Need advise on Multipurpose Laptop, budget appx. 50k

melt

Broken In
1) What is your budget? 50k INR (+/- 10%)

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?

• Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

3) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
MS Office, eBooks reading, heavy Internet Browsing, watching HD movies, connecting the laptop to HDTV for watching HD movies, Gaming(I haven’t played any games for a while now, but would like to play some of latest and forthcoming games at least in medium settings).

5) Any typical configuration in your mind you're eying for ?
Minimum 4th gen i5. Decent Graphics card (Integrated+External).

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?

I like Lenovo. Though I am open for suggestions on other brands as well.

6) Anything else you would like to say?

• Screen resolution ( 768p (HD) / 900p / 1080p (Full HD) ) HD is required.
• Battery back up ( normal (3-4hrs) )
• Purchase place ( Online (eg - flipkart, infibeam) / Local) I don’t know about this one. Lenovo advertise on their website that online retailers are not authorized resellers, which may void warranty. I prefer to purchase from Local authorized store.
• Backlit keyboard is required.

• I visited Lenovo store and was suggested Z510 with backlit keyboard. With 4th gen i5 they had 2 latest models-

IdeaPad Z510 (with hybrid drive & back lit keyboard) - Ideapad - Laptops | Lenovo India | The DO Store (Final price quoted 52k)

IdeaPad Z510 (with hybrid drive & back lit keyboard) - Ideapad - Laptops | Lenovo India | The DO Store (Final price quoted 47.xx k)

I need to keep the laptop for at least 2-3 years. Would it make sense to go with the i7 model
IdeaPad Z510 (with hybrid drive & back lit keyboard) - Ideapad - Laptops | Lenovo India | The DO Store (Didn’t enquire about final price, but should be in 55-56k range)
Any other Laptop I might be missing out on?
If I ignore the backlit keyboard requirement, then would following laptop suffice my other requirements:
Lenovo Essential G510 (59-382843) Laptop (4th Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 500GB/ DOS/ 2GB Graph) Rs.40500 Price in India - Buy Lenovo Essential G510 (59-382843) Laptop (4th Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 500GB/ DOS/ 2GB Graph) Black Online - Lenovo: Flipkart.com

Lenovo Essential G510 (59-398452) Laptop (4th Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 500GB/ Win8/ 2GB Graph) Rs.41555 Price in India - Buy Lenovo Essential G510 (59-398452) Laptop (4th Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 500GB/ Win8/ 2GB Graph) Black Online - Lenovo: Flipkart.com

I plan to make purchase in 1st week of April. I need to know if there is any other choice available in my budget and requirements.
I am not in sync with the latest news/updates in technology world. Is there any new technology coming up in recent future which is worth waiting, considering I’ll be keeping the laptop for at least 2-3 years.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
core i7 U is equal to core i5M.
core i7U uses less power than core i5M.
core i5M consumes equal power as core i7 4702MQ.
core i7 4700MQ and upwards use more power

OP
M

melt

Broken In
Hello Guys,

Unfortunately my budget has come down to 30k(+/-10%).

For all the usage/tasks mentioned in 1st post, which laptop would you best suggest in this price range?

Also, please suggest if any of below Laptops are good enough:

Asus X550CC-XO072D Laptop (3rd Gen Ci3/ 4GB/ 500GB/ DOS/ 2GB Graph) Rs.33250 Price in India - Buy Asus X550CC-XO072D Laptop (3rd Gen Ci3/ 4GB/ 500GB/ DOS/ 2GB Graph) Dark Gray Online - Asus: Flipkart.com

Lenovo Essential G505s (59-379987) Laptop (APU Quad Core A8/ 4GB/ 1TB/ Win8/ 2GB Graph) Rs.33290 Price in India - Buy Lenovo Essential G505s (59-379987) Laptop (APU Quad Core A8/ 4GB/ 1TB/ Win8/ 2GB Graph) Black Online - Lenovo: Flipkart.com

Toshiba Satellite Satellite Satellite C50-A Laptop Rs.31568 Price in India - Buy Toshiba Satellite Satellite Satellite C50-A Laptop Premium Shining Silver Online - Toshiba: Flipkart.com

I checked out the Asus one in the store, build quality looked decent, but could not check out it's functioning as it was no-OS/dos machine.

Any other model you can suggest in this price range please tell.

OP
M

melt

Broken In
Best in this range.
NP300E5V-S02IN - OVERVIEW | SAMSUNG India

Samsung still holds a good place with that laptop. You should check it out.

Samsung is good for budget range.

I was checking reviews online, though most are saying positives about the laptop, does it make any difference that this laptop was launched almost an year ago?

The Asus model (Asus X550CC-XO072D)which I checked out looks good aesthetically, and was launched about 3 months ago. Does it's configuration raises any alarm for the price range, and in comparison with the Samsung NP300E5V-S02IN?

Comparison:

Asus X550CC-XO072D Laptop (3rd Gen Ci3/ 4GB/ 500GB/ DOS/ 2GB Graph) vs Samsung NP300E5V-S02IN Laptop (3rd Gen Ci3/ 4GB/ 750GB/ DOS/ 1GB Graph): Compare Computers: Flipkart.com

I want to try Asus laptop once, any reason I should not go for it (poor quality, service, bad experience of other users, etc?).

I want to keep the laptop for at least 2-3 years, if not more.

Edit:

Should I add the following laptop in the mix:

*www.flipkart.com/lenovo-essential-...i3-4gb-500gb-dos-2gb-graph/p/itmdmwrcqwwtgscd

It does not show on lenovo Do Store. Does that mean it is discontinued/obsolete now?

Last edited:

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Samsung is the best in terms of specs and Asus is the worst.
Lenovo and Asus ones are too weak to run games. Samsung still offers quite a punch.

OP
M

melt

Broken In
Samsung is the best in terms of specs and Asus is the worst.
Lenovo and Asus ones are too weak to run games. Samsung still offers quite a punch.

Samsung has 1gb graphics card as compared to Asus one having 2 GB.

Also, the i3 on Samsung doesn't even support USB 3 as compared to i3 on Asus which does.

Can you explain how is samsung best and Asus worst.

rohitshubham

Ambassador of Buzz
Samsung has 1gb graphics card as compared to Asus one having 2 GB.

Also, the i3 on Samsung doesn't even support USB 3 as compared to i3 on Asus which does.

Can you explain how is samsung best and Asus worst.
Lets see.
Advantages of samsung:
1. better CPU.(Mobility processor vs ULV)
2. more HDD.
3. Maybe better battery backup coz of 6cell battery compared to 4cell on asus one.
4. better GPU. the video memory does not matter unless you are playing games on ultra high resolution or on multiple monitors. the presence of 2gb of video memory will not give any significant boost to the gaming performance of the notebook.
CONS:
1. Lack of USB 3.0 port
2. Lack of Gigabit Ethernet port rather it has 100mbit port.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
The quality of graphics card does not depend upon the amount on dedicated memory it has. It depends on the no. of shaders, frequency at which they are running and the architecture. This can be determined by the graphic card model no.

Samsung has AMD Radeon™ HD 8750M.
It's very powerful for this budget and will give the performance of 50k laptops. This card is comparable to Nvidia GT 740m. This is strong.

Lenovo has AMD 8570M.
It's very weak as compared to AMD 8750M(check last 3 digit to get a relative idea of performance).

Asus has GT 720M(check the last 2 digits in case of Nvidia to get a relative idea of performance). This card is comparable to AMD 8570m and is very weak.

What makes the ASUS even more bad is the inclusion of an U processor. Processors with U at their end are very bad and provide nearly half performance of processors with M at the end.
Lenovo and Samsung have standard core i3M processors.

OP
M

melt

Broken In
Thanks seamon and rohitshubham for detailed explanation. So i understand from above that the best bang for buck in my meagre budget is the Samsung model. Since it is launched almost a year back, can we expect a newer model/version to come up in near future? Or I should just buy this one regardless?

I should get good discounts on this laptop supposedly, as not many people buy Samsung for laptops, and considering this model is already in the market for quite some time now.

rohitshubham

Ambassador of Buzz
Thanks seamon and rohitshubham for detailed explanation. So i understand from above that the best bang for buck in my meagre budget is the Samsung model. Since it is launched almost a year back, can we expect a newer model/version to come up in near future? Or I should just buy this one regardless?

I should get good discounts on this laptop supposedly, as not many people buy Samsung for laptops, and considering this model is already in the market for quite some time now.
yes, bargain heavily... i have seen great variations in the prices of same model within a city(almost 2k)

Top Bottom