Need advice for basic configuration

banskt

Broken In
Hi,

I need your help to avoid overspending in building a basic rig. There's no fixed budget. So, I have a feeling that I am spending over the top for the simple requirements.

I have filled up the questionnaire below:

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run?
Ans: Internet browsing (Chrome, Firefox), watching movies (VLC, mplayer), listening songs (Amarok), viewing PDF files(Acrobat Reader), editing MS Office documents (MS Office 2010)

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: No fixed budget

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Ubuntu and Windows 7 dual boot

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 500GB

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: Yes. Prefer 21" or above.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: UPS, Cabinet, Speaker, HDD
I have an unused (brand new), RMA'ed DH67BL lying around. Confused whether to use it for this rig, or sell it to fund other purchases.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Within next 2 weeks

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Yes. Built a lot of desktops before.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Bangalore. WIll prefer online purchase.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: Concern is to avoid overspending. There would be no upgradation over the next 4 years.

Thanks,
banskt

Last edited:

adityak469

Training To Beat Goku
i 3 4130 - 7k
Gigabyte GA- H 81 M -S 2 PV H 81 - 4. 2k
WD Blue 1 TB - 4k
Any local cabinet - 1k
Antec BP 300 - 2k
ASUS ODD - 1 k
HyperXBlu/HyperXFury - 2. 5 /3k

replace PSU with Antec VP 450p and add R7 250x if you wanna play games later on.

OP
banskt

banskt

Broken In
i 3 4130 - 7k
Gigabyte GA- H81 M -S 2 PV H 81 - 4. 2k
WD Blue 1 TB - 4k
Any local cabinet - 1k
Antec BP 300 - 2k
ASUS ODD - 1 k
HyperXBlu/HyperXFury - 2. 5 /3k

replace PSU with Antec VP 450p and add R7 250x if you wanna play games later on.

Hi, Thanks for the recommendation. So, you think Intel is the way to go? Not the FX series or the A-series APUs?

Thanks,
Saikat

Last edited:

adityak469

Training To Beat Goku
Hi, Thanks for the recommendation. So, you think Intel is the way to go? Not the FX series or the A-series APUs?

Thanks,
Saikat

i3 would be enough as you don't have any demanding tasks. if you go with FX then you'll have to buy a GPU and APU will be a waste.

Top Bottom