Need help setting up my spare router in wireless bridge mode to extend wifi throughout my home

ack_inc

Right off the assembly line
Hello all,

I'm based in BLR and have an Airtel xstream fiber connection. There are a couple rooms in my house that the wifi signal from my primary router does not reach.

I want to set up my spare router (another Airtel xstream fiber router) in wireless bridge mode to extend the wifi signal from my primary router.

Here are my specific questions:
  1. Do these Airtel xstream fiber routers support wireless bridge mode at all? I poked around their web interface, but couldn't find a relevant option. Would love to hear from someone that has done it.
  2. If these routers don't support wireless bridge mode, should I try installing ddWRT/openWRT on them to get them to support wireless bridging, or should I forget about it and buy a new wireless extender instead? Would also love to hear about other options.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I doubt you'd be able to use the xstream router as an extender, considering that the control panel is almost completely locked down and remotely managed.

Perhaps try getting a stock router, a cheap TP-link one perhaps, and use that as an extender.

aaruni

The Linux Guy
In general, the ISP router that comes with your connection is terrible, and you should always get the lowest tier thing they offer that can still saturate the upstream.

Instead, invest in a router (TP-Link is my brand of choice currently) that plugs into your ISP router via ethernet and provides all the wifi for you. If that doesn't cover your entire house, then get another TP-Link router, and they will mesh together as an option, without using any crazy workarounds. (make sure the first router you buy is also compatible with this meshing technology)

WiFi is something we call "half duplex". Which means a wifi radio can either send signals, or receive signals, but not both at the same time. So when you use a workaround to do repeating, you're sacrificing a lot in terms of both throughput and latency. Things which have native support for this usually have more radios so while each radio can do only one thing, overall the device can still do both simultaneously.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
If these routers don't support wireless bridge mode, should I try installing ddWRT/openWRT on them to get them to support wireless bridging, or should I forget about it and buy a new wireless extender instead? Would also love to hear about other options.
your fiber itself might stop working if you flash this onto airtel router. Get a different router as suggested by @aaruni and use this server as a link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I have similar query, so posting it here (can make new thread if need be).
I want to extend my internet to a floor below without a LAN cable if possible. (My parents would only use it to watch streaming content and no crazy requirement of high speed). So would such device work? *www.amazon.in/TP-Link-TL-WA850RE-300Mbps-Universal-Extender/dp/B00A0VCJPI ?
Internet is there at a floor below but very slow.

Top Bottom