Need help in buying refrigerator

khalil1210

In the zone
I am looking to buy a new fridge. Please help me decide.

Capacity - around 250 L
Double Door
Frost Free
Digital Inverter
Convertible ( Does this help in energy consumption in a long run, I feel that my family would use this feature as we have milk daily in freezer )

I am interested in the following models
253L frost free non convertible RT28A3453S8 (Flipkart) at effective price of 19490 = 23,490 ( offer price ) - 2500 ( exchange old Godrej fridge ) - 1500 ( Flipkart coins )
253L frost free convertible RT28T3743S8/HL (Flipkart) at effective price of 22890 = 26,390 ( offer price ) - 2500 ( exchange old Godrej fridge ) - 1000 ( Flipkart coins )

I feel 23k for above model is good price. should I buy it or wait for big billion sale or great indian sale or should I buy offline. I live in Hyderabad.

I was also looking at 345L RT37A4513BX/HL frost free and convertible, but it is around 10k more, Is it a good idea to spend 10k more for 100L

Has anyone bought from the seller Akshnav Online on flipkart. Most of the fridges, they are the seller but they are relatively new ( 1.5 years )

quicky008

Technomancer
it will be better to buy large appliances like a refrigerator from an electronics shop in your neighbourhood rather than buying it online-that way you can physically check everything and make sure it has all the features you need before purchase.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
I have this same Samsung RT28A3453S8 model and its excellent. Been using it for around 2yrs now. Had bought from Amazon in exchange of my old Godrej fridge (which lasted around 25 yrs)

for Big families though this is small.

OP
khalil1210

khalil1210

In the zone
Thanks for the suggestion guys. will go to store and check. When seeing in person, I think i will get a idea how it compares to my old fridge

quicky008

Technomancer
The problem with modern refrigerators is that they no longer have the condenser coils (required for cooling) installed at their rear sides, instead its built into their bodies. This makes them non repairable for all intents and purposes in case the in built coil ever goes bad.

We had a 230 liter Samsung fridge that was purchased in 2011-it lasted till 2018,at which point the cooling function stopped working completely. Samsung's technician came to our place and said after examining the fridge that its condenser is damaged and its not possible to repair it-so he suggested we discard the refrigerator (merely 7 years old at the time ) and get a new one instead!

Disappointed, i contacted their customer service helpline once again only to be told that they provide no services whatsoever for refrigerators like ours with damaged or malfunctioning condenser as those cannot be repaired!

After that we bought a simple lg refrigerator of lower capacity with an external condenser, atleast that provides you an option for repairability in case it ever goes bad, thereby preventing you from getting a new refrigerator altogether!

This is something one should bear in mind while shopping for a new refrigerator.

OP
khalil1210

khalil1210

In the zone
thanks for the heads up @quicky008

I thought that condenser will be in back side
in the part where it is open
images (1) (1).jpeg

After that we bought a simple lg refrigerator of lower capacity with an external condenser
Do you mean the one which comes with Direct cooling without a invertor cooling model? I always feel it is unsafe to have external rods from fridge.

quicky008

Technomancer
the one that we have now advertises having something called smart inverter compressor-not sure what that means though.

The photo that you have posted is that of a samsung fridge with condenser coils built into it-hence its not fitted with any external condenser(which are usually found at their rear ends).The rear side of this fridge appears to be completely blank.

quicky008

Technomancer
compressor is the black cylindrical object mounted at the bottom part (at the rear side) of all refrigerators,whereas condenser essentially is a coil like structure that can be found at the rear end of certain refrigerators that aids in the process of cooling (in newer models its typically built into the body of the fridge itself,and no external condenser can be seen at the rear end).

refer to attached image for details.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-10-02 193604.png
    Screenshot 2021-10-02 193604.png
    155.5 KB · Views: 123
Top Bottom