Need help with this precious Old HP laptop

G6Laptop

Right off the assembly line
I have a very old HP G6 2007tx laptop (i5 2450M, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon 7670M 1GB graphics) which was a mid-range beast of its time 9 years ago back in 2012.
Recently I was running it normally one day when it shut down suddenly and then wouldn't turn on, only the power light went on and the wifi light stayed red and the screen went black and won't come up.

So I cleaned the heat sink, changed the fan and re-applied the thermal paste and did overall service and cleaning of the laptop. I also replaced the keyboard and battery since they were also worn.

The laptop powered on and worked fine for 2-3 days until one day I restarted it and yet again it showed only power light and the screen didn't turn on at all so I suspected overheating and tried starting once more after a minute and then it came back only to do the same thing on a second restart ultimately the screen completely stopped coming back and only the power light would show up so the exact same issue came back .

I made another attempt and repeated the thermal paste and cleaning and the laptop started to function normally for 2-3 more days and then suddenly the same cycle of issues appeared ultimately bringing it back to square one. May I know what could be the issue?

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
I have a very old HP G6 2007tx laptop (i5 2450M, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon 7670M 1GB graphics) which was a mid-range beast of its time 9 years ago back in 2012.
Recently I was running it normally one day when it shut down suddenly and then wouldn't turn on, only the power light went on and the wifi light stayed red and the screen went black and won't come up.

So I cleaned the heat sink, changed the fan and re-applied the thermal paste and did overall service and cleaning of the laptop. I also replaced the keyboard and battery since they were also worn.

The laptop powered on and worked fine for 2-3 days until one day I restarted it and yet again it showed only power light and the screen didn't turn on at all so I suspected overheating and tried starting once more after a minute and then it came back only to do the same thing on a second restart ultimately the screen completely stopped coming back and only the power light would show up so the exact same issue came back .

I made another attempt and repeated the thermal paste and cleaning and the laptop started to function normally for 2-3 more days and then suddenly the same cycle of issues appeared ultimately bringing it back to square one. May I know what could be the issue?

do you reinsert ram? If so, try cleaning ram slot. Are you using win 10? Try running linux on it

Nerevarine

Incarnate

can you check if the fan is actually spinning. It could be a power module failure like malfunctioning capacitor. If so, there is no way for you to fix it by yourself.

OP
G

G6Laptop

can you check if the fan is actually spinning. It could be a power module failure like malfunctioning capacitor. If so, there is no way for you to fix it by yourself.
Yes I replaced the fan and its spinning quite well, everything turns on but the screen stays black until I reapply the thermal paste and it works again for 2-3 days only to get back to the same state

Nerevarine

Incarnate
you would need to take it to a technicial who can take a closer look at the board, like i said could be a power module failure or a faulty cap, which would explain it working for a few days and then shutting down.

OP
G

G6Laptop

you would need to take it to a technicial who can take a closer look at the board, like i said could be a power module failure or a faulty cap, which would explain it working for a few days and then shutting down.
Only looking online after the "technical" failed to fix it and just re-assemble it time and again to make money indefinitely.
Time to take it to authorized service center and let them churn some more money out of this old machine's carcass.

123hero

In the zone

Is this a case of the CPU turning on but the screen not turning on ?? I guess its time for the service center to open it up and do the "surgery" :hammer:
:hammer:.

Just in case, also check the connection to the screen and the mother board. I had to throw away my old g6-2301 AX because of an issue in the screen connector. The service center kept telling it was a Mother Board issue and quoting around 5k for the repairs.

Top Bottom