need an am2+ motherboard for phenom x4 9850 BE and a PSU if thats required

Aerrow

Journeyman
Hi all,

Can anyone suggest me a supported motherboard for amd phenom x4 9850 Black Edition... the existing motherboard is an M3N H/HDMI which is fried up... I have recently purchased a new laptop and is short of funds to upgrade my whole pc... i am home once or twice in a month so i would be gaming on ma laptop so performance is not a concern... i wud like a mobo that can run on stock settings for continuous usage as i wud be using my desktop for downloads... also suggest me if a psu upgrade is necessary as its running on a 450W desi one... funds is a concern here so pls suggest accordingly... i might add a mid range gpu in abt 6 months if thats okay...

thanks for reading... expecting help from everybody...

thanks sam for initial heads up... :)

acewin

Point Blanc
Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 Motherboard vs ASUS M5A97 Motherboard vs Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 Motherboard vs Biostar TA990FXE Motherboard: Compare Motherboards: Flipkart.com
ASUS M5A88-M-EVO Motherboard vs Biostar TA990FXE Motherboard vs ASUS M5A88-V-EVO Motherboard vs Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 Motherboard: Compare Motherboards: Flipkart.com

These are a few boards which would be good for you.
AM3+ chipset boards which would be compatible for the proccy
Get decent PSU like corsair VS450 priced @2500~

and yeah PSU upgrade is necessary to run more load for longer duration. and adding GFX card

ok 880G chipset boards are not advisable purchase, go for 970 chipset boards. or 990 chipset boards.

*www.flipkart.com/motherboards/compare?ids=MBDDD4B3SJXHHMSR,MBDDD4B3ZDGNPMER,MBDD9UR4KBGC5FGZ

added AsRock boards as well, which are pretty good in features

also go through this thread *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/pc-compon...64374-suggestions-am3-motherboard-fx8120.html
you may get some better idea.

aloodum

Journeyman
^^ the OP has a AM2+ CPU..that wont on the any of the boards suggested.All newer boards are Am3/Am3+ compliant.

IIRC AM2+ cpus can only support til ddr2-1066 while am3 cpu's brought the ddr3 support owing to the limitation of the memory controller.
Instead you can operate an am3 cpu on am2+ againg for the same reason.Thats why you see makers like Arock having ddr3 + ddr2 on their Am2+ mobos..that ddr3 is for am3 cpus (which can also use ddr2)

The main problem for you will be getting an AM2+ mobo with 125W TDP support...your older gen phenom is a power guzzler.Do not pair it up with mobos designed to run lower powered cpus ...

OP
Aerrow

Aerrow

Journeyman
Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 Motherboard vs ASUS M5A97 Motherboard vs Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 Motherboard vs Biostar TA990FXE Motherboard: Compare Motherboards: Flipkart.com
ASUS M5A88-M-EVO Motherboard vs Biostar TA990FXE Motherboard vs ASUS M5A88-V-EVO Motherboard vs Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 Motherboard: Compare Motherboards: Flipkart.com

and yeah PSU upgrade is necessary to run more load for longer duration. and adding GFX card

ok 880G chipset boards are not advisable purchase, go for 970 chipset boards. or 990 chipset boards.

*www.flipkart.com/motherboards/compare?ids=MBDDD4B3SJXHHMSR,MBDDD4B3ZDGNPMER,MBDD9UR4KBGC5FGZ

also go through this thread *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/pc-compon...64374-suggestions-am3-motherboard-fx8120.html

Thank u for replying. So, all the motherboards in the list would work fine?

OP
Aerrow

Aerrow

Journeyman

I will also add a psu. :)

OP
Aerrow

Aerrow

Journeyman
^^ the OP has a AM2+ CPU..that wont on the any of the boards suggested.All newer boards are Am3/Am3+ compliant.

IIRC AM2+ cpus can only support til ddr2-1066 while am3 cpu's brought the ddr3 support owing to the limitation of the memory controller.
Instead you can operate an am3 cpu on am2+ againg for the same reason.Thats why you see makers like Arock having ddr3 + ddr2 on their Am2+ mobos..that ddr3 is for am3 cpus (which can also use ddr2)

The main problem for you will be getting an AM2+ mobo with 125W TDP support...your older gen phenom is a power guzzler.Do not pair it up with mobos designed to run lower powered cpus ...

Er, now that is sad. I thought a few mobos would be backward compatible. Ru sure about this? DoeS this mean no motherboards are available?:confused:

aloodum

Journeyman
lolz that is the sad case...you can try for used peripheral on this forum itself..there is a want to buy section..or else pester your local dealers to source AM2+ mobos

acewin

Point Blanc
look in local market as well. its like you can only take what you get. and there are only one or two boards available now with AM2 or AM2+

aloodum

Journeyman
@Aerrow: I assume you want to continue using the pc as a download rig, re-using whatevering componets you can to reduce the price.
In this scenario i highly advise againt running that power guzzler that too on a local psu, which i assume has done 4 years of service.
Secondly even if you get a new am2+ mobo with 125W supp, it would not come dirt cheap.. i assume figures upward of 3000 minimum

What if you sold off your existing cpu and ddr2 rams ? say you manage 3-3.5k on it...thats gives you a combined 6-6.5k budget - minimum!!
With that budget you`ll be getting the likes of a sandybridge based g630+h61 chipset mobo+ 2 gb ddr3 value modules at around (3.2k+3k+0.6k)~6.8k
And the so efficient that it actually beats the single core semprons in idle to low cpu usage parameters:exactly the scenario you are looking forward too.And best part its the reccomended low budget gaming cpu-that speaks volumes about its performance capability.

Another alternative is putting a sempron 145 and a 760g board+2gb ram ~ 2k+2.5+0.6~ 5.1k.
Use the remaining amount to invest a branded cpu ...(i guess fsp has some in the sub 2k category)

Do give a thought in this department.

OP
Aerrow

Aerrow

Journeyman
@Aerrow: I assume you want to continue using the pc as a download rig, re-using whatevering componets you can to reduce the price.
In this scenario i highly advise againt running that power guzzler that too on a local psu, which i assume has done 4 years of service.
Secondly even if you get a new am2+ mobo with 125W supp, it would not come dirt cheap.. i assume figures upward of 3000 minimum

What if you sold off your existing cpu and ddr2 rams ? say you manage 3-3.5k on it...thats gives you a combined 6-6.5k budget - minimum!!
With that budget you`ll be getting the likes of a sandybridge based g630+h61 chipset mobo+ 2 gb ddr3 value modules at around (3.2k+3k+0.6k)~6.8k
And the so efficient that it actually beats the single core semprons in idle to low cpu usage parameters:exactly the scenario you are looking forward too.And best part its the reccomended low budget gaming cpu-that speaks volumes about its performance capability.

Another alternative is putting a sempron 145 and a 760g board+2gb ram ~ 2k+2.5+0.6~ 5.1k.
Use the remaining amount to invest a branded cpu ...(i guess fsp has some in the sub 2k category)

Do give a thought in this department.

Thank u for the suggestion. I will check for any takers Obama the cpu and ram... :)

Top Bottom