Need an opinion

amitab_das

Broken In
1) What is your budget? Rs 58,000 strict. Because I only have that much with me :p

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?

Thin and Light; 12" - 14" screen
Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

3) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
Programming, Photoshop, Internet, Movies and some med gaming (counter strike, dota and such)

5) Any typical configuration in your mind you're eying for ?
Laptops with haswell processors. Ofcourse a good i5 3rd gen or i7 3rd gen would be fine too.
Also Ill be running linux. So no AMD Graphic cards. Infact no discreet graphics would be great.

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like: Asus, Lenovo, Dell, Hp (Order in preference)
b. Dislike: Acer

6) Anything else you would like to say?
Screen resolution : >= 768p (Doesnt really matter)
Battery back up : normal (3-4hrs)
Purchase place : I live in bangalore and would prefer to purchase it here. Dont mind buying online either.

I have a a few laptops in mind :

1. Dell 4th gen Inspiron series
2. HP Envy 4-1046TX
3. Lenovo Essential G500s

Also are there any Asus laptops 4th gen in the Indian market?

sandeepsingh

Broken In
well drop all your choices. close your eyes and get .......
Lenovo Ideapad Z500 (59-380463) Laptop (3rd Gen Ci5/ 6GB/ 1TB/ Win8/ 2GB Graph)

Try to find Samsung NP550P5C S05IN for 58k locally... It's the best in that price range, 900p display, subwoofer, blu ray drive.....

Dell Inspiron 15 Laptop (4th Gen Ci7/ 8GB/ 1TB/ Win8/ 2GB Graph) vs Samsung NP550P5C-S06IN Laptop (3rd Gen Ci5/ 6GB/ 1TB/ Win8/ 2GB Graph) vs Samsung NP550P5C-S05IN Laptop (3rd Gen Ci7/ 8GB/ 1TB/ Win8/ 2GB Graph): Compare Computers: Flipkart.com

Try to get S05,otherwise buy S06IN of Samsung (easily available for less than 58k)...... The Dell one is also good if u have trust issues with Samsung laptops (they have service centres all over India, don't worry)

A year ago, my friend installed Ubuntu in his laptop & it was hot..... I mean laptop's temperature was high, above 70C maybe....

Last edited:
OP
A

amitab_das

Broken In
Try to find Samsung NP550P5C S05IN for 58k locally... It's the best in that price range, 900p display, subwoofer, blu ray drive.....

Dell Inspiron 15 Laptop (4th Gen Ci7/ 8GB/ 1TB/ Win8/ 2GB Graph) vs Samsung NP550P5C-S06IN Laptop (3rd Gen Ci5/ 6GB/ 1TB/ Win8/ 2GB Graph) vs Samsung NP550P5C-S05IN Laptop (3rd Gen Ci7/ 8GB/ 1TB/ Win8/ 2GB Graph): Compare Computers: Flipkart.com

Try to get S05,otherwise buy S06IN of Samsung (easily available for less than 58k)...... The Dell one is also good if u have trust issues with Samsung laptops (they have service centres all over India, don't worry)

A year ago, my friend installed Ubuntu in his laptop & it was hot..... I mean laptop's temperature was high, above 70C maybe....

The Samsung laptop looks interesting.. but I've never known anyone personally who uses a samsung laptop. Can you point me to a review of this laptop?

Which laptop did your friend install ubuntu in?
This heating problem is the main reason I want a non AMD graphic card laptop. I m currently using HP G6 2006tx with AMD 7670 and idle temp is 70 degrees!

$hadow

Geek in making
Try your local market for Samsung series 5 so5in. They are still available in the local market around 57 or 58k. Search for it and you will find your buy a good one.

OP
A

amitab_das

Broken In
Try your local market for Samsung series 5 so5in. They are still available in the local market around 57 or 58k. Search for it and you will find your buy a good one.

Are Samsung laptops really good? I'm only asking because none of my friends ever had samsung. Has anyone posted a review of this laptop anywhere on this forum?

Also how does it behave with linux? Heating issues?

aaruni

The Linux Guy
1)
5) Any typical configuration in your mind you're eying for ?
Laptops with haswell processors. Ofcourse a good i5 3rd gen or i7 3rd gen would be fine too.
Also Ill be running linux. So no AMD Graphic cards. Infact no discreet graphics would be great.

I don't get this one point. No dedicated card because wanting to run linux ?

BTW, a great place to buy such stuff in B'lore is Brigade Road.

OP
A

amitab_das

Broken In
I don't get this one point. No dedicated card because wanting to run linux ?

BTW, a great place to buy such stuff in B'lore is Brigade Road.

I have a laptop right now : HP G6 2006tx with AMD 7670. Seems like linux just doesnt like it. Idle temp is around 70 degrees. Also many of my friends with AMD complain about this same issue. So yeah.. No graphics :cry: but anyways I play stuff like counter strike and that will run no problem on integrated graphics :-D

i72600k

The Physicist!
Please refer this page
*www.thinkdigit.com/Laptops-PCs/15-Best-Affordable-Gaming-Laptops-under-Rs_17934.html

If you can find Samsung np550p5c - so5in or so6in, get it ASAP, because they have been discontinued and you are lucky if you find one.

As per the above thread, I would rank the laptops as following
1) Samsung np550 p5c-so5in/so6in
2) HP Envy 15 J049-tx
2) Lenovo Z500

Last edited:

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a laptop right now : HP G6 2006tx with AMD 7670. Seems like linux just doesnt like it. Idle temp is around 70 degrees. Also many of my friends with AMD complain about this same issue. So yeah.. No graphics :cry: but anyways I play stuff like counter strike and that will run no problem on integrated graphics :-D
In Linux, we didn't have Dynamic Power Management (DPM) in the AMD open-source driver. Now we have this in Kernel 3.11 + Mesa 9.2. So, with the open-source AMD drivers, all AMD GPUs run cool now.

anyway, I prefer to blacklist laptop discerete GPUs in Linux. Whether using AMD or nVidia. Waste of energy and Intel built-in runs fine in Linux.

aaruni

The Linux Guy
I have HP Pavillion G6 2303-tx with Radeon HD 7670, and idle temps in linux are around 40 C . I use the proprietary driver and use the powerexpress to switch b/w intel hd and radeon hd when required.

in linux, intel HD doesn't seem to provide 3d capabilities, and even DOTA 2 refuses to run on 1366X768 resolution.

OP
A

amitab_das

Broken In
Please refer this page
*www.thinkdigit.com/Laptops-PCs/15-Best-Affordable-Gaming-Laptops-under-Rs_17934.html

If you can find Samsung np550p5c - so5in or so6in, get it ASAP, because they have been discontinued and you are lucky if you find one.

As per the above thread, I would rank the laptops as following
1) Samsung np550 p5c-so5in/so6in
2) HP Envy 15 J049-tx
2) Lenovo Z500

Where does the 4th generation dell stand among these ?

In Linux, we didn't have Dynamic Power Management (DPM) in the AMD open-source driver. Now we have this in Kernel 3.11 + Mesa 9.2. So, with the open-source AMD drivers, all AMD GPUs run cool now.

anyway, I prefer to blacklist laptop discerete GPUs in Linux. Whether using AMD or nVidia. Waste of energy and Intel built-in runs fine in Linux.

Can you tell me how to blacklist the discreet gpu? If that works out ill probably buy a laptop with discreete gpu after all :-D

I have HP Pavillion G6 2303-tx with Radeon HD 7670, and idle temps in linux are around 40 C . I use the proprietary driver and use the powerexpress to switch b/w intel hd and radeon hd when required.

in linux, intel HD doesn't seem to provide 3d capabilities, and even DOTA 2 refuses to run on 1366X768 resolution.

How about the intel 4400 and 4600 of the 4th gen processors? Heard they now support DirectX 11.1, OpenCL 1.2 and OpenGL 4.0. ( according to notebookcheck ). I think DOTA 2 will run well on these

Top Bottom