Need advice and help customizing DELL Studio 15...

confused

Evolving Rapidly...
I have a DELL STUDIO 15 in mind. My customized version comes to around 52k (without processor upgrade).

My requirement will primarily be Simulation Applications (Matlab, Scilab, Multisim), PCB Design (Eagle), etc. Also a bit of programming.
Secondly web browsing, multimedia.
Finally, infrequent gaming.
Also I want to use it for 4 years atleast.

1>So assuming my requirements dont change, will a studio 15 kind of config suffice that long (ie, with some prodding in the last year)???

2>Roughly what is the improvement in battery uptime (in %) in a 9 cell over a 6 cell?

3>I am confused with the processor options:
DELL.CO.IN said:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-450M (2.4GHz, 2Core/4Threads, turbo boost up to 2.66Ghz, 3M cache) [Included in Price]
Intel® Core™ i5-520M Processor (2.4GHz, 4 Threads, turbo boost up to 2.93GHz, 3M cache) [add Rs.3,667.48]
Intel® Core™ i5-540M Processor (2.53GHz, 4 Thread, turbo boost up to 3.06GHz, 3M cache) [add Rs.5,763.18]
Intel® Core™ i7-720QM (1.6GHz, 4 Cores/8 Threads, turbo up to 2.8 GHz, 6MB Cache) [add Rs.7,072.44]
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-740QM (1.73GHz, 4Core/8Threads, turbo boost up to 2.93Ghz, 6M cache) [add Rs.7,072.44]
Is either of i5-540m or i7-720QM worth their extra cost? If yes, which one should i go for?

4>Finally, is a 1080p display overkill for 15.6" display?? And also will it make the text font appear unreadabily small??

Thanks for reading. Any suggestions appreciated.

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
1> Even a P4 based laptop is enough to run matlab, multisim and if you are not a serious gamer then that Laptop should suffice atleast for 5yrs( Even more if you are not attacked by upgrade itch :p)

2> Battery uptime depends on usage, casual use should increase the uptime by roughly 60-70% considering the 6 cell is 56Watt-hr and 9 cell is 85 watt-hr in case of Dell.

3> Stick to i5 450, difference in performance is not that significant for the other i5 options. If you are willing to spend then i7 is an ideal choice.

4> As per reviews and user experience Full HD is not that bad in readability as feared. I can only say about this in a few days as soon as I get my Vaio ;)

blacklight

Journeyman
I have a DELL STUDIO 15 in mind. My customized version comes to around 52k (without processor upgrade).

My requirement will primarily be Simulation Applications (Matlab, Scilab, Multisim), PCB Design (Eagle), etc. Also a bit of programming.
Secondly web browsing, multimedia.
Finally, infrequent gaming.
Also I want to use it for 4 years atleast.

1>So assuming my requirements dont change, will a studio 15 kind of config suffice that long (ie, with some prodding in the last year)???
even the best config can last only 2-3 years max..a better config arrives every 6 months for the same cost..

2>Roughly what is the improvement in battery uptime (in %) in a 9 cell over a 6 cell?
i'd say about 30%..if u can spare the cash..its worth it..

3>I am confused with the processor options:

Is either of i5-540m or i7-720QM worth their extra cost? If yes, which one should i go for?
none of the apps u specified require anything more than i5 ..i'd suggest you spend the money on a graphics card (considering that u want to game and also comes handy when decoding HD movies ) and RAM (the more the better )

4>Finally, is a 1080p display overkill for 15.6" display?? And also will it make the text font appear unreadabily small??

nope ..not an overkill...i have been using one for more than 6 months now and i think its rather cute ..but then that's personal pref...and HD movies on the 1080p is gorgeous..
if you can ..try getting a demo at staples or chroma..and compare the 1080p display with the rest ...a pic is worth 1000 technical terms :)

OP
confused

confused

Evolving Rapidly...
I have a couple of doubts...

The salesperson is offering a PSU/student discount of 5% (after I asked him about any discount).
Just want to confirm if this an usual offer since I had never heard of it before.

Secondly, the guy who called me and the name of the salesperson in the invoice mailed to me are different. Is this okay? cause I dont know just kind of feel something shady.

Thanks for reading.

pauldmps

Banned
The salesperson is offering a PSU/student discount of 5% (after I asked him about any discount).
Just want to confirm if this an usual offer since I had never heard of it before

I have never had heard about Dell giving students discount. Maybe its the dealer who is offering it.

Secondly, the guy who called me and the name of the salesperson in the invoice mailed to me are different. Is this okay? cause I dont know just kind of feel something shady.

That means you were trying to buy it online from the Dell website. So no dealer here. Then I cannot say what is happening.
I recommend that you go to your nearest Dell outlet to configure & buy a laptop since that wey it will be cheaper & a hands on approach.

ruturaj3

Journeyman
I have a couple of doubts...

Just want to confirm if this an usual offer since I had never heard of it before.

Thanks for reading.

When i talked with dell sales person, he told me 5% discount is given under EPP.

OP
confused

confused

Evolving Rapidly...
Okay got it yesterday, 2 days ahead of schedule.
Cost Rs.51300/- after 5% discount on original cost of Rs.54000/-
Specs:i5-450,500GB 7200RPM, 4GB DDR3, ATI 5470 1GB, and a whole lot of bells and whistles.

@ruturaj3 - whats EPP?

Top Bottom