Need Help Deleting Earlier PPOE Dialer and create a New Dialer in my Laptop?

vishk

Journeyman
Hi Guys,

I have a question about setting up a PPOE dialler on my laptop, right now the internet connection in my home is set up in the following way, Internet fibre cable comes in and gets connected to ONU XPON converter from there the cable gets connected to the WAN port in the TP-Link Router, so I have currently set up the PPOE dialer in the ONU Converter and the converter right now is acting as an Router and used to dial to connect to the Internet using my ID password given by the ISP.

Now I want to delete the dialler from the ONU converter and create a dialler in my laptop there is a reason why I want it in my laptop, so to have a dialler in my laptop what do I need to do ? First reset the ONU and erase the earlier settings and then create a dialler in the laptop? if yes, will it require any IP address to be put into the dialler other than my user ID and password. Can somebody please help me with this?

Thanks.

patkim

Cyborg Agent
The procedure that I am aware of is to put the ISP ONU/ONT in Bridge Mode. If the ONU has multiple ports you specify in Bridge which port to bind.
From that port take out LAN cable and plug it into the Ethernet port of your Laptop.
Assuming you have Windows, go to Network & Internet settings select Dial Up and create a PPPoE connection.

View attachment pppoe1.png

View attachment pppoe2.png

Few things to consider.
Are you currently not dialing from the TP Link Router?
Who is your ISP? Some ISPs may deploy MAC Id authentication. If the MAC id of Laptop is not registered, the connection won't go thru. So check with the ISP what is their procedure. When I was on Youbroadband, in my account I was allowed to specify up to 2 MAC Ids for authentication.

OP
V

vishk

Journeyman
Are you currently not dialing from the TP Link Router?
Who is your ISP? Some ISPs may deploy MAC Id authentication. If the MAC id of Laptop is not registered, the connection won't go thru. So check with the ISP what is their procedure. When I was on Youbroadband, in my account I was allowed to specify up to 2 MAC Ids for authentication.

Great Question. TP-Link Router has given me lot of problems. When I purchased this Router I wanted it to have the PPOE dialler in the router itself but the connection didn't go through no matter what i did? Some even suggested you need to mention the Mac Address of your earlier device in the Router. But when I checked with the ISP provider he says that he has kept Mac address free he has kept it 0 even after that the router directly would not get connected to the Internet in PPOE mode hence we have made the dialler in the ONU and using Router as an extender which h is what I want to change!!

Now TP,-Link support is saying if creating a direct dialer in the Router is not getting connected to that internet you will have to create the dialer first in the Laptop once the dialer gets connected in your Laptop it will create a Mac address try putting that MaC in the Router and see then does it work?

What do you think am I on the right track?

Last edited:

patkim

Cyborg Agent
As far as I know, you can establish dial-up PPPoE from only one of the devices. If you are already doing it in the ONU/ONT then before you can initiate dialup PPPoE from another device after that ONU/ONT, then the ONU/ONT must be put into Bridge Mode.

Once it's in Bridge it's going to passively pass the job of PPPoE dialup on to the next device (be it your own router or Laptop).
If your ISP does not deploy MAC Id auth, no changes in MAC are needed.

If you do not know how to put ONT in Bridge contact your ISP. The technician can help.
If your ONU/ONT is not locked, you may be able to do it yourself. After you go into web interface, check the connection options, they would be Routing and Bridge.
Select Bridge, if applicable specify the VLAN id. Note down all settings before you modify so that you can revert back if required.

Major ISPs like Airtel , Tata Fiber etc have locked ONT Router, but their backend team enables Bridge mode on one of the LAN ports if requested by the user.

Last edited:
OP
V

vishk

Journeyman
As far as I know, you can establish dial-up PPPoE from only one of the devices. If you are already doing it in the ONU/ONT then before you can initiate dialup PPPoE from another device after that ONU/ONT, then the ONU/ONT must be put into Bridge Mode.

Once it's in Bridge it's going to passively pass the job of PPPoE dialup on to the next device (be it your own router or Laptop).
If your ISP does not deploy MAC Id auth, no changes in MAC are needed.

If you do not know how to put ONT in Bridge contact your ISP. The technician can help.
If your ONU/ONT is not locked, you may be able to do it yourself. After you go into web interface, check the connection options, they would be Routing and Bridge.
Select Bridge, if applicable specify the VLAN id. Note down all settings before you modify so that you can revert back if required.

Major ISPs like Airtel , Tata Fiber etc have locked ONT Router, but their backend team enables Bridge mode on one of the LAN ports if requested by the user.

I will delete the PPOE from the ONU by Resetting it. And then create the new PPOE on the Laptop

patkim

Cyborg Agent
I do not know if that will work. The method I know is to put the ISP ONT in Bridge and Bind it to a LAN Port.
Then connect LAN cable from that port to WAN of router and establish PPPoE on router.

That's how it works at my end.
Please share screenshots of your ONU/ONTs web interface.

OP
V

vishk

Journeyman
I do not know if that will work. The method I know is to put the ISP ONT in Bridge and Bind it to a LAN Port.
Then connect LAN cable from that port to WAN of router and establish PPPoE on router.

That's how it works at my end.
Please share screenshots of your ONU/ONTs web interface.

So when you have the ONT in Bridge Mode ? The PPOE runs on Router and not on the ISP ONT ?

Top Bottom