Need Advice on buying 49 inch OR 50 inch television

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
My Mi TV arrived. Picture quality is great, but can't recommend due to dumb dumb smart tv features. It takes a minute to start. Does not have standby option, but a hard to reach 'no display' option, during which the sound keep coming. In short: turning the TV on and off is a pain in the ass! How could they screw such a basic thing! Also changing input from TV interface to HDMi is extremely cumbersome. Patchwall UI isn't customizable at all.

OP
sandynator

sandynator

Cyborg Agent
Well, I got the delivery of my Philips tv on Friday & was installed on Saturday.

Overall a decent buy for what I paid.

I still remember what Mr. Arun Menon country head of Audio & Video division, said during launch event in November 2018 that it will be no more budget brand and will be priced on par with biggies like LG & Samsung.

I did not had opportunity to compare Philips 50 inches tv with its competition but I feel quality of panel is poor if compared to Samsung's NU7100 VA Panel.
Less brightness 250 nits compared to 350 nits(read it somewhere) while poor contrast ratio which I did not expected.
Not at all to their UK and European standards as they quoted in marketing and promotional activities.

As mentioned for a retail price of 60k for 50 inches tv it's not at all worth in my opinion. Samsung may offer better VA panel for few more thousands if not for same price.

Good for FHD and 4k online content streaming, even 720p is quite good and watchable.
Connected tata sky hd box on HDMI 1 port which is mix bag may be now I am watching on bigger display.
Colours may not pop out much due to poor contrast.

Official licensed app
Netflix
YouTube
Amazon prime
Eros Now

Still to check my full hd content from Android box.

For now leaving with few pics...*uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190326/a5baa90e690a98dd7458268e2a397e2b.jpg*uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190326/30d311c68978313c2a17b9d144aa1f50.jpg*uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190326/0793b0bfdd3491255d813bf7887bcb26.jpg*uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190326/1573ec17c545cf93479e07973758e630.jpg

Sent from my DUK-L09 using Tapatalk

OP
sandynator

sandynator

Cyborg Agent
So that will be its retail price when launched in showrooms?
Yes somewhere around 55 to 58k as told to me.

One more thing I got made in China piece manufactured by TPV display technology.
I had read somewhere they will be manufacturing here in India by Dixon technologies.
IMG-20190326-WA0007.jpeg

OP
sandynator

sandynator

Cyborg Agent
instead of wasting 60k on such poor quality panel, one can add 15k extra and go with good quality panel.
Yes..
Well I am comparing here with samsung Nu7100. There was no way to compare them side by side but what I had seen in showroom I can say it's inferior to nu7100 in term of contrast for sure.

For a retail price of 55k as told to me I will not vouch for it as older models of samsung or other brands could be sourced in discount.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is one of the reason why I never suggest anyone to buy a TV model without actually seeing it in operation first at some showroom.

OP
sandynator

sandynator

Cyborg Agent
@sandynator Your room is very bright! today's TV are too reflective for such bright rooms, when showing black content. How does your TV look during the night ?
Not yet tested with FHD in pitch dark room but one sample 4k youtube videos was eyecandy.

Yet to check action packed motion scenes in dark.

My problem is when viewing dark scene as I was expecting good native contrast ratio just like Samsung NU7100 or even better to it.

Lot of factors impact the viewing pleasure just as you mentioned the bright sunlight entering the room or even if in larger screen models the black screen uniformity of panel. Tightly packed 4k pixels in 43 inches screen will give slightly more eye popping colours compared to 50 inch screen. The same tv may not look better in house as showroom.

I have one question to all...
At present I have directly connected HDMI cable from tata sky box / Android box to TV and for audio used optical connection to AVR whenever needed. If I am using AVR's HDMI
Port will there be slight improvement in picture quality? (My older tv was connected using AVR's HDMI ports)

Sent from my POCO F1 using Tapatalk

Minion

Conversation Architect
I did not had opportunity to compare Philips 50 inches tv with its competition but I feel quality of panel is poor if compared to Samsung's NU7100 VA Panel.
Less brightness 250 nits compared to 350 nits(read it somewhere) while poor contrast ratio which I did not expected.
Not at all to their UK and European standards as they quoted in marketing and promotional activities.

As mentioned for a retail price of 60k for 50 inches tv it's not at all worth in my opinion. Samsung may offer better VA panel for few more thousands if not for same price.

Good for FHD and 4k online content streaming, even 720p is quite good and watchable.
Connected tata sky hd box on HDMI 1 port which is mix bag may be now I am watching on bigger display.
Colours may not pop out much due to poor contrast.

Official licensed app
Netflix
YouTube
Amazon prime
Eros Now

Still to check my full hd content from Android box.

For now leaving with few pics...*uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190326/a5baa90e690a98dd7458268e2a397e2b.jpg*uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190326/30d311c68978313c2a17b9d144aa1f50.jpg*uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190326/0793b0bfdd3491255d813bf7887bcb26.jpg*uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190326/1573ec17c545cf93479e07973758e630.jpg

Try playing with various settings this tv has micro dimming so contrast should be excellent
Try using these settings

Set contrast according to your requirement

Last edited:
OP
sandynator

sandynator

Cyborg Agent
I am late to comment on my Philips 50 inch tv 6100 series 50 PUT6103S/94 as was outstation.

My living room is very bright during day time so was bit disappointed but now when I checked it at night time it's good display just brightness is bit less compared to samsung nu7100.

Even grey scale uniformity, pitch black, good audio output, no back light bleeding issue like other panels and finally treat to watch online streamed content with jio fibre net.

Now selling on Amazon @41000 which is very good deal IMO.
*www.amazon.in/dp/B07JWCTPN7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_udJeDbHN9BCN4

Last edited:
Top Bottom