Need advice for 4K TV

Gauravchi

Journeyman
1. Budget?
50k to 70k

2. Display type and size?
49inch to 55inch with 4k resolution. Not sure between ELED, OLED, QLED. Would like to know real world differences

3. What will the TV/monitor be used for primarily?
Movies

4. Types and number of ports required?
All the essential ones

5. Preferred choice of brand?
Established Brands with good customer service

6. Any TV/monitor in consideration?
Oneplus seems good but not sure about quality and life as it's new and untested in TVs.

7. Any other info that you want to share.
I have visited retail outlets where the sales guy vouched for Sony highlighting that it has upscaling processor or something, however, I was finding Samsung's picture quality sharper. Samsung, Sony and LG are preferred. I guess a higher hertz would be way to go. Please help.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
ELED is usually inferior to DLED,basically ELED has lower contrast levels(but top brands ELED may perform similar to cheap/low tier brand DLED).

Read this good detailed article which should clear all doubts:
QLED or OLED? We compare the two best TV technologies

I would suggest trusting your own eyes though(aka showroom demo,do check by increasing decreasing contrast,brightness etc because usually these values are maxed out in showroom but won't work inside home because of completely different ambient light environment). It is however generally agreed upon that cheaper qled samsung models are not as good as costlier qled models. Also buy extended warranty wherever possible because TVs nowadays rarely last more than 3-4 years(if they do then consider yourself lucky). Forget about any brand other than sony,lg & samsung if after sales support really matters a lot. Outside of these 3,VU supposedly has the best after sales support among cheap brands(they also offer 2 years extended warranty at 10% of purchase invoice value). OP tv is not such a good option as I read some comments on hifivision forums TV section about it.

Upscaling matters only when you watch something with a resolution lower than TV resolution.For majority this means watching DTH/cable as there are very few 4k channels in India & even a HD channel needs upscaling on 4k screen. Higher Hz also only matters for fact paced scenes which usually means sports tournaments/racing etc.(again read this good detailed article The truth about 4K TV refresh rates ).

meetdilip

Computer Addict
Considering you talking about brands like Sony, I am not sure whether you would want to consider the latest entry Motorola. The reviews so far were not bad. See if you can see it live somewhere and then decide.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Motorola is IPS panel which no doubt has good viewing angles but for movie experience a good VA panel is better as it has much superior contrast & black levels(do note that cheap VA panels have bad viewing angles like the ones coming in latest VU lower end models,earlier VU used IPS panel for even their lower end models).

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Get it,probably the best deal for TV in your budget:
Samsung The Frame 138cm (55 inch) Ultra HD (4K) QLED Smart TV Online at best Prices In India

Some comments about it:
Samsung 55 inch Frame Tv is for 85K

sandynator

Cyborg Agent
Also search for older LG SK 8500 in offline market.
49 inches is tough to source but may get 55 inches.

For brighter room better get q led if possible or high bright ips panels (I prefer Panasonic in budget)

Lg sk8500 is full array panel if not check lg's new launch sm9000 series

Also check Sony's x7500/8000/8500 series in showroom. Sony's picture engine is top notch. I personally found Sony's w800 full hd model superior to samsung 4k models like nu7470/7100 and lg were no way even near to even samsung

Ips panels are good for wide angle viewing but poor contrast.
Do not even think of getting low end models from LG or even Samsung instead VU premium android is great compared to them.

Brightness should be around 500 nits minimum & vu tvs are close to 450 nits.

I was unlucky as I could not get vu 50 inches premium android model due to delay in stocking.

Check tv models in person before taking call. I am sure you can get better deal offline.

Last edited:

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Kind of offtopic.. but I wanted to put this out here:
I bought VU 43" Premium Android TV in this sale from FK. And I am quite looking forward to see how the display quality is in person. It's DLED and seems that I have made good decision. (Got it for Rs 23k after discount).
Will receive TV this Saturday! :D

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^Will be waiting for your review. Don't forget to do some calibration(I think you already did this for your monitor) before regularly using the TV though.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
^^Will be waiting for your review. Don't forget to do some calibration(I think you already did this for your monitor) before regularly using the TV though.
Not sure how to do calibration of TV. I didn't bothered to do it, apart from some brightness and contrast tweaks since the TV seemed too bright.
TV is nice. Seems too big for the small room in which I have installed it. Couldn't install Amazon Prime Video on it initially (after extracting the APK from my phone). But then found out that a separate version of APK needs to be used, after installing which, Prime Video started to work nicely.
The TV have google apps bloat, like Google Movies which can't be removed. Whenever I try to remove the Google Movies shortcut from home screen, it appears again after a reboot. But that is just minor annoyance.
One quirk that I would like to mention: One of the USB port of the TV was not working. But I decided against replacing the whole TV for the hassle. I have decided to RMA it instead, since that would also give me an experience of VU's support. I know, this decision might seem foolish, but everything else is great with the TV. And replacing it will not guarantee 100% right product. Itne paise me shayad itna hi milta hai.
I plan to make a video review of the TV. Might do it some time soon. Since I have many opinions and observations to share.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Check these:
LCD monitor test images
EIZO monitors for offices, photos & design, medicine, gaming and industry

Also,can you post the exact product link from fk for this tv for future reference.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I bought this: Vu Premium Android 108cm (43 inch) Ultra HD (4K) LED Smart Android TV with Cricket Mode Vu Premium Android 108cm (43 inch) Ultra HD (4K) LED Smart Android TV with Cricket Mode

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks. Have you checked those monitor calibration links above,waiting for some feedback from you whenever you get some free time to test those(will take ~10-15 minutes max)?

OP
G

Gauravchi

Journeyman
Postponed this. Spent on other stuffs. Also, good ones are falling out of budget, maybe 4k would get a little cheaper in coming months.

Top Bottom