Need help in Home Setup

ishan_kkr

Journeyman
Hello Everyone

I want help in managing my home network.

I have a broadband connection installed of a local vendor having 100 mbps speed. The main room where the router is installed gets the coverage adequately but not the surrounding rooms.

Moreover, I have laid a LAN Cable from this router to a room downstairs (approx 100-120 feet) and connected it to a TP-LINK router (WR840N).

The concern is that in the main room, I do get 100 mbps speed whereas in this connected room downstairs (through LAN Cable) i hardly get 8-9 mbps and the downloading speed never exceeds 1 mbps.

What is the reason for this and what can be done to solve this issue?

Also, what shall I do to extend the coverage in the surrounding rooms upstairs? (I have Tp Link Extender but not of much use)

Kindly help,

Thanks & Regards

More powerful routers helps to improve WiFi signal strength to an extent but extenders of some sort is the best option.

Main router to second router speed - Check the connection speed from LAN wire directly before it connects to 2nd router. Check what speed are you getting. If it is 9Mbps, then might be an issue with the cable.

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Just to add some details

• What is the type of cable CAT5, 5e or 6?
  • Did you buy it thru some local vendor cheap Chinese stuff or did you make one by crimping LAN connectors?
  • A poorly crimped cable may negotiate to just 10 or 100 Mbps even though it is in principle capable of 1 Gbps if supported by the socket & cable.
  • If your router admin panel shows the link speed of connected LAN ports, check what speed it reports on the LAN port from where you extended the cable? Is it 10 or 100 or 1000 Mbps?
  • If your router admin panel does not have such an option try connecting your Windows PC/Laptop to other end and check the link speed thru Windows Network & Internet Settings -> Change Adapter Options -> Ethernet -> Right Click -> Status
  • If possible try making secondary router as primary and check what speed you get when directly frond ending ISP on WiFi. That will eliminate router issues if any.
speed.png

OP
I

ishan_kkr

Journeyman
More powerful routers helps to improve WiFi signal strength to an extent but extenders of some sort is the best option.

Main router to second router speed - Check the connection speed from LAN wire directly before it connects to 2nd router. Check what speed are you getting. If it is 9Mbps, then might be an issue with the cable.

1) TPLINK Deco M4 setup would solve the issues?

2) I directly connected the LAN Cable to the laptop before the 2nd router and here also I am getting speeds of 8 mbps. So, need to replace the cable?

1) TPLINK Deco M4 setup would solve the issues?

2) I directly connected the LAN Cable to the laptop before the 2nd router and here also I am getting speeds of 8 mbps. So, need to replace the cable?
1. Yes - should be a good option - do more research on how mesh routers work - I was personally eyeing M4 for parent's place, but electrician messed up LAN cables that are inside the home, so even if I get 3 mesh routers, I feel it will be far apart, might need 4.

2. Yes - that should be the culprit since you get full speed with LAN in your main router

OP
I

ishan_kkr

Journeyman
1. Yes - should be a good option - do more research on how mesh routers work - I was personally eyeing M4 for parent's place, but electrician messed up LAN cables that are inside the home, so even if I get 3 mesh routers, I feel it will be far apart, might need 4.

2. Yes - that should be the culprit since you get full speed with LAN in your main router

Any recommendation for the LAN Cable? This one I am using is CAT 5, locally crimped by the broadband provider guy

Top Bottom