Need Help in deciding btw these lappies

zmarydr

Broken In
Ok, so after much research i've narrowed my choices to

1.Lenovo IdeaPad Z510 (59-398016) Laptop (4th Gen Ci7/ 8GB/ 1TB 8GB SSD/ Win8.1/ 2GB Graph) Rs.60490 Price in India - Buy Lenovo IdeaPad Z510 (59-398016) Laptop (4th Gen Ci7/ 8GB/ 1TB 8GB SSD/ Win8.1/ 2GB Graph) Dark Chocolate Online - Lenovo: Flipkart

2.Dell Inspiron 15R 5537 Laptop (4th Gen Ci7/ 8GB/ 1TB/ Win8/ 2GB Graph) Rs.62500 Price in India - Buy Dell Inspiron 15R 5537 Laptop (4th Gen Ci7/ 8GB/ 1TB/ Win8/ 2GB Graph) Moon Sliver Online - Dell: Flipkart.com

3. HP Envy 15-j110TX Laptop (4th Gen Ci5/ 8GB/ 1 TB/ Win8.1/ 2GB Graph) Rs.64290 Price in India - Buy HP Envy 15-j110TX Laptop (4th Gen Ci5/ 8GB/ 1 TB/ Win8.1/ 2GB Graph) Glass Fiber With Silky Soft Touch Aluminium Finish Natural Silver Online - HP: Fli

So guys plzzz help me choose one from these. I'm totally cofused here.

$hadow

Geek in making
It would have been better if a questionnaire would have been included in this. Please fill the questionnaire first.

OP
Z

zmarydr

Broken In
1) What is your budget?
60000 INR-65000 INR

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?

Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

3) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
Movies,Development, Mid-level Gaming

4) Any typical configuration in your mind you're eying for ?
4th gen Core i5 or 4th gen Core i7 , 8GB of RAM,1TB HDD

5) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like: HP, Dell,Lenovo
b. Dislike:Sony , Acer

6) Anything else you would like to say?
Given my usage as stated above, would 8b of ram be sufficent for the furture years, say like for tne next two years?. I'm asking this because i noticed both Dell n Lenovo laptops allow RAM expansion only upto 8GB, while the HP one allows upto 16GB.
And also would the Lenovo Z510 would be battery efficent since it has Core 17 processor while being equipped only with a 4 cell battery.

OP
Z

zmarydr

Broken In
Check out y500 and tell me what do you think about it. I

Had considered it but since it has an older processor and is unavailable for purchase at the stores near me, i ruled it out. Even Lenovo's DoStore dosen't feature it now, i guess they have stopped the production eh. Btw if someonez considering Y500 , i would say Y510p would be much better choice since the price diff isn't much and u get latest processor.

OP
Z

zmarydr

Broken In
@OP, from the laptops you listed Z510 is the best considering it has i7 Mobile version & an anti glare screen

But as i asked earlire, since it allows expansion only upto 8 gb RAM, would it be enough for the next 1-2 years for my kind of medium level usage as i packs an i7 M processor??...

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Had considered it but since it has an older processor and is unavailable for purchase at the stores near me, i ruled it out. Even Lenovo's DoStore dosen't feature it now, i guess they have stopped the production eh. Btw if someonez considering Y500 , i would say Y510p would be much better choice since the price diff isn't much and u get latest processor.

o_O
Price difference is at least 10k.

Both Haswell and Ivy Bridge have the same architecture just Haswell is more power efficient.
A quad core i7 is a beast no matter which model it is.

OP
Z

zmarydr

Broken In
So guys, i've half a mind to go for the Z510.The only doubt is whether 8gb of RAM be enough for it for surviving the coming year or another.Can somebody please confirm whether itz RAM could be expanded to 16GB or not. Plzzz hurry up coz i need to take a decision very soon.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
do you even use huge amounts of ram regularly to ask this question?for example i have 4gb ram & i frequently open around 100 tabs in firefox browser(with noscript & adblock plus addon) while playing HD video in movie player software & still i manage with ~70% ram usage.to feel 8gb ram insufficient you have to be even more demanding.unless you are running multiple virtual machines+HD video+50 tabs in chrome/IE with flash video games/video sites etc you won't even use 6gb of ram in next 4 years.

So guys, i've half a mind to go for the Z510.The only doubt is whether 8gb of RAM be enough for it for surviving the coming year or another.Can somebody please confirm whether itz RAM could be expanded to 16GB or not. Plzzz hurry up coz i need to take a decision very soon.

Currently only few games like NFS Rivals, have incresed min. RAM required to 6GB. So 8GB is fine for next 2 years atleast. I'm also sure that it should support 16GB RAM. When your laptop arrives check if it has a free RAM slot, using CPUZ (my laptop has 8GB RAM with one free slot)

Top Bottom