good (beta1), but windows defender (beta2) is not that good..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom